Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Regional sites announced

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...100511aaa.html

Northeast: Verizon Wireless Arena, Manchester, NH (hosted by New Hampshire)
    East: Dunkin' Donuts Center, Providence, RI (hosted by Brown)
    Midwest: Huntington Center, Toledo, OH (hosted by Bowling Green)
    West: Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, MI (hosted by Michigan)

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Re: 2013 Regional sites announced

Interesting. Michigan "wised up" on knowing that they weren't getting Yost bids anymore and can probably turn Van Andel into home ice against anyone else not in the state of Michigan, where it'd be neutralish and avoid having to play BC in Providence, NH in Manchester etc.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
      Interesting. Michigan "wised up" on knowing that they weren't getting Yost bids anymore and can probably turn Van Andel into home ice against anyone else not in the state of Michigan, where it'd be neutralish and avoid having to play BC in Providence, NH in Manchester etc.
      Yep, I had the same thoughts. They submitted bids for Yost every year, and finally went with the neutral site 2+ hours away. The unfortunate situation for Michigan is that while they are hosting a regional in Grand Rapids (134 miles from Ann Arbor), there is a regional taking place in Toledo (53 miles from Ann Arbor) that would be a much easier road trip for the majority of their fans.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Love the regional in Providence. Great city. Fun places to eat and drink. Beats the hell out of Manchester, Bridgeport, Worcester and Albany.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          NCAA is implementing a "neutral site preferred" policy moving forward.

Comment

Thank you Brown for bringing hockey back to RI

Comment

Awesome about having the regional in Providence.

This will help avoid the ugly matchup that would force HE to play UNH in virtual home games up in Manchester. Providence is also much more accesible than Manchester since people can take the commuter rail down to it. Great choice.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                Love the regional in Providence. Great city. Fun places to eat and drink. Beats the hell out of Manchester, Bridgeport, Worcester and Albany.
                City-wise, yes, but the arena is the third or 4th best on that list of 5 cities you mentioned..

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
                  Yep, I had the same thoughts. They submitted bids for Yost every year, and finally went with the neutral site 2+ hours away. The unfortunate situation for Michigan is that while they are hosting a regional in Grand Rapids (134 miles from Ann Arbor), there is a regional taking place in Toledo (53 miles from Ann Arbor) that would be a much easier road trip for the majority of their fans.
                  You think if Western's any good that year and gets into Toledo we could petition the NCAA to flip locations?
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                    City-wise, yes, but the arena is the third or 4th best on that list of 5 cities you mentioned..
                    Are their chairs for us fans to sit in at the Dunk? Yes. The atmospheres at regionals have gotten so lame with four teams instead of six and some the stupid rules on regionalization that I don't care anymore. I'm just happy to have a regional in a cool city. You couldn't even get the bars in Worcester to turn on ESPNU. At least in Albany, Jillian's used to turn every available TV on to the other regional games.

Comment

Great news about Providence. Long time coming for them. I really enjoy the regionals in Manch too so you have two great locations out east for 2013.

BC won't have to go west of Pittsburgh to bring home the 2013 national title.

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                      This will help avoid the ugly matchup that would force HE to play UNH in virtual home games up in Manchester.
                      Ugly matchup with UNH in the NCAAs? That's beautiful to most teams. It's practically a bye.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        Ugly matchup with UNH in the NCAAs? That's beautiful to most teams. It's practically a bye.
                        UNH is 3-0 in first-round games over the past three seasons. Each of their opponents captured either the regular season or tournament championship for their conference (NoDak 08-09, Cornell 09-10, Miami 10-11).
                        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                          UNH is 3-0 in first-round games over the past three seasons. Each of their opponents captured either the regular season or tournament championship for their conference (NoDak 08-09, Cornell 09-10, Miami 10-11).
                          And 0-3 in second round games. Has UNH ever made it to the FF out of Manchester? I can't recall it off the top of my head.
                          time to write new history

Comment

Everything in the eastern time zone. Figures.
                            St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                              Everything in the eastern time zone. Figures.
                              Anyone outside of UMD with their own rink (which unsurprisingly got rejected) bid this time around?

Comment

Working...
                              X