Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Merrimack College 2011-2012 Season Thread - vita post Da Costa

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
    I think you meant WMU, who is 12. UM is way down at 19. BC has lost 3 of 5 including the game against UMass but they had beaten very quality teams. That's like saying about U. Houston (back to my other example) - you're undefeated so you should be ahead of a 3-loss USC team (or something like that) in football. MACK has hardly played quality teams.

In my poll, I'd have BC 1, ND 2, and MACK 3...but you're right. It's splitting hairs at that point. Whether you're 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5..if you're a Top 5 team, you're elite. That's kind of the only thing that really does matter. if MACK beats BC and BU, then I vault them all and make them #1.
    Good points. BC cant be number one though today. they lost both of their big out of conference games, ND and Denver. Than BU beats Denver the next night. BU pounds BC 5-0 and BC has lost 3/5 and also has bad loss to U Mass and tie to Northeastern.

MC has won every game outside 1 tie and beat BU, Maine, both of which were on the road. Places they have never done well at. They deserve it...

I was talking about Michigan the week before when they were 11th and had lost 5/6

Comment

While I think all would agree that MC has had a lighter schedule (OOC in particular), they do still play in the HE. That, combined with their record through November, needs to carry weight. As you've stated, the mettle of the HE will out in January/February with BC/BU and a Schizo UNH squad. However, if you want to look at OOC we have two tough match-ups on tap in December with Union and Colgate. Lets save the disparaging (perhaps assumed/perhaps intended) remarks until they throw up a bad loss. You say favorable home schedule and I see Alfond and Matthews on the schedule. Are those historically easy? In reference to your BCS comparison its apples and oranges. A football schedule demands that the regular season be treated as the play-offs, fortunately college hockey has solved that riddle and left posturing of the merits of rankings to fans.

Comment

I've seen all the teams in HE so far this year either in person or on TV. Can anyone honestly say they'd be scared as an MC fan with a match-up in March against anyone besides BU or BC? I'm not.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
          I've seen all the teams in HE so far this year either in person or on TV. Can anyone honestly say they'd be scared as an MC fan with a match-up in March against anyone besides BU or BC? I'm not.
          nope and you shouldn't be scared of those mentioned or anyone else nationally either

Comment

Originally posted by FeartheWarrior View Post
            While I think all would agree that MC has had a lighter schedule (OOC in particular), they do still play in the HE. That, combined with their record through November, needs to carry weight. As you've stated, the mettle of the HE will out in January/February with BC/BU and a Schizo UNH squad. However, if you want to look at OOC we have two tough match-ups on tap in December with Union and Colgate. Lets save the disparaging (perhaps assumed/perhaps intended) remarks until they throw up a bad loss. You say favorable home schedule and I see Alfond and Matthews on the schedule. Are those historically easy? In reference to your BCS comparison its apples and oranges. A football schedule demands that the regular season be treated as the play-offs, fortunately college hockey has solved that riddle and left posturing of the merits of rankings to fans.
            Great 1st post. Welcome, and enjoy the discourse with the college hockey intelligentsia (and Maine fans).
            Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              I think the maine playoff series showed everyone last year that MC would be fine without SD, players step up.
              He was key as the series with PC at end proved but MC has the depth to keep chugging along. They are not top ten without Cannata
              I'm not sure where the Warriors rank without Cannata, but I would suggest that last year's success has more to do with his performance than SD's. As skilled as SD is as an offensive threat, his defensive game needs work. He was a -3 in the Championship Final against BC last season. After 22 games with the Ottawa Senators this season he has 5 points but sits at -9, and has been sent down to Binghamton. Hopefully he puts up some numbers and is able to return to Ottawa soon. It would be nice to see Marotta get some starts between the pipes as he will be the man next season.

Comment

FYI - you can watch the game streaming online for free tonight - http://go.coxsportsonline.com/mediaP...B_OEM_ID=25400
                The muzzle is off

Comment

Tough game tonight. I think both teams played it just didn't go Merrimack's way tonight. Bad turnover in OT didn't help but that is life in Hockey East. I think Merrimack's schedule has been tough with the lack of games. These 2 games in 2 weeks is tough.
                  Rinks Visited
                  DCU Center
                  Tulley Forum
                  TD Garden
                  Tsongas Arena
                  J. Thom Lawler Arena
                  Conte Forum
                  Whittemore Center
                  Agganis Arena
                  Verizon Center
                  Gutterson Fieldhouse
                  Matthews Arena
                  Thompson Arena
                  Mullins Center
                  Alfond Arena
                  Schneider Arena
                  Magness Arena
                  Ingallas Arena
                  Hart Center
                  Prudential Center
                  TD Bank Sports Center
                  John A Ryan
                  Lynah Rink
                  Appleton Arena
                  Cheel Arena
                  Germain Arena
                  XL Center
                  Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Originally posted by MCgrad07 View Post
                    Tough game tonight. I think both teams played it just didn't go Merrimack's way tonight. Bad turnover in OT didn't help but that is life in Hockey East. I think Merrimack's schedule has been tough with the lack of games. These 2 games in 2 weeks is tough.
                    It was a tough game and the team that deserved to win, did. Not sure how personnel is picked for the Power Play but IMO there are a few players on it that don't deserve to be on it. The Warriors have 21 hours to get ready for what is going to be another tough game. Definitely need a win tomorrow in order to remain credible in the poles.

Comment

Originally posted by MCgrad07 View Post
                      Agree, they had their chances but couldn't finish....Bates breakaway, Flanagin breakaway (looked like he "casualed" that one IMO). Todd's goal was a nice shot, but I thought he was invisible otherwise. They missed Bly, and when Sheen got hurt, it seemed to really screw up the lines. Agree that was a poor turnover in OT, but stuff happens. Bates has absolute jets. Back at it tomorrow night and let's hope the results are better. I'm glad they are usually on the "W" side of one goal games; their lack of a sniper/pure scorer concerns me a bit.

Highly unlikely that either BC or ND jumps them in the rankings unless the Friars sweep. Wow, what got into NU??

Comment

Merrimack was the best team PC has played against this season.

Cannata didn't have a good game tonight especially that first goal seemed like he should of had.

I don't understand what Bigos was complaining about all night. He is the biggest guy on the ice and just chirping all night including after losing the game and going off the ice.

Anyways, it is good to see ANOTHER team besides BC/BU/Maine/UNH competing for the HE crown. Good luck the rest of the season!
                        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Something I never thought I'd be saying in December... I'm looking forward to seeing how they respond to their first loss.
                          Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                            You shouldn't as of now but I would rather play Merrimack in a best-of-three than BC any day of the week. And probably than this year's version of BU also.
                            Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                            Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Hope you fans get to see as good a game as we got to see last night down here. You have the best goalie in the league hands down, but the one who really impressed me was the Bates kid. Wow, can that kid fly!

Comment

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
                                Something I never thought I'd be saying in December... I'm looking forward to seeing how they respond to their first loss.
                                Not very well from the looks of it. 17 penalties for 72 minutes!!! Are you freakin' kidding me? Dennehey got tossed? Would someone please post a reasonably objective game summary? What a nightmare weekend, but kudos to the Friars.

Comment

Working...
                                X