X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey 2011-2012 Season Thread "We Can See Cleary Now"

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
    Which course???
    Can't remember the name but it was the public course right in the village if I recall correctly. I have a souvenir ball with the Vail logo on it.

Comment

I still don't understand why coach starts Stevens regardless of the altitude. Start your starting goalie who is the best goalie out of the three

Comment

Schott speculated on Twitter that Grosenick "may" still be dealing with an illness. Though it hardly seems like it judging by his play once he got in.

Comment

Union never recovered after the poor start. Stevens was fighting it while he was in and even looked shaky on the two saves he made. I like Union's chances against CC tomorrow who lost to Air Force 2-1 tonight.

Comment

Union falls into a tie for 21st in the updated pairwise. CC is now 16th.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/ncaapwcr.php

Comment

Union-Denver highlights

M.Bodie & Welsh post game remarks

Comment

Coach's postgame comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4fxbmyKkWQ

Comment

Bob Driscoll, former Union coach and current Providence athletic director, thinks ex Union coach Nate Leaman could be a legend in the making.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-12-3...k-ethic-friars

Driscoll believes Leaman has the chance to become a legendary bench boss.

"I thought it was an unbelievable opportunity for Nate because I think he’s one of the great up-and-coming young coaches who could turn into a Jackie Parker or a Jerry York,’’ said Driscoll. “I really think he’s the next generation of great coaches..."

Comment

Tonight's lineup with some changes including Josh Jooris sitting out his first game after being injured last night. Kevin Sullivan returns as does Charlie Vasaturo and Mark Bennett. http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...for-unions-ga/

Comment

Not a bad effort tonight, but the offense just wasn't there. CC did a good job of out Unioning Union by blocking a ton of shots and keeping Union away from the front of the net. On to Harvard and Dartmouth next weekend, 4 points should be no problem if Union can play the way they did this weekend but with a little more offense.

Union will need to go on a run through the ECAC much like last year's in the second half if they want any chance at an at-large bid. This weekend's results coupled with an overall lousy non-conference performance by the ECAC this year won't help anyone's pairwise rankings.

Comment

Last night was one of the most entertaining games I've watched this year. The pace of the game was great, both teams played good d and also showed a lot of speed. Union fans have nothing to hang their heads about. It was one hell of a game. I do think the better team won, but the few times I've seen Union this season, they have really impressed me. Good luck the rest of the way, Dutchmen!

(BTW: Isn't "Dutchmen" a hostile and abusive nickname? My background is Pennsylvania Dutch, and I'm deeply offended. )
                        Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                        -dggoddard

Comment

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post

(BTW: Isn't "Dutchmen" a hostile and abusive nickname? My background is Pennsylvania Dutch, and I'm deeply offended. )
                          People from Holland are NOT mascots.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I guess we can take some solace from the fact that Union was more or less in both games, but that's not what it's all about. Two goals in two games is't going to cut it when playing the big time powers. Still maybe some more growth came from entering the cauldron so to speak. My hope for the New Year and the second half of the season is that Union gets some offensive consistency and continues to play "Union" hockey which I guess has become a mantra of sorts. I'd like to see someone step up and carry the team like MVT and Walters did their senior years. Maybe Jeremy Welsh can fill that role, but I have a feeling he's going to be attracting a lot of attention from ECAC coaches as the guy "we can't let beat us", so let's hope he gets some help.

It is probably still a bit early but I think we really shot ourselves in the foot in the PWR and with Colgate and Cornell both ahead of us in that ranking and in the league standings, we will almost certainly have to sweep those four games (a pretty tall order) to have a shot at an NCAA at large bid. Better that we try to win that first ever ECAC tournament title. My down the road New Year's wish is that we go deep into the playoffs and finally get some positive results in the postseason and maybe get to AC where who knows what may happen.

Happy New Year to all out there.

Comment

Three starters who need to have a stronger showing as the calendar flips to 2012

1) Josh Jooris. After getting 32 points in 40 games last year, he has just 7 in 18 games this season. And three of those seven came in one game (11/15 at RPI).

2) Kyle Bodie. The "other" Bodie picked up 9 points in his first seven games, but only has 1 point his last seven.

3) Matt Hatch. The sophomore has 5 points in 12 games (20 in 33 last year) and three of those five came in the season opening rout of Army. He has 2 points in his other 11 games. He's battled injuries this year, but hasn't been the same guy he was last year when he has played.

Who we need to see more of going forward this season

1) Daniel Ciampini. Ciampini came to Union this year with an impressive offensive background. In the previous two seasons, he piled up 170 points (including 75 goals) in 99 games in the OJHL. But he's only appeared in five games, collecting a goal and an assist. The goal was scored on 10/29 and earned praise from Rick Bennett, who called it a "veteran goal." However, it hasn't translated into consistent ice time for the promising forward. For a team with growing offensive concerns, one potential answer is sitting on the sidelines.

2) Mark Bennett. Bennett, another freshman, didn't come to Union with quite the offensive resume that Ciampini did, but in his last two campaigns in the OJHL, Bennett tallied 99 points in 94 games. He's only cracked the lineup eight times, but has shown signs of coming on by picking up assists in two of his last three games played. Like Ciampini, Bennett could provide a spark for the offense and add some potency to the third or fourth lines.
                              Last edited by rdf8585; 01-01-2012, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                                Bob Driscoll, former Union coach and current Providence athletic director, thinks ex Union coach Nate Leaman could be a legend in the making.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-12-3...k-ethic-friars

Driscoll believes Leaman has the chance to become a legendary bench boss.

"I thought it was an unbelievable opportunity for Nate because I think he’s one of the great up-and-coming young coaches who could turn into a Jackie Parker or a Jerry York,’’ said Driscoll. “I really think he’s the next generation of great coaches..."
                                Another self-congratulatory quote from Bob "A Legend in His Own Mind" Driscoll.. While I definitely think Nate is an excellent coach and Union fans should forever be indebted to the fantastic job he did here, he has a long way to go to be considered "legendary". All you have to do is look at Kevin "I took Union as far as I could" Sneddon, who is barely 2 seasons removed from taking UVM to the Frozen Four and now is squarely on the hot seat up in Burlington as he looks at another single-digit-win season. HE is a very tough conference where getting and maintaining a program at a very high level is extremely difficult. The fact that Providence has risen to the .500 level sounds somewhat similar to a certain past Union president's quotes..
                                UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Working...
                                X