X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey 2011-2012 Season Thread "We Can See Cleary Now"

Originally posted by ForgsUhockey View Post
    Im trying to figure out a reason why this would happen but it may be because of the elevation change in Colorado I know Carr mentioned something about needing a new lung on twitter which i thought was funny. Hopefully if Stevens is playing he brings his A game and we get a win tomorrow. No problem just trying to fill ya guys in on news.
    Elevation is no myth, it does change the way teams think. Some teams will come to Denver a day or 2 earlier than normal simply to get used to the difference.
    Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
    www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
      Elevation is no myth, it does change the way teams think. Some teams will come to Denver a day or 2 earlier than normal simply to get used to the difference.
      I have heard there are two theories on "flatlanders" dealing with the altitude. One is to get into town late, and get out fast. The other is to get there early to acclimate. I guess Union opted for plan 2, getting in yesterday.

Comment

Considering the elevation and the effects of that, I think it's reasonable to split the goalie starts this weekend (especially when you have two #1 caliber goalies).

I've heard before that if you're not used to it, playing at that elevation can be more physically taxing... at least in terms of baseball players (Coors Field). I'm sure hockey is the same, if not more pronounced.

Comment

Schott reports that Penn St is tentatively set to play a 2 game set at Messa on 11/23-11/24/2012. It's also believed Union will play in the Catamount Cup at Vermont next season. Nothing confirmed.

https://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs...-on-union-201/

Comment

Yesterday 10:23 PM #341 ServinisScores
            View Profile View Forum Posts

I'm an Implant Engineer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts:448Re: RPI 2011 - 12 Part IV: We ain't Bailen on this season yet, Go Red!!

On another note, HTH does Union get the Fenway game at Harvard, and we're schlepping between beanpot games?

saw this on a different post.......little sour grapes????
            few reasons:
            1 fenway offered to harvard on that day
            2 they wanted more then 100 people there
            3 they wanted a good game?

Comment

The Union Athletics Dept has posted a Kelly Zajac interview on YouTube: http://youtu.be/ZFBh7ZPiNI0

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                Considering the elevation and the effects of that, I think it's reasonable to split the goalie starts this weekend (especially when you have two #1 caliber goalies).

I've heard before that if you're not used to it, playing at that elevation can be more physically taxing... at least in terms of baseball players (Coors Field). I'm sure hockey is the same, if not more pronounced.
                I wouldnt say hes a #1 goalie caliber as of right now. We haven't seen him against many teams. I believe Troy is definitely better and i strongly believe that is what the players think as well. I agree with the split of games and giving stevens this one since I do think CC may be the stronger team right now but then it brings a risk in like the other games hes played not coming away with a win. Granted he has fine stats but its how comfortable teams feel playing in front of a certain goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by unionbob View Post
                  Yesterday 10:23 PM #341 ServinisScores
                  View Profile View Forum Posts

I'm an Implant Engineer

On another note, HTH does Union get the Fenway game at Harvard, and we're schlepping between beanpot games?

saw this on a different post.......little sour grapes????
                  few reasons:
                  I'd probably be a little grumpy too if my team was 3-13.

Comment

Originally posted by unionbob View Post
                    few reasons:
                    1 is the most likely. If they wanted 2, they should have made sure at least one of the teams had actual fans. If they wanted 3 Harvard wouldn't be there.
                    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

As far as the outdoor game is concerned I hope that in all the hype we don't lose sight of the fact that two big points are at stake. Also, they have to bus back home for the RPI game the next night. I know Union has sold out their entire allotment of tickets to Fenway, well over 600 and that many more are buying general sale tickets. Last I saw, the pregame alumni reception was also sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                        I've heard before that if you're not used to it, playing at that elevation can be more physically taxing.
                        Yes it makes a huge difference. The air really is thinner, there is less oxygen for each lungful of air. The first time I went swimming at altitude, I was amazed at the difference. I could swim 50 yards underwater on one breath at sea level, at 8,500 feet I could only make it about 12 yards! (though Denver is not nearly that high...it was funny when we went 'down' to 'only' a mile high, we noticed the opposite effect! it was a lot easier to do stuff at 5,000 feet than at 8,500 feet.)
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Good Morning Union Fans,

Those of you coming to Denver, welcome! Hope you enjoy our 60 degree Rocky Mountain winter!

Hoping for a fantastic game tonight. Haven't seen Union play since that first night at Magness.

Best of Luck against CC tomorrow night!
                          Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                          www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            Yes it makes a huge difference. The air really is thinner, there is less oxygen for each lungful of air. The first time I went swimming at altitude, I was amazed at the difference. I could swim 50 yards underwater on one breath at sea level, at 8,500 feet I could only make it about 12 yards! (though Denver is not nearly that high...it was funny when we went 'down' to 'only' a mile high, we noticed the opposite effect! it was a lot easier to do stuff at 5,000 feet than at 8,500 feet.)
                            I played golf once at Vail and I was easily hitting my irons an extra 15 or 20 yards. Thinner air was of no assistance though in finding my ball.

Comment

line chart for tonights game vs Denver.

Stevens is in fact in the net like i said earlier. *****http://unionhockey.tumblr.com/post/15044782598/12-30-union-line-chart-vs-denver******

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                                I played golf once at Vail and I was easily hitting my irons an extra 15 or 20 yards. Thinner air was of no assistance though in finding my ball.
                                Which course???

RIP Butch

sigpic
                                www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Working...
                                X