Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011-12 Minnesota Season Thread (Pride On Ice Returns!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011-12 Minnesota Season Thread (Pride On Ice Returns!)

I forgot:
    I thought I heard on the radio on the way to the game Saturday that Student had been sick all week and hadn't skated, and that was the reason he wasn't in the line-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gphrpkhead View Post
      Hard to argue with that!
      I agree with a lot of what you put in your post about Parenteau and Marshall before this one, but not so much this one. While he didn't live up to the high expectation placed on him, and took a couple years to get there, Ness was the most consistent and smartest D on the Gophs last year. (Although I wouldn't describe Marshall as looking 'lost', very often. It is more miscues with the puck that stand out, or just an occasional defensive gaffe.)

And Lucia defended Thompson on the radio tonight saying he played well. I didn't necessarily like the way he looked last time. One time making a hit he didn't have to that ended in a questionable call (also thanks to the guy falling forward into the hit) shouldn't be the sole basis for judging his play.

Comment

Isaakson played a decent game, and got himself into position for several scoring chances. Looked better than he has. Nice to have guys in the wing who are hungry to prove themselves and have enough skill to make a dangerous 4th line.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
          I agree with a lot of what you put in your post about Parenteau and Marshall before this one, but not so much this one. While he didn't live up to the high expectation placed on him, and took a couple years to get there, Ness was the most consistent and smartest D on the Gophs last year. (Although I wouldn't describe Marshall as looking 'lost', very often. It is more miscues with the puck that stand out, or just an occasional defensive gaffe.)

And Lucia defended Thompson on the radio tonight saying he played well. I didn't necessarily like the way he looked last time. One time making a hit he didn't have to that ended in a questionable call (also thanks to the guy falling forward into the hit) shouldn't be the sole basis for judging his play.
          I agree with you on Ness. He became a pretty solid defensive defenseman by the end of last year. And just think about how improved his offensive numbers would have looked with the scoring ability of guys like Bjugstad and Rau this year.

I wasn't pleased with much of Thompson's play Saturday, outside of what I thought was a really stupid decision on the misconduct penalty.
          He was chasing around behind the net quite a bit and taking some pretty poor angles. Those things would probably improve with increased game time, but as it stands he didn't acquit himself very well.
          And that penalty was really stupid. It's one thing if you're a daily guy and happen to make that play, but when you (likely) put yourself in the doghouse for taking too many and over-the-top penalties, that is just a hit you do NOT make.

Comment

3 weeks is a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
              I agree with you on Ness. He became a pretty solid defensive defenseman by the end of last year. And just think about how improved his offensive numbers would have looked with the scoring ability of guys like Bjugstad and Rau this year.

I wasn't pleased with much of Thompson's play Saturday, outside of what I thought was a really stupid decision on the misconduct penalty.
              He was chasing around behind the net quite a bit and taking some pretty poor angles. Those things would probably improve with increased game time, but as it stands he didn't acquit himself very well.
              And that penalty was really stupid. It's one thing if you're a daily guy and happen to make that play, but when you (likely) put yourself in the doghouse for taking too many and over-the-top penalties, that is just a hit you do NOT make.
              I agree about the penalty. You just can't hit a guy with an arm extension high in the body (or head) and put the referees in a position to make that call. Right or wrong, guy falling or not....you can't do that. Keep your arms in and suddenly it is a completely legal hit and nobody is stuck trying to "defend" you.

I like the comment on Isaakson. I saw that too. He is starting to figure out where he is supposed to be on the ice. I think that is the hardest thing for a freshman. Just to know where you need to be to be able to make a play.

Is Sam Warning in Lucia's doghouse? He is getting minutes, but doesn't seem to be making the most of them? Good speed, decent hands...a little behind on hockey sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                In regards to sitting Marshall or Parenteau:
                I didn't want either of them out on Saturday, I was kind of curious why Parenteau sat and they played Thompson. I figured you may as well keep both of them in the lineup but meh at least we came out hungry and got the win.
                Originally posted by CavalryNate
                Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                sigpic

Comment

GS: Minnesota may be without Rau and Nick Bjugstad for the Mariucci Classic. That is 33 percent of your scoring. Who do you think is going to step up and score?

DL: We will have to do it by committee. We can move forward with a couple of our lines intact, but that would take away two-thirds of our top line and our two leading goal scorers, who also play on the power play and the penalty kill. We have to have some other guys play now and that is one of the reasons we played a whole different line last Saturday, because we know we will need those guys coming up. When we come back for those two games we know that other guys are going to get an opportunity. We do not know who yet, or how we are going to reconfigure our lines, but we need other guys to step forward. That may be guys who have not played a lot. A guy like Joey Miller, who played his first game of the year last Saturday found a way to score a goal.

Not sure why they gave Thompson time on Saturday, but this explains a little more why we saw Joey Miller. I think he played really well too.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                    GS: Minnesota may be without Rau and Nick Bjugstad for the Mariucci Classic. That is 33 percent of your scoring. Who do you think is going to step up and score?

DL: We will have to do it by committee. We can move forward with a couple of our lines intact, but that would take away two-thirds of our top line and our two leading goal scorers, who also play on the power play and the penalty kill. We have to have some other guys play now and that is one of the reasons we played a whole different line last Saturday, because we know we will need those guys coming up. When we come back for those two games we know that other guys are going to get an opportunity. We do not know who yet, or how we are going to reconfigure our lines, but we need other guys to step forward. That may be guys who have not played a lot. A guy like Joey Miller, who played his first game of the year last Saturday found a way to score a goal.

Not sure why they gave Thompson time on Saturday, but this explains a little more why we saw Joey Miller. I think he played really well too.
                    It will be nice to see a guy like Sachetti get another chance to prove himself. Kind of surprised at his lack of playing time this year. Might have to use him down the stretch more as a fourth line center. Easy argument is to get the freshman playing time and we definitely have some depth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gphrpkhead View Post
                      It will be nice to see a guy like Sachetti get another chance to prove himself. Kind of surprised at his lack of playing time this year. Might have to use him down the stretch more as a fourth line center. Easy argument is to get the freshman playing time and we definitely have some depth.
                      Totally agree on Sachetti.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post

Koho....I should have put a smiley face after this! I think Ness came around, but agree...he didn't live up to the advanced billing. That being said....I think Marshall is going to find himself given time. The Gophers have a couple of really defensive minded defensemen this year (Helgeson and Parenteau) which is good. IMO Marshall will need a year to find himself. I talked extensively in the off season with people about how disappointed I was in the lack of production from Nate Schmidt last year. I am happy to continue to eat a side helping of crow for that one this year. He has really taken off and is commanding the power play.

It will be nice to see a mix of players during the Classic. I was really disappointed Friday night in what I see being the feed Bjugstad show. I would like to see guys get the puck to the net and let Bjugstad use his size and reach to continue getting goals and points. Rau and Budish were both guilty of the overfeed. I think just having some new blood in the line-up will freshen some things up and I am hoping it is a positive for Budish to step out of the shadow and establish his game.

Comment

There is no one I would sit so Nico could play. The lower lines have been the most consistent and I don't think putting Nico in there is going to improve them any.

And Ness may have been the best d-man we had last year, but that was because we had no good D men last year. He was soft, half the time looked shellshocked with the puck and his defensive positioning was brutal. He played good for a frosh, problem was he was a junior. His accelerating in school and our lack of defensive coaching set him back.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            There is no one I would sit so Nico could play. The lower lines have been the most consistent and I don't think putting Nico in there is going to improve them any.

And Ness may have been the best d-man we had last year, but that was because we had no good D men last year. He was soft, half the time looked shellshocked with the puck and his defensive positioning was brutal. He played good for a frosh, problem was he was a junior. His accelerating in school and our lack of defensive coaching set him back.
                            so, I guess this means you would like to see Isackson and Miller suit up in place of Bjugstad and Rau? I am ok with that. And I also agree that the 4th line shouldn't be broken up. So, the question becomes, who do you put on a line with Budish?

Comment

Well as someone who wants Budish off the top line I guess I would have to say...anyone

I never was very good at making lines so I dont pretend to try but Budish on the top line is not working at the moment.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                                so, I guess this means you would like to see Isackson and Miller suit up in place of Bjugstad and Rau? I am ok with that. And I also agree that the 4th line shouldn't be broken up. So, the question becomes, who do you put on a line with Budish?
                                Condon Matson Budish

Warning Haula Hansen

Larson Boyd Ambroz

Miller Isackson Sachetti

2nd and 4th line stay the same as last Saturday night
                                Originally posted by CavalryNate
                                Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X