X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
    ?
    (GoUNH, think of "Jeopardy" response format.)
    We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
    ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
    --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

• Originally posted by goblue View Post
      (GoUNH, think of "Jeopardy" response format.)
      Oh lol. Yep, that one went right over my head!

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
        Really nice effort all round tonight. The offense was flying all night, the defense was better if not great, and Wyer was a huge improvement in net. The Cats deserved the win tonight, but ran into a hot goalie in Lee. The awakening of the offense obviously bodes well, although it would be nice if someone besides Nick Sorkin could score. I'm thinking Wyer needs to be the starter, at least until DiGi can prove he can play like last year. Wyer was making all kinds of saves tonight that DiGi hasn't made all year. Oh well, at least there's reason to be hopeful at the end of this weekend.
        I wonder if part of DiGi's problem was the rough start by the team D getting in his head. Of the 9 goals in the 1st 2 games there were around 7 where he had no prayer the D was so bad. I wonder if it is in his head now and he just needs a short sit to clear all that out. Confidence is a huge part of the game, jittery goalies tend to retreat into the net when you are small that is bad news. He needs the confidence to come out a challenge the shot without the fear of completely uncovered players on the back door. If he can't be out challenging he is no use, too small to play back.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

I'm thinking of making the drive up from Albany for the game Friday. What's the ticket situation like for a walkup? Looks like UNH is off to a slow start and Union is off to an odd one, undefeated with 3 ties. How does this one shape up?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilsonpicard View Post
            Sorry u think that way
            Why? I'd say most of it has proven pretty accurate so far. Digi needs to be good and he hasn't been. The defenseman have largely been ineffective. Sorkin has stepped up, Thrush has played well, Willows has been in the stands, Borisenok and Block are not top 6 offensive forwards, Speelman and Henrion have mostly been invisible, and Downing has shown good offensive upside.

The only thing I'm sorry about is that the team has underperformed to date, but the good news is that they have room to get better. I'd be more worried if they were giving us their very best and were still in this boat.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
              I wonder if part of DiGi's problem was the rough start by the team D getting in his head. Of the 9 goals in the 1st 2 games there were around 7 where he had no prayer the D was so bad. I wonder if it is in his head now and he just needs a short sit to clear all that out. Confidence is a huge part of the game, jittery goalies tend to retreat into the net when you are small that is bad news. He needs the confidence to come out a challenge the shot without the fear of completely uncovered players on the back door. If he can't be out challenging he is no use, too small to play back.
              That sounds like a very fair assessment. I probably shouldn't try to sound like some sort of expert. I mean I haven't seen one game, and therefore not a single goal DiGi has allowed this year. I am sort of going on assumption based on the radio calls and thinking about last year and how DiGi won games all on his own. It is nice to know, though, that if Matt needs some bench time that Wyer can fill his shoes.
              Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
              2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                I'm thinking of making the drive up from Albany for the game Friday. What's the ticket situation like for a walkup? Looks like UNH is off to a slow start and Union is off to an odd one, undefeated with 3 ties. How does this one shape up?
                Most non-huge games you will usually have luck getting a ticket walking up if you get there early enough, however this weekend is Homecoming weekend for UNH which might have an odd effect on tickets (not 100% certain sure what to make of Homecoming's effect this year). My suggestion would be to call the box office the day before to check availability and possibly order a ticket for will-call pickup. The box office has odd hours and I believe they close at either 4 or 5 on non-event days, so plan ahead with your call.
                Last edited by jml42691; 10-24-2011, 10:09 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
                  That sounds like a very fair assessment. I probably shouldn't try to sound like some sort of expert. I mean I haven't seen one game, and therefore not a single goal DiGi has allowed this year. I am sort of going on assumption based on the radio calls and thinking about last year and how DiGi won games all on his own. It is nice to know, though, that if Matt needs some bench time that Wyer can fill his shoes.
                  Really this is a W.A.G. by me. I am essentially agreeing with you that DiGi is not playing as well as last year for whatever reason. What little I have seen I think he is playing further back in net. That could be a coaching thing also. He has left some bad rebounds as well, did that at times last year too but the D was better and cleaned them up for him. I haven't seen Wyer play but he is a bigger goalie (5' 9" vs 6'1") that may allow him to stay a little closer to the paint and not leave big areas to shoot at. Such a team sport, might find that this years team fits a bigger goalie -that doesn't need to come out as far - better.

Anybody able to give an update on what happened with the lines at St. Cloud? I think it is a good thing to move pieces around.

I agree WIrinkrat that there are some odd happenings at Forward. I too see Borisenok and Block as solid 3-4 liners but not really top 6 guys. I think Henrion will be hot and cold until he gets somebody to feed him (Moses anyone), I see a great shot but doesn't seem to be able to make his own play. I felt like Silengo might take a step forward as he looked good end of last year and that hasn't happened. A solid 1st line takes the pressure off everybody else and they can just play their game - might be some of what we are seeing here.
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                    They sold out their exhibition ahead of time, then must have sold out against BC the night of the game (tickets were still available when I walked up to the ticket office pre-game but it is listed in the box score as a sell out). Ticketmaster is showing 428 tickets still available. With it being homecoming I'd call ahead and save yourself the possible misery of driving all that way for nothing. Call the box office directly at [number removed, see below] as Ticketmaster tacks on all sorts of fees when you order online. Also, check to see if Union still has any left in their allotment, though the extras may have been sent back by now.

EDIT: Just noticed this on the Whitt's website:
                    (Please note: The Whittemore Center Arena Box Office is walk up sales only and does not sell tickets over the telephone.)
                    Looks like you're going to have to go through TicketBastard.
                    Last edited by ClOuD 9; 10-25-2011, 12:09 PM.
                    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

I think Henrion will be hot and cold until he gets somebody to feed him (Moses anyone), I see a great shot but doesn't seem to be able to make his own play.
                      He has a quick release and a heavy shot, goaltenders rarely pick it clean usually mishandled some even when squared for it, but as said here he needs to get in sweet spots with it loaded like backside on PP.

Comment

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
                        He has a quick release and a heavy shot, goaltenders rarely pick it clean usually mishandled some even when squared for it, but as said here he needs to get in sweet spots with it loaded like backside on PP.
                        He is Brett Hemingway with a better shot. I think Henrion would actually hit on most of the onetimers Brett couldn't/didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                          He is Brett Hemingway with a better shot. I think Henrion would actually hit on most of the onetimers Brett couldn't/didn't.
                          JB- I respect your opinion, but whether or not he could score on one timers aside, since that could be a fair argument...I don't think Henrion is anywhere near the same class of all around player that Brett Hemingway was.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                            JB- I respect your opinion, but whether or not he could score on one timers aside, since that could be a fair argument...I don't think Henrion is anywhere near the same class of all around player that Brett Hemingway was.
                            I was never a big fan of Brett thought older brother Colin was excellent his Junior and Senior seasons.

Just me but I think if Henrion had the talent around him that Brett did you would see a similar type of result. Brett had the opportunity to play with Micflikier (great setup man) and Winnik who rightfully pulled much of the attention away.

Not really a big fan of Henrion, I just see potential in that shot. My memory of Brett Hemingway was an unengaged player except when he was spotting up. It really could just be I never liked Brett’s game.

Comment

No. 19 for Ohio State makes front page of USCHO.com: 6 games, 2 goals, 1 assist, 14 penalty minutes.

Comment

Anyone else out there see DiGi on the splash and wince a little?

The good news... I've called my gram and she's started the prayer line for the Lutheran Womens' League at St. John's Lutheran Chruch in Storm Lake, Iowa.

Comment

Working...
                                X