Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SLU Hockey 2011-2012

Originally posted by freego View Post
    Saints were outworked for most of the contest. Very little jump, lost most battles for the puck, very poor defense. Officiating wasn't much better but then they were ECAC refs
    Taking the wife to Michigan for Thursday's game. Anyone else going?
    Long way to go for one game!!! I made the trip there a few years ago when we opened the season out there and it was fun and a treat to see Yost and hear how loud and awesome the crowd is there. The best part is when two sides of the arena start chanting opposite each other shouting out Michigan's colors.

Thanks for the update. Looks like we are going to be a work in progress. I thought for sure we would split. Ferris was the one on the long trip yet they had the jump in our barn. Not a positive sign!!! It certainly won't get any easier in Ann Arbor.
    SLU

Comment

Yeah, defintely disappointing results. It is hard to get positive momentum when you get called for a major in the first on a very questionable call. The summary from this weekend is pretty simple: 1) Stay out of the box (and yeah, welcome to the ECAC Frosh where the officiating is bewilderingly bad), 2) score more goals and 3) when you put yourself down and you get momentum back you have to outwork the other team to build on that. I have not watched all the games because I have been at a wedding on the left coast, but saw enough to say this.
      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Harp 34 View Post
        All that $$$ spent could not get any offense.
        Actually, it did. NY scored 28 runs, and outscored Detroit by eleven, over five games, and had boatloads of baserunners in Game 5. The only thing wrong with the offense was the 4 and 5 hitters didn't do squat, but even with that they scored enough runs to win the series - heck, they got four runs in the game Verlander pitched, which should have been enough. Rodriguez and Texeira definitely didn't pull their weight, but they did play great in the field. When it comes right down to it, the biggest factor in the loss was the one nobody saw coming: the fifth-best pitcher in their rotation turned out to be C.C. Sabathia. Also, 5-game series are ALWAYS crapshoots in baseball.

I really hope SLU can manage a win this weekend, but at the very least this trip can be good preparation for league play.
        Last edited by TimU; 10-11-2011, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Pevs signed a 3 year extension with the Bruins yesterday for just under 10 mil. Really, really awesome to see him be making it in the bigs, and finally going to be making what he's worth, or closer to it. I'd bet that you Boston fans here are even happier about it

Comment

Losing 9-3 to Michigan. Embarassing......I cannot believe the Saints are that bad. Too much talent to be losing like this. Its apparent without Joe, we are a completely different program.
            LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
              Losing 9-3 to Michigan. Embarassing......I cannot believe the Saints are that bad. Too much talent to be losing like this. Its apparent without Joe, we are a completely different program.
              Even worse, it was 10-3. It's hard to tell if we got outplayed that much, or if Michigan is just that good and can finish. The stats show a pretty even game.

Let's look at some positives though: only 3 penalties, 1 in each period. 2-6 on the PP. 3-3 on the PK. Also, Grilk played the 3rd, and we all know he is the 4th horse in that barn.

I am concerned that our goaltending situation looks pretty underwhelming with now. Weninger has had a couple bad games now, and Moss hasn't played real well either. I would like to see Spads get the nod Saturday to see how he fares, but I don't know if he made the trip. I certainly didn't expect this game to be real close, but I also didn't expect to give up a 10-spot to the Michigan Foot.. I mean hockey team.

On to RIT Saturday before a few weeks off before league play against the Capital District. Let's hope they put forth a good effort to build on Saturday night.

Comment

10 goals on 34 shots? Yeesh. Even if they had 34 breakaways that would be around average.

by the way, I'm a Michigan State guy so i was hoping you guys would win tonight.

Comment

Sorry Tim - was referring to $ both team's spent on long, massive contracts for their #4 & 5 hitters: ARod, Teixera and Howard.

Tough one tonight for SLU - hopefully they can make the necessary adjustments and tack on the first W of the season at RIT.

Comment

Originally posted by Harp 34 View Post
                    Sorry Tim - was referring to $ both team's spent on long, massive contracts for their #4 & 5 hitters: ARod, Teixera and Howard.

Tough one tonight for SLU - hopefully they can make the necessary adjustments and tack on the first W of the season at RIT.
                    I agree with that 100%. You can pay them a billion dollars a year, but it doesn't mean they're going to hit.

I hope SLU can manage a win tomorrow too, but I'm not holding my breath at this point. Tough travel weekend, and they didn't exactly come out firing on all cylinders this year. And if you don't have a goaltender playing well, it doesn't much matter what everybody else does. One of those guys has to step it up (or better yet, two of them).

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                      I agree with that 100%. You can pay them a billion dollars a year, but it doesn't mean they're going to hit.

I hope SLU can manage a win tomorrow too, but I'm not holding my breath at this point. Tough travel weekend, and they didn't exactly come out firing on all cylinders this year. And if you don't have a goaltender playing well, it doesn't much matter what everybody else does. One of those guys has to step it up (or better yet, two of them).
                      One of the Michigan posters said on their thread we dominated the first 12 minutes or so, but then #4 in the country woke up and played like #4 in the country should be playing. Sounded like both teams slept in the 3rd until Michigan's 8th goal, then SLU packed it in and didn't play at all. They mentioned that Flanny showed up to play... but not much else.

I'm with you, Tim. Hoping for a spark tomorrow night, but not expecting anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
                        Wanted to say something after last weekend but figured it was only the first weekend and should keep my mouth closed. However, it is already extremely clear that the team is in complete disarray without Joe. Last weekend was the sloppiest and most undisciplined SLU hockey team I have seen in my 25 years of following them. Then to play hard for the first 10 minutes last night then completely bag it the rest of the way is embarrassing. I know they are young and it's early in the season and the other 30 excuses we can throw out there for them but it is very evident this team needs a major shake-up and saying that only 3 games in is not good at all.

Praying harder then ever for a speedy recovery for Joe.
                        Mr. Hoot Owl says, "Scary isn't it ?!? You never know!!!"

Comment

10 to 3. There's nothing else to say.
                          GO SAINTS.

Comment

Ummm, I think Sabathia was the 5th, 6th, 7th and part of the 8th best pitcher. What a tank of love he has turned into. A-roid sucked as he generally does when it counts. But, at least, it was not the Red Sox implosion with the starting rotation drinking beer in the clubhouse during games, playing video games and eating french fries and hotdogs. I don't even know what Francona and Epstein do in that situation, but I would put them on waivers and call up all of Pawtucket. That is just inexcusable. It's all good now though...really don't care who wins. Different reasons to root for any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenBear View Post
                              Wanted to say something after last weekend but figured it was only the first weekend and should keep my mouth closed. However, it is already extremely clear that the team is in complete disarray without Joe. Last weekend was the sloppiest and most undisciplined SLU hockey team I have seen in my 25 years of following them. Then to play hard for the first 10 minutes last night then completely bag it the rest of the way is embarrassing. I know they are young and it's early in the season and the other 30 excuses we can throw out there for them but it is very evident this team needs a major shake-up and saying that only 3 games in is not good at all.

Praying harder then ever for a speedy recovery for Joe.
                              You are probably right and I bet it has last to do with X's and O's which Hurley and Carvey can cover in spades, but just the fire that Joe bring to the room and the fire breathing mentality he breathes on the players. I think the classic Joe speech is good for an extra goal or two per game. But after 4 games and 24 GA against and 8 for, with three of those games at home...ouch! Win at RIT is now almost a must to have something to build on for the rest of October, but that is going to be tough. This team is finding ways to show its youth and is a long way from where they want to be. Wishing Joe, Hurley and Carvey the best. If BP was still around I wonder which player would be wearing a chair right now. 10-1 at Maine, 10-3 at Michigan. Those are probably the two biggest **** shows ever for SLU hockey....well other than 8.1 @ Brown. Very frustrating sledding early.

Comment

I know that the performance of our Saints has been a little off so far in the early part of this season. But for posters here to say the lack of Joe is completely unfair to our coaching staff.

Last night Ferris beat RPI 4-0. I was at appletown for the Ferris games. While no real studs were in their roster, they were clones of one and other; big, skated well and had solid puck movement and overall, a very good team.

Thursday night, our goal tending had an off night. One in three shots went into the net. As one non-SLU poster put it...with 34 breakaways we could hope for about the same outcome. Wenny and Moss are certainly better than that, so let's chalk that up to an off-night.

This team is not a 20 win team but I'll bet they will be alright. In the meantime, I know the kids are really happy with the level of coaching they are getting and if you asked them if they need Joe or even BP to right the ship... (While they would be happy to have Joe back) they would say it has nothing to do with the guys behind the bench.

Just win baby!

Comment

Working...
                                X