Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011-12 Minnesota Season Thread (Pride On Ice Returns!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011-12 Minnesota Season Thread (Pride On Ice Returns!)

SCHEDULE UPDATE

Lucia said he is happy North Dakota is playing the Gophers at Mariucci Arena. The Gophers have played nine of the last 11 games in the series at the Ralph. That's partly because Minnesota had to travel there for a three-game, first round WCHA playoff series at the end of the 2009-10 season.

Lucia said he hopes to play North Dakota when the Gophers join the Big Ten Conference in 2014-15 and the Fighting Sioux become members of the National Collegiate Hockey Conference. But how often will depend on how many conference games the NCHC will play. The new conference could play up to 28 league games, he said, leaving room to schedule only six nonconference games.

He said the Gophers and the Fighting Sioux would play at Mariucci one year and at the Ralph the other in any scheduling arrangement they make after they are in different conferences.

Boston College coach Jerry York e-mailed Lucia about a fourth-year scheduling agreement. One year, the Gophers would head East and play Boston College and Boston University the same weekend, Lucia said, the next year, Boston College would play at Mariucci, then the Gophers would play at BU and BC and, in the fourth year, BU would visit the Gophers.
    Lucia said the Gophers and Notre Dame have discussed playing each other, too. The Irish and Gophers*play one game, the U.S. Hall of Fame Game, in early January this season.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/132972948.html

Comment

So if that comes to fruition, MN's non conference slate in the B1G could look something like this:
      @ BU/BC
      UND
      Notre Dame
      SCSU H/H
      @UMD
      MSU-M
      [some other random team]

Not a bad batch of games, honestly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
        So if that comes to fruition, MN's non conference slate in the B1G could look something like this:
        @ BU/BC
        UND
        Notre Dame
        SCSU H/H
        @UMD
        MSU-M
        [some other random team]

I'd be very happy with that

Comment

That sounds like a lot of fun. I truly hope they keep the sue rivalry but I don't see that happening. That is a lot of high quality nc opponents in that list there. Don't the Gophers need a cupcake in there? Also, does this list include the Classic?
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
            That sounds like a lot of fun. I truly hope they keep the sue rivalry but I don't see that happening. That is a lot of high quality nc opponents in that list there. Don't the Gophers need a cupcake in there? Also, does this list include the Classic?
            Well, it does list UND.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
              Well, it does list UND.
              I figured someone would make that joke regarding MSU-M being on the list(I almost did myself actually), but not sue.
              "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                I'd be very happy with that
                I love the rivalry between UND and UMD etc but i will take a pass on that schedule.. I hope they steer clear of non-conference set rivalries after the conference moves. SOS is my reasoning.

The Gophs true rival is the Fighting Nucks and no other team even comes close. But to other teams, their #1 rival is the Gophs (Badgers).

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                  @ BU/BC
                  UND
                  Notre Dame
                  SCSU H/H
                  @UMD
                  MSU-M
                  [some other random team]

I love that schedule if it's even remotely possible. Mix of old, new, powerhouse, MN based...

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    I love that schedule if it's even remotely possible. Mix of old, new, powerhouse, MN based...
                    **** Notre Dame, bring in Bemidji. Otherwise looks pretty darn good.

Comment

"Then came the University of Minnesota and a unique relationship with a school that purposely recruited state-grown talent and coach Don Lucia who put academics first — even though Ballard would win national titles with the Golden Gophers in 2002 and 2003. Ballard also played with Hobey Baker winner Jordan Leopold, Paul Martin and Tomas Vanek but knew Lucia wouldn’t play mind games with any of them."

There’s no place like home as Ballard recalls rich Minnesota hockey history

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/11...ockey-history/
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        "Then came the University of Minnesota and a unique relationship with a school that purposely recruited state-grown talent and coach Don Lucia who put academics first — even though Ballard would win national titles with the Golden Gophers in 2002 and 2003. Ballard also played with Hobey Baker winner Jordan Leopold, Paul Martin and Tomas Vanek but knew Lucia wouldn’t play mind games with any of them."

There’s no place like home as Ballard recalls rich Minnesota hockey history

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/11...ockey-history/
                        Pure Awesomeness

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                          @ BU/BC
                          UND
                          Notre Dame
                          SCSU H/H
                          @UMD
                          MSU-M
                          [some other random team]

I know you are just throwing out a hypothetical so I don't mean this aimed at you. Just using your post to specifically reply on the topic.

I honestly don't think we'll see UND that often post-WCHA. Every once in a while there, every once in a while here. But doubt it will be consistent.

As has been stated, we require a minimum of 20 home games (10 conference, 10 non-conference). Add in 10 road conference games gets you up to 30 total games. That leaves you with four possible non-conference road games every year. Not a very good bet that they continually use two of those games on traveling to UND every other year (since you know UND would want a one for one agreement). I think we'll see more variety on our travel plans for non-conference than that.
                          University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

How would a non-conference tournament at the X alter that equation? It wouldn't have the cost of a road trip, but it wouldn't generate quite the same revenue as a home series, either.

Comment

It doesn't alter it from a home game perspective. They are going to have 20 home games at Mariucci.
                              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                                It doesn't alter it from a home game perspective. They are going to have 20 home games at Mariucci.
                                When you are a team with a winning tradition and a nice big arena, in a big metropolitan area where hockey is important, you are in a position to dictate favorable terms.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X