Northeastern Huskies 2011-2012 Season Thread: Year of the Mad Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2011-2012 Season Thread: Year of the Mad Dog

Throw Vroylk in there as someone who could end up spending time in the stands. Really, what does he add at this point? Do we need to play all 3 of the small guys every night in Vroylk, McLaughlin, and Dongara.

A rotation between Vroylk, Manno and Reid, until one of them starts to add some offense works for me.

By the end of January, I would not be surprised if you could add Dongara to that list. Outside of the occasional odd man rush, he really adds nothing either and can disappear for games at a time. If it was not for his awesome speed to excite people at times, nobody would notice if he was missing.
    DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
      Guys you likely won’t see the hanful's of blue chip commitments to NU, like you did with Cronin who had a small pipe line as a coach with prior college and AHL exp. Madigan was a scout part time, but let’s face it he really has been working for the University for 25 years most recently as Dir. of the physical plant and later as some sort of administrative Dean in the School of Business Admin. So we will see, what that amounts too. Now for the real news, I know it’s early, but I watched the Maine game on the Live stream and bottom line, we are going to have a rough time playing the metal of the league this year, w/o big improvements. However, they will at times be fun to watch, so we should enjoy that, but clearly this is a rebuilding year and 10 wins will be a challenge. Just being realistic. I think we should just hope they can make the HET. Although, I will add, that this team will surprise at times, and should be pretty fun to watch, but we are not going to be beating BC or BU this year unless we get some luck like if Chris stands on his head. If we can finish 6th or 7th, that will be a big accomplishment. Just got my NH tix. So will do my best to cheer them on regardless, but BC kicked the crap out of SD today and well, you can all do the math.
      I meant ND of course, but SD deserves its props too, I don't know what if anything they have out there is SD in terms of fans, I guess about 500k people live there. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
        Throw Vroylk in there as someone who could end up spending time in the stands. Really, what does he add at this point? Do we need to play all 3 of the small guys every night in Vroylk, McLaughlin, and Dongara.

A rotation between Vroylk, Manno and Reid, until one of them starts to add some offense works for me.

By the end of January, I would not be surprised if you could add Dongara to that list. Outside of the occasional odd man rush, he really adds nothing either and can disappear for games at a time. If it was not for his awesome speed to excite people at times, nobody would notice if he was missing.
        I think you are under-appreciating Vrolyk's place on the team. The kid brings speed, streaky offense and is one of the team's best penalty killers, although the best PK is not to take so many penalties.

Comment

All great points.. I do not think Rawlings had his best gm in the home opener last Friday (he was good, not great). Far as Sunday.. combination of first road gm & being hung out to dry. He did better in the period against the X Men in the scrimmage from what i saw. Glad to hear Witt played well against Maine in the time he got.

Would love to get a goalie or two get hot, as we get the full roster back. Looking forward to seeing a solid outing from Rawlings this Friday (with some help from D). If we can get a good tandem going (Rawlings at home.. Witt on the road).. might help us down the stretch. We've weathered a lot as a team this offseason.. time to take it to the opponent.
          Let's go Huskies
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

a) Joe Vitale got 2nd star last night. Great to see.

b) Witt absolutely deserves more time but sadly will probably not see it...sigh. Witt on the road sounds good to me. He's so much more athletic and on the road, you need that one BIG save more than at home.
            Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
            Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
              a) Joe Vitale got 2nd star last night. Great to see..
              .. if he continues to play unselfish hockey, he's going to become quite the playmaker. Enjoy the NHL Joe .. Husky fans proud of you!
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Off of Dongara's twitter: "its looking like im gonna be getting a good view from the rafters on friday @ShrederMcgnarly so dont feel to bad #rugged" Looks like they will be without Dong on Friday night
                Northeastern Huskies Class of 2012

Comment

How athletic was Witt in that 3rd period against St. Francis?...........

Comment

Originally posted by NU Fan2013 View Post
                    How athletic was Witt in that 3rd period against St. Francis?...........
                    He came on ice cold. No warm-up whatsoever. If we had started Witt in the Beanpot, we win. Did you watch any of last season?
                    Northeastern Huskies

Comment

He came on ice cold. No warm-up whatsoever. If we had started Witt in the Beanpot, we win. Did you watch any of last season?
                      Admittedly not a NU fan, but have seen many NU hockey games over the years when my teams were playing at NU or were off and just went to Matthews as it's a great venue. I've seen NU play about 10 times past couple years and with a few exceptions have never been overly impressed with Rawlings. A lot of NU fans seem to want Witt to play more. Not arguing, but why do people think two different coaches now have chosen Rawlings over Witt? Must be something they see.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                        Admittedly not a NU fan, but have seen many NU hockey games over the years when my teams were playing at NU or were off and just went to Matthews as it's a great venue. I've seen NU play about 10 times past couple years and with a few exceptions have never been overly impressed with Rawlings. A lot of NU fans seem to want Witt to play more. Not arguing, but why do people think two different coaches now have chosen Rawlings over Witt? Must be something they see.
                        Because he's more experienced but Cronin made up his mind last season before Witt had a chance to prove anything. Witt on the road would make me happy.
                        Northeastern Huskies

Comment

"He came on ice cold. No warm-up whatsoever. If we had started Witt in the Beanpot, we win"..........Skinsfan09 since you have the ability to predict outcomes with 100%
                          certainty can you use your super powers for the greater good.......or at least let us know what lottery numbers will be picked next week. By the way where did Witt de-frost
                          himself last Sunday before he entered in the 3rd. What did he do skate around the locker room on roller skates? Excuses...excuses....

Comment

Originally posted by NU Fan2013 View Post
                            "He came on ice cold. No warm-up whatsoever. If we had started Witt in the Beanpot, we win"..........Skinsfan09 since you have the ability to predict outcomes with 100%
                            certainty can you use your super powers for the greater good.......or at least let us know what lottery numbers will be picked next week. By the way where did Witt de-frost
                            himself last Sunday before he entered in the 3rd. What did he do skate around the locker room on roller skates? Excuses...excuses....
                            First off, who taught you how to type? Keyboards have been around since the 70s.

Second, the larger sample size, that includes regular season and playoff games, supports the idea that Witt deserves more playing time than he gets. I'd love to go back and watch all the momentum-killing goals in big games that our starter has let in over the last two seasons.
                            Northeastern Huskies

Comment

It is clear you do not like Rawlings. I will leave it at that. Again if you have any predictions on anything that will change this crazy world we live in please share them with
                              us as it would be a crime for your special talents not to be used for the greater good. LOL!!!

Comment

I doubt he came on ice cold. Chances are he knew the third period was him and was warming up inbetween the 2nd and 3rd period. He came in cold on Sunday.

Anyway, the backup goalie is often the most popular guy on the team.

Its a style over substance argument. Witt just looks better with all the flopping and the movement, Rawlings always looks old and slow due to his style. That is why people rather see Witt. This is Rawlings job to lose. Once Madigan and the coaches get around to stressing playing in our end, I am sure we will see the best Rawlings has to give, and the argument will not be there anymore.

That being said, I am sure he is going to see a ton of puck against UNH on Friday due to what the last two games have shown, so I would say that giving Witt the start out at Merrimack would not be out of the question.
                                DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Working...
                                X