Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ferris State University Hockey 2011-2012 - A New Lease On Life

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    Well, then. THAT'S not what we had in mind.

Word of advice: when you put up 56 SOG, you might want to put more than 2 in the net.
    So was this all Hammond's doing?
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Most likely, but we've done this before over the years. Put 78 shots on net and get beat 2-1, or something similar.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        So was this all Hammond's doing?
        Ferris didn't help themselves and the officials didn't help anyone. It's hard to watch a game when the officials are so wishy-washy that the players can't tell what is and isn't going to get called. There's also some question as to whether or not the dump-in preceding the winning goal hit the protective netting but I couldn't see it from my seat so I won't comment.

Edit: Ferris did play well but couldn't finish their chances and got burned on turnovers around the net.
        Last edited by bueller; 03-10-2012, 04:17 PM.
        This space for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          Most likely, but we've done this before over the years. Put 78 shots on net and get beat 2-1, or something similar.
          Wasn't that against NMU?
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Wasn't that against NMU?
            I think we've done that against half the CCHA in one form or another.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

The puck clearly hit something on top of the boards/netting that sent it back towards the net. It was definitely out of play and the refs missed it (how...I don't know. The puck can't naturally make an adjustment like that), but the game should have never even gotten to that point.

Have to play better tomorrow, and Sunday as well. I would have never guessed there were 56 shots on goal. Not a ton of high quality chances, but there were certainly a few missed opportunities.

Comment

Couple of notes:

-We played fairly lousy overall, especially in the 2nd. Looked tired for a team that had a week off. Makes me wonder if not giving a crap in the Western game put them in a bad mindset.

-Considering it was the spring break Friday (which never draws squat for students) there was an ok showing. They sold tickets to basically anyone, so we had a few little kids running around, a bit annoying.

-Aaron is consistently the worst ref in the CCHA, he makes Sergott look good by comparison. He and whoever the other ref was were just terrible, one of the worst reffed games I can remember in a long while. I would love to see a replay if possible, but it sure seemed like the puck hit the netting, not the class, to set up the overtime goal.

That was delightfully craptastic. Team needs to wake up and realize that there is a lot on the line. Really was hoping Sunday wasn't going be needed, but it looks like it will be. That reminded me a lot of a few years ago, when Ferris would always find a way to double-up the opponent in shots but still lose. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by totalx View Post
                  The puck clearly hit something on top of the boards/netting that sent it back towards the net. It was definitely out of play and the refs missed it (how...I don't know. The puck can't naturally make an adjustment like that), but the game should have never even gotten to that point.

Have to play better tomorrow, and Sunday as well. I would have never guessed there were 56 shots on goal. Not a ton of high quality chances, but there were certainly a few missed opportunities.
                  I was at the game, and while I do agree with you, there is no excuse for Ferris to stop playing. They seemed to let up when they saw the puck hit the net, but no whistle was blown. I believe the key here is that you have to play until you hear the whistle. The refs are a common scapegoat, but the simple fact of the matter is that Ferris outshot BG by almost a 2 to 1 margin. They had many chances to put the game away and couldn't. Good teams rebound from a loss and put the series away. We will see what this team is made of on Saturday and Sunday.
                  Nightfall
                  Christopher Brian Dudek
                  USCHO Photographer/Reporter 1998-2005
                  http://www.nightfall.net

Comment

Originally posted by I Want Shegos View Post
                    -Aaron is consistently the worst ref in the CCHA, he makes Sergott look good by comparison. He and whoever the other ref was were just terrible, one of the worst reffed games I can remember in a long while. I would love to see a replay if possible, but it sure seemed like the puck hit the netting, not the class, to set up the overtime goal.
                    If the puck did hit the netting, it would be the second time this year that Aaron's unexplainable failure to blow the whistle at an appropriate time led directly to a goal against Ferris.

http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2011/12/...-ferris-state/
                    Last edited by bueller; 03-09-2012, 11:56 PM.
                    This space for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
                      Not sure why the UM fans are saying Hunwick got snubbed. There's only one goalie that led his team to a conference title and it wasn't him. It's okay, though. I'm sure they're complaining just as well as an Ivy League school would.
                      Since you pushed the envelope with your classy remarks, let's compare:

Nelson CCHA: 20GP 13-4-3 2.10 GAA .927 sv% 1229 minutes 2 SHO Nationally: 25GP 17-5-3 .925 sv% 2.04 GAA 1528 minutes 3 SHO 0-2 H2H

Hunwick CCHA: 28GP 16-8-3 1.88 GAA .939 sv% 1664 minutes 5 SHO Nationally: 36GP 22-10-3 .933 sv% 1.99 GAA 2137 minutes 5 SHO 2-0 H2H

The only one that had better numbers than Hunwick was Connor Knapp and he only played a total of 21 games this season and leads the nation in most of these categories.

Both Hunwick and Nelson are fine goaltenders- like Pat Nagle was last season and deserved his 1st team award. But the numbers- and the history (1 CCHA regular title, 2 CCHA tournament titles) have proven that Hunwick is just as deserving of any goaltender this season. Winning the league title certainly had some bearing with Nelson winning the award, but Hunwick has taken his team further over the body of his career than most CCHA goaltenders have (except for MAYBE Knapp) and deserved better consideration for this recognition. My personal opinion is that Nelson gets the nod in the voting because of the perception that his team is not chalk full of the talent Michigan has in front of Hunwick. It's pretty obtuse considering FSU is one of the top teams in the nation and has two other first teamers elected versus none for Michigan.

If you don't think that Michigan fans have a right to voice disapproval then so be it- but don't ridicule us about it. I think the facts bare out a pretty strong case.

Connor Knapp and his team are playing as well as anyone in the country right now so I won't even go as far to think that either of our teams will win the CCHA tourney, either.

Comment

Highlights:

Comment

The bulldogs came out and played like they haven't played in a couple weeks! BG was all over them the first 5 minutes. Nelson made some huge saves early until they got their feet under them.

The energy level of the game was pretty low on both sides, their wasn't any consistant flow. Neither team could get good flow going. I thought that Ferris controled the play in most of the overtime but was unable to score. Hammond for BG made some HUGE saves in OT. The bulldogs need to find a way to solve him, to keep this series alive tonight!!!

Comment

College Hockey News is reporting that an NCAA bid is wrapped up for Ferris.
                            This space for sale.

Comment

• Originally posted by bueller View Post
                              College Hockey News is reporting that an NCAA bid is wrapped up for Ferris.
                              So are they throwing the game and letting BGSU advance so they can rest up? BG up early on FSU.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                So are they throwing the game and letting BGSU advance so they can rest up? BG up early on FSU.
                                I hope not.
                                This space for sale.

Comment

Working...
                                X