Northeastern Huskies 2011-2012 Season Thread: Year of the Mad Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2011-2012 Season Thread: Year of the Mad Dog

[QUOTE=SkinsFan09;5272790]a) Who cares about middle schoolers committing? 5 years - I mean it's completely pointless almost, teens change their minds on a dime.

QUOTE]

Apparently the coaches or they wouldnt be committing to them...

It is a sad state of hockey when they(the schools, led by BC etc) do it but the NU's of the world have to or they will be gone. NCAA should step in and stop kids from doing it before July 1st after sophmore year. These kids dont even know what hs classes they like and are supposed to pick a college?

Out of them all, this is a huge win for NU. BC and BU will not pick up a better F in this region at 96 or 97 level outside maybe Eichel

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      Apparently the coaches or they wouldnt be committing to them...

It is a sad state of hockey when they(the schools, led by BC etc) do it but the NU's of the world have to or they will be gone. NCAA should step in and stop kids from doing it before July 1st after sophmore year. These kids dont even know what hs classes they like and are supposed to pick a college?

Out of them all, this is a huge win for NU. BC and BU will not pick up a better F in this region at 96 or 97 level outside maybe Eichel
      I will admit to only following college hockey anymore with the exception of going to a few of my old high school's games so I have no knowledge or information on this kid except what I have read on USHR. I'm sure he'll be a good player, but it is entirely possible someone else progresses rapidly or he declines somewhat. That is what makes this so bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
        I will admit to only following college hockey anymore with the exception of going to a few of my old high school's games so I have no knowledge or information on this kid except what I have read on USHR. I'm sure he'll be a good player, but it is entirely possible someone else progresses rapidly or he declines somewhat. That is what makes this so bizarre.
        True...

Age old late bloomer debate.
        Look at the BC/BU's of the world and their rosters. Those kids were all tops at 8, 10 and so forth. Still are today.
        Especially ay F, this tends to be the case. In this case, 6'2"+ and still growing. Not a 5 ' 9" early puberty type who is same at 13 as 18. Tough to be that skilled and growing like a weed. These are usually the awkward times for the tall kids and that isnt the case here.

Comment

QUOTE]
          [/QUOTE]
          Absolutely, totally, positively agree!! While I have to admit to feeling good about NU apparently landing the pick of the litter, as it were, I still find the very thought of recruiting middle-schoolers to be repugnant. If this is what D1 college hockey has come to, it needs to be saved from itself. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for the NCAA to step in. And like some others, I have to wonder what the odds of him ever showing up here are.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Not to justify the exploitation of these young boys but isn't this what the Major Juniors do already? Correct me if I'm wrong but nothing is stopping them from contacting players at these young ages and trying to get them to go the MJ route? If this is the case could the recruiting war with MJ also be having an impact on this?

Comment

NCAA should step in and stop kids from doing it before July 1st after sophmore year.
              It's really beyond the purview of the NCAA. The only commitment the NCAA recognizes is when the player enrolls or signs a NLOI, and those are already restricted much more than you would propose. The only thing committing verbally accomplishes is tell other coaches to stop calling you (in football, they say that the only thing a verbal commitment does is tell coaches who the competition is).
              Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
              Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

We talked to McLaughlin after the game last night, he seemed a bit out of it but was still in good spirits. He's out for Michigan to get surgery but he could be back for Notre Dame weekend.

Looking forward to getting out to South Bend in a couple weeks myself. Hoping the momentum carries over to these roads games, would love to get a result at Compton.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                  Not to justify the exploitation of these young boys but isn't this what the Major Juniors do already? Correct me if I'm wrong but nothing is stopping them from contacting players at these young ages and trying to get them to go the MJ route? If this is the case could the recruiting war with MJ also be having an impact on this?
                  Good point. While I personally haven't heard any reports of MJ reps hitting middle schoolers, it would not surprise me.
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Dog House deserves credit for packing the arena every game thus far despite the multiple heartbreaking losses. Standing room only on both sides vs. Vermont. By this time last year the arena was half empty up top. This win was big. We have UMass-Lowell on the 10th which should be packed and then Jan. 13th vs. BU on NESN which will be sold out.
                    Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                    Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=75380

USHL Watch List

Forwards

15 - Zach Aston-Reese
                      20 - Cam Darcy

Goaltenders

1 - Jon Gillies

NCAA Watch List

Hockey East

C Skaters

Joseph Manno
                      Adam Reid
                      Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Cam Eskew, out of South Boston, is a 8th grader but I beleive his is 14 years old and his transfer to ST. Sebs last year. He is a top ranked regional player with great hockey sense developed on the South Boston youth teams that won both state and competed for national championships. He later had tenures with The South Shore Kings and Boston Jr Terriers but it was under the direction of Steve McAdams arguably the best Jr. Youth Hockey Coach in New England with the Middlesex Islanders and later Valley Jr. Warriors (elite) that Cam’s impressive skill set started to showcase as he developed into what some estimate will be the equivalent of a 6 foot 5 frame that can move the puck like Bourque and shoot like Charra. That 97 Warriors team was and is stacked with kids of former Bruins and NHL players form around metro Boston and New England, with 3 lines of kids that will play college hockey and with what I would estimate 6 kids that may play DIV 1. I have watched Cam play hockey since he was 5 years old both against and with my son and my nephews. If we get him we will be very lucky. He shoots the puck with a nearly 80 to 90 mph slap shot! However, it is far too early to judge what will become of his talent at the tender age of 14. He will be very academically challanged at St. Seb’s and the hockey that he will play there will determine what value if any, such a early commitment brings to NU. He must also adjust from making the switch from an O youth player to a prep school D player. However, we must view it in these terms, this is a local top hockey prospect who would prefer the confines of Matthews old barn over both Conte Forum and the Jack Parker ice surface. Remember, we have had a recent, top, national, local, St Seb’s early commitment and 1st round NHL draft pick before in Mike Morris and we all know how that turned out. A bright college hockey and potential pro career cut tragically short by CSD (Concussive Syndrome Disorder). So while "yes" this is always good news the bottom line that it’s just far too early to hold much water or have any real validity.. It doen't mean anything yet. In 4 to 8 years we will know alot more. Note worthy is the fact that at this age level there are a host of locally as tallented kids J. Mcarthy out of Dedham also at Sebs, J Marino at CM, J Rourke at Wellesley transfewring to BH or Sebs next year, T Fitsgerald Jr. out of Winchester at St Johns prep, V. Gendron at AOF now at Theyer, P Murray at Latin but not one of them would be likely to choose NU over the other Commanweatlh Ave elite, However, none will likly have this kids size! So, that's why you do it.
                        Last edited by RossiRules; 11-21-2011, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Thats quite a few mistakes for 1 post.
                          first off, only 1 ex nhl players kid on warriors.
                          Askew not Eskew
                          South Boston lost in states
                          He is an F at St Sebs
                          Will do fine academically
                          He is in 8th grade, not 9th
                          Doesnt shoot the puck 90 yet...
                          Fitzgerald out of N Reading is not a jr and plays at MC

Other than that, GOOD POST...

Comment

C'mon, we love Rossi's posts.. one thing he does not suffer from is writer's block (much like you Hoky)
                            G'luck on the road trip Huskies!
                            GO NU HOCKEY
                            Always bullish on the future.
                            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

See below
                              Last edited by RossiRules; 11-21-2011, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Thats quite a few mistakes for 1 post.
                                first off, only 1 ex nhl players kid on warriors.
                                Askew not Eskew
                                South Boston lost in states
                                He is an F at St Sebs
                                Will do fine academically
                                He is in 8th grade, not 9th
                                Doesnt shoot the puck 90 yet...
                                Fitzgerald out of N Reading is not a jr and plays at MC

Other than that, GOOD POST...
                                Thanks Hockey Dad I try to do this stuff from 2nd hand conversations and some of these, well many occur in rinks or in bars and I may forget or mix up some of the details at times, but this isnt the back page of the Herald so I don't fact check everything. Most of what I post is from memory, It's been a few years since I had any kids play with or against Cam. However I do go to games all the time and my older boy who has taken a few shots in the net from Cam's slap shot will attest that it seems like 90 to him. Sadly, I can only really spell a last name if it has a vowel on the end of it! LOL! I only hope that after some more seasoned development at Sebs/Jr's he still wants to go to NU when he is 20. I like to see local kids at the Boston schools or at least playing in New England, where I can go watch them especially the ones I have watched play since they were mites. Although I would luv to see all the kids I mentioned on that list at NU rather than BC or BU, the point of my post was to point out to the nay sayers, that its a good thing a local talented kid wants to play at NU, when it just seems that every kid you see who is 8 years old is flying the moroon and gold and dressed up like Baldwin! It just makes me sick!
                                Last edited by RossiRules; 11-22-2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X