PDA

View Full Version : SLU Hockey 2011-2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

critsports
01-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Say it isn't so, Joe!

Saw this article today in the Watertown Times.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20120126/BLOGS05/120129843/-1/blogs05

Wholin1
01-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Coach Marsh was a scheduled guest on Ken Schott's radio show this a.m. but had to cancel due to a medical appointment. I was looking forward to hearing from him and I wish him the best. He is a class act all the way.

Muskieman
01-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Say it isn't so, Joe!

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20120126/BLOGS05/120129843/-1/blogs05

I saw it too. Joe's retirement, if and when it takes place, is a day that we all dread. My gut tells me, and this is not baased on any discussions with Joe, that said retirement would be announced and take place during an off-season, as I'm virtually certain that Joe would not want the recognition stuff/ceremonies that would take place at opposition arenas throughout a season, even at Clarkson.:) He will do it his way with little fanfare IMO.

If he does, indeed, opt to retire, he will leave a legacy and then some. He has had a phenominal career and has always done things the right way.

Get well soon, Joe.

GoldenBear
01-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Rumor mill around Canton has been heating up lately that Joe is going to retire at the end of this year. Nothing set in stone but that rumor has picked up major steam since Christmas break ended.

Get well soon Joe and hope to see you behind the bench again next year!

FlagDUDE08
01-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Say it isn't so, Joe!

Although this is sad news, I'm sure he will be remembered by everyone who has followed ECAC hockey for the past number of years. I know his legend has certainly earned my respect.

joecct
01-27-2012, 03:31 PM
A bit off the beaten track, but former SLU coach Mike McShane is sitting at 599 wins. #600 could come tonight vs. Southern Maine. If you want to watch, www.nsnsports.com.

TimU
01-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Once again . . . I can't believe I paid $8.00 to watch that.

Ouch.

critsports
01-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Once again . . . I can't believe I paid $8.00 to watch that.

Ouch.

The $12.00 to see it in person wasn't any better bargain!!!

Let's see what can I say about the game......how many hackneyed expressions can I work into one paragraph?????

I guess I have to "think outside the box", I thought we were going to be "second to none", "by and large" I thought with all the underclassmen; this year would be a "win/win situation". "That being said" "it's needless to say" that tonight's play was not "poetry in motion". But "were moving forward" to tomorrow's game against a better team and we need to improve in "leaps and bounds" as "a case in point" Union is currently "the bomb".
But....."que sera, sera", "come what may", I'm not going to "bend the truth"....."blah, blah, blah", no matter how you "slice and dice" it we have to "seize the day" or we'll "pay the piper". "Don't shoot the messenger" but I have to "call the shots" as I see them and without giving "too much information" about tonight I'd have to say we look like "we mailed it in".

W-force
01-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Sidearm sports put in writing that my $6.00 to watch this game (?) will be refunded due to Union tech difficulties.
Nothing to say. moments away from a weekend shutout....Marsh news...no apparent effort from the boys...how about some frustration...nothin.

TimU
01-29-2012, 11:03 AM
I think we can stop arguing about whether hoping for a .500 finish is being too negative and pessimistic. Wow.

critsports
01-29-2012, 12:09 PM
I think we can stop arguing about whether hoping for a .500 finish is being too negative and pessimistic. Wow.

Some random observations about the weekend..............

-Got to Union a bit late and remarkably could only get a "standing room" ticket. My, my how things have changed over the last few years. Now if that ever happens at Brown I'll know the world is definitely ending soon.
-Union appears to be the class of the league this year although having seen most every team now I don't think the ECAC has a legitimate NCAA caliber contender. Union while very good and deep; is not as talented as last year and Ylae is well below the last few years. Can someone else emerge to represent the ECAC well in the NCAA's???
-Not sure what happened to that team I saw play two inspired games in Hanover in the Dartmouth tournament??????? Back then we skated hard, played a complete game, created space and opportunities, and had an awesome power play.
-Clearly the boys and coaches (along with us) must be very frustrated and disappointed with their play of late. I hope we can somehow find our mojo again before the season totally slips away.
-That was arguably the worst weekend of hockey I have seen an SLU team play in quite some time. To RPI and Unions credit they gave us no room all weekend long (particularly Union).

I hope with a week of good practice the team can re-discover something that makes us at least competitive as they head down to my neck of the woods this coming weekend.

hockeyplayer1015
02-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Hm, apparently they were interested in this great game we call hockey tonight! Big win down at the Whale, interested to hear Mike's comments about the game, seemed we forgot the game was 60 minutes again, getting dominated in the 3rd, but we got a PP in OT and Carey made them pay. On to Meehan tomorrow, hope everybody prays to the hockey Gods tonight.

TimU
02-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Well how about that!

critsports
02-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Hm, apparently they were interested in this great game we call hockey tonight! Big win down at the Whale, interested to hear Mike's comments about the game, seemed we forgot the game was 60 minutes again, getting dominated in the 3rd, but we got a PP in OT and Carey made them pay. On to Meehan tomorrow, hope everybody prays to the hockey Gods tonight.

Watching this team play is a lot like going fishing.
Many times you don't catch any fish at all.....and sometimes (like last weekend) you don't even get a bite. But if you're a fisherman you keep goign because you know that one of these times, just maybe.....you're going to catch a big one. And that's what happened tonight.

The team looked renewed and refreshed and came out playing much better in the first period. Unlike last weekend we were able to break out with the puck and we were often able to make a play and carry the puck into the attacking zone (instead of the dump outs and dump ins of the last few games.) Yale was storming pretty good in the first and when they went on the PP I though the second call to put them on an extended 5 on 3 was a bit much. Killing that off was big. Yale had a decided edge in the first until after we scored to tie it.
Once we did........it seemed to really lift the teams spirits and they came out flying in the second. They turned what was a SOG deficit after one into a SOG lead after two and a 3-1 lead. Martins goal that gave us the lead of 3-1 was big and in case no one noticed that is I think his 9th of the year....pretty good for a freshman.
I was worried Ylae would come out flying in the third and they did pick it up but we held our own until they made it 3-2. Then the ice started to tilt a bit. We weathered that storm and we actually had some chances. As the game wound down we had a nice stretch of keeping the puck down the Ylae end and then as only Ylae can do........they turned the puck up ice, pulled the goalie, somehow quickly got us 2-1 and Agostino ripped a wicked shot up under the bar to tie it.
In OT Eli was carrying the play and we were on our heels a bit until the boarding call on Langaniere. The PP struck quickly and Carey one timed a puck from the right circle high into the net for the OT winner. You have to pretty much figure Ylae is pretty tired of seeing Carey at this point!!!

Overall we were competitive the whole game, we moved the puck better, we hustled back (but not quick enough as Ylae can transition well) and our PP really moved the puck around well again.

I don't dare go to the Brown game tomorrow night. I've had enough torture in that mausoleum of horrors and in spite of the renewed faith that tonight brought........I don't think I'll go fishing tomorrow night. (But hopefully that doesn't mean the fish aren't biting!!)

vicb
02-04-2012, 08:10 AM
........I don't dare go to the Brown game tomorrow night. I've had enough torture in that mausoleum of horrors and in spite of the renewed faith that tonight brought........I don't think I'll go fishing tomorrow night. (But hopefully that doesn't mean the fish aren't biting!!)

If you do go be prepared for Wrestling On Ice. CCT/Bruno was an ugly game and the third period at one point there were 9 guys sharing the penalty box for both teams :eek: . Reminded me more of the uglier aspects of the NHL. Thank God there were no fights.

Congrats on the win but you guys did us no favors ;) . We won at Cheel on a questionable call and now have to also face a Ylae team that lost and reading the Ylae thread thru their Blue Glasses lost on a questionable penalty in OT. Ugh.

critsports
02-04-2012, 10:57 AM
If you do go be prepared for Wrestling On Ice. CCT/Bruno was an ugly game and the third period at one point there were 9 guys sharing the penalty box for both teams :eek: . Reminded me more of the uglier aspects of the NHL. Thank God there were no fights.

Congrats on the win but you guys did us no favors ;) . We won at Cheel on a questionable call and now have to also face a Ylae team that lost and reading the Ylae thread thru their Blue Glasses lost on a questionable penalty in OT. Ugh.

I didn't think it was that questionable of a call Vic. You had a big kid (Langaniere) cross check a small player face first into the boards. Ironically it (to me) was the exact same call they made on Dewey in the first period to give Ylae a 5 on 3 PP which had they scored on I can almost predict the outcome of the game would have been different.

With Ylae just be prepared for the usual lightening quick breakouts and turning the puck up the ice into offense quicker than just about any team. They are clearly not as good as the past few years, and their goal tending at times can still be an achilles heel, but with guys like O'Neill, Agostino, Ziegler, Brockett, etc. they can still be scary on the offensive side.

Excellent highlights of all the goals for both teams are up on the ECAC website by the way if anyone wants to see them.

http://http://www.ecachockey.com/men/index (http://www.ecachockey.com/men/index)

TimU
02-04-2012, 09:16 PM
What a great win. Don't know what the coaches and players did during the week to right the ship, but it worked.

hockeyplayer1015
02-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Could have used a Clarkson win over Yale to help us out a bit, but all we can do is win and let things happen. Tied with Princeton at 13, 3 points behind QU heading into next weekend. The boys need to make Appleton the toughest barn to play in the league effective now if they want to make any sort of a charge, the standings are more bunched up than usual this year.

Harp 34
02-04-2012, 10:22 PM
:eek: Wow, we beat Brown @ Brown - nice weekend Saints!

critsports
02-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Two words after this weekend and last.

Jeckyll

Hyde