X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2011-2012 season thread

Originally posted by TopShelf999 View Post
    you guys are looking strong this year to say the least..looks like another 4 point weekend coming up!
    Are you stirring the pot on this thread with a Monday jinx?
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      The question has to be asked...why does NU have a better feed? Go out and hire the person from NU who's in charge. I'm adding this topic to the 2nd letter I'm writing...
      I think their webcast site is brand new. All broadcasts are free for this year it says. I don't know if that's a long term thing or a promotional thing to get the word out for their new website. I will say that in the 3rd period they asked a lot for people to go to a website and provide their feedback for the broadcast.

They have a standard definition broadcast and an HD broadcast that is, really, just second to none. Never seen anything even remotely like it for a college hockey broadcast.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        I'd like to point out that I watch the online video feed regularly and rarely have any problems. The quality isn't amazing but it's live video, so I'm pretty thrilled with that.

It's not NU - which is the best I have ever seen - but it definitely does the job.
        I watched the video feed from the BC at NU game earlier this year and was dissapointed. It would play for 3-4 seconds, then pause for 5-6 seconds. Could it be my computer? Granted the feed was free. I would expect one you would pay for to be better, but who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          Eight players on the roster with a PPG clip this season.

Among those are a list of guys we had said needed to step it up in the preseason and they have.

Arnold - He wasn't necessarily on the list of guys because he's only a sophomore yet he leads the team in goals (6, tied with Kreider) and points with 12. Fantastic player, probably our best all-around player at forward (leads team in +/- as well at +8)

Kreider - 6G,5A, 11. Obviously he was a guy that had a chance to step into the scoring role and we had been waiting for it for a while after seeing what he does in the big games. He's delivered. Penalties (of the stupid variety) have been an early issue but I think he behaved himself this weekend judging from the boxes.

Mullane - 2,8,10. Don't focus on just two goals. This team is full of scorers and he is a setup guy that has the ability to score and complements scorers wonderfully. Probably a Ben Eaves type player but a slight step below his level. Another guy we knew could step up and has done so. What would happen to his two linemates if he got hurt? I suspect a large drop in production. He's a huge cog to the offense.

Gaudreau - 5,4,9. A gift just dropped out of the heavens and into BC's lap. Freshmen can't be counted on for a ton of scoring but this kid is killing it right out of the gate and that has helped BC surge out to a 7-1-0 record. Frightening 4-year potential. Poor Northeastern.

Whitney - 4,5,9. Definitely a guy that was on the radar that we were hoping would step up. Again, he has. Even better he is staying out of the box (4 PIMs). That means he's moving his feet and not playing lazy with the feet or stick. He's a huge asset on the PP. Good vision, nice one-timer (which is a huge deal in college IMO)... he will be a key to the PP going forward as well.

Kevin Hayes - 2,7,9. Hayes had a rough start but has definitely been playing better since the home opener. Another guy that seems to complement his linemates and it's working out well for him and he is moving the feet more often than the first few games. Similar to Arnold in that you didn't necessarily NEED a huge jump from his as he is just a sophomore, he's filling in for the losses in production of Gibbons and Whitney nicely along with the rest of the guys. He's got more creativity and setup ability than I had thought.

Barry Almeida - 4,4,8. Good balance to his scoring line. This kid is crafty and if he you put him with some better players he will put up points as we're seeing this season. His role in past seasons probably kept his scoring line down but he's having a heck of a year so far. Definitely was high on the radar for guys that we could really hope to see a jump up in production and he's taking care of business. He's dangerous anytime he has the puck.

Brian Dumoulin - 2,6,8. Not much needs to be said for him. Not only is he scoring a PPG as a defenseman but he is +8 for the season, tied for the team lead in +/- (Arnold). We knew what we had in him early in his freshman year. He just consistently plays at a high level. You don't see guys like this come through BC very often.

In summation, we really have seen some nice surprises to help with the offensive production and we have had a lot of guys step up that we needed to step up. 7-1-0 is what you get with good goaltending and the situation above. The only other guy that was high on the radar for needing to step up a bit was Carey and he has a respectable 2,4,6 line through 8 games and I give him a pass for the early season lack of production because of who he was skating with. He is a good player and leads the team in SOG this season.

All in all this team seems to have a nice mix of players at forward at least. Some good setup guys. Some good scorers. Some good all around guys.

What about the D? Wey can and needs to be a bit better when he gets back. Alber needs to be more consistent. He is like Sneep or Samuelsson (does anyone miss him by the way? thankfully he left and we got the schollie back for Gaudreau) back there. Shea has been pretty good IMO. Macleod has been ok. 4-6 were my concern but look at the defensive players BC has won national titles with (especially 2008).

Let's see what happens when these guys hit some more adversity. No need to look past Maine.
          My additions...

Arnold - I expect at some point, with Jerry's usual juggling, we will see him centering Whitney and Gaudreau. That, IMO, would be a killer line.

Kreider - No more 30' wristers... he's going to the net with speed and power and it's paying dividends.

Mullane - If he gets open around the net, Gaudreau will find him and goals will come. Good, steady player at both ends of the ice. Would compliment any linemates he plays with.

Gaudreau - Best frosh forward I have seen at BC since B. Gionta. Has the passing ability of B. Eaves and the scoring ability of Gerbe. Helluva combination. His goal Saturday night was a thing of beauty... waited for the D-man to slide towards him a little more and then used him as a screen. Ripped a wrister from the circle between the d-man's legs, top shelf, far side of the net. Unfreaking believable.

Whitney - His one timer was a beauty. Been watching BC forwards for years give the goaltender time to recover. Whitney's shot was never seen by the goalie... was in the net before he slid across the crease.

Hayes - Yes, he has picked up his game and seems to be more comfortable at wing than center. Good combination with Kreider.

Almeida - A lot of his scoring comes from plain old hard work. The kid works his butt off every shift.

Dumoulin - Not much to add... just a fabulous player.

Tommy Cross - Getting more PP time. Want to see them set him up more on the PP as he slides into the center slot or at the back door... then crash the net. He's got a cannon for a shot and usually very accurate. This was very productive last season after he returned from injury.

Carey - Goals are gonna come. Patience grasshopper.

Michael Sit - DNP the first 5 games, played the last three. First time I saw him was UML Saturday night and he looked pretty darn good at center to me. He played wing his first two games (@NU & @UML)... anyone notice his play?

You guys have hit the nail on the head. If they play 'em one game at a time and don't look ahead this will be one tough team to beat. Great depth and work ethic. Seem to be at their best when they are hitting. They transition well and create nice rushes when checking guys off the puck.

Go Eagles!
          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
            Arnold - I expect at some point, with Jerry's usual juggling, we will see him centering Whitney and Gaudreau. That, IMO, would be a killer line.
            The more I see Arnold, the more he reminds me of Kobasew.
            Originally posted by mookie1995
            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
              The more I see Arnold, the more he reminds me of Kobasew.
              His style is certainly similar.

You piqued my curiosity so I went back to 2001.
              Kobasew frosh (only) season was 3rd in scoring with 27 goals, 22 assists, 49 points (Behind Gionta 33-21-54 and Kolanos 25-25-50).
              Led the team in game winning goals (10).
              First in PPG (14)
              1 Shortie and 1 Hat Trick

That was one HeII of a freshman season. Not to mention HE Tournament MVP and Rookie of the Year, IIRC.

Check out the stats for that team. Holy Crap!
              2000-2001 Team Stats
              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Thought you guys would be interested in this...

SCHEDULE UPDATE

Lucia said he is happy North Dakota is playing the Gophers at Mariucci Arena. The Gophers have played nine of the last 11 games in the series at the Ralph. That's partly because Minnesota had to travel there for a three-game, first round WCHA playoff series at the end of the 2009-10 season.

Lucia said he hopes to play North Dakota when the Gophers join the Big Ten Conference in 2014-15 and the Fighting Sioux become members of the National Collegiate Hockey Conference. But how often will depend on how many conference games the NCHC will play. The new conference could play up to 28 league games, he said, leaving room to schedule only six nonconference games.

He said the Gophers and the Fighting Sioux would play at Mariucci one year and at the Ralph the other in any scheduling arrangement they make after they are in different conferences.

Boston College coach Jerry York e-mailed Lucia about a fourth-year scheduling agreement. One year, the Gophers would head East and play Boston College and Boston University the same weekend, Lucia said, the next year, Boston College would play at Mariucci, then the Gophers would play at BU and BC and, in the fourth year, BU would visit the Gophers.
                Lucia said the Gophers and Notre Dame have discussed playing each other, too. The Irish and Gophers*play one game, the U.S. Hall of Fame Game, in early January this season.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/132972948.html

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post

Kobasew frosh (only) season was 3rd in scoring with 27 goals, 22 assists, 49 points (Behind Gionta 33-21-54 and Kolanos 25-25-50).
                  First in PPG (14)

That was one HeII of a freshman season. Not to mention HE Tournament MVP and Rookie of the Year, IIRC.

2000-2001 Team Stats
                  Never get tired of seeing that gionta (5) from the Maine game. Didn't he throw the puck into the net as well that night?
                  “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                  Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                  Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                  National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Sorry Guys I predict a Black Bear win this weekend.
                    Go Black Bears!

Comment

First in PPG (14)

2000-2001 Team Stats
                      Plus, he had that little Frozen Four Most Outstanding Player thing, as well.

He has to go down with Brian Leetch and Paul Kariya as the most decorated freshman in Hockey East history. Note, I said "decorated," not "best."

Comment

Originally posted by Big Papa View Post
                        Go Black Bears!
                        Maine sucks. Goalies don't stand a chance against BC's offense and BC's defense will knock down Maine's midget forwards with a small nudge. I smell a blow out

Comment

Originally posted by TopShelf999 View Post
                          Maine sucks. Goalies don't stand a chance against BC's offense and BC's defense will knock down Maine's midget forwards with a small nudge. I smell a blow out
                          if you smell something blowing out, maybe you should take a shower ?

Go Black Bears!

Comment

Johnny Gaudreau was named HE rookie of the week.
                            Originally posted by mookie1995
                            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

First in PPG (14)

2000-2001 Team Stats
                              Wow ,Conte must have rocked back then, look at all those sellouts

Comment

Originally posted by Big Papa View Post
                                Go Black Bears!
                                Why are you sorry? Why don't you try telling us why you think Maine will win...this should be good.

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                                Johnny Gaudreau was named HE rookie of the week.
                                What, they couldn't find a co ROTW to go with him??? Hockey East loves doing that.

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                                Wow ,Conte must have rocked back then, look at all those sellouts
                                Had no idea capacity was 7,770 back then.

Comment

Working...
                                X