Yale Bulldogs Hockey 2011 -2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Yale Bulldogs Hockey 2011 -2012

As one of the guys who started the first Yale thread back in the day when there was no Yale chatter on this site, and as someone who has seen the downs and ups of this team, here are my thoughts:

1. Allain has brough unprecidented success to the Yale program. He may be terse and inpatient with the media, he may loose his temper with refs, but at a national level, he has brought Yale to heights never before seen.

2. The talent which we lost last year is immense. They were a gritty team who knew how to play together. This year we don't have the same talent, depth, or experience, and it shows.

3. Only time will tell with the incoming classes. Experience at the college level is a key piece and unlike 4-5 years ago when freshman got a lot of ice time, things are different now. With that said, give the success of the last 3 years, if Yale can't have a top recruiting class then we never will.

4. Despite the losses of last year, this years team on any given night can play with the best. Unlike in the past 3 years when our NCAA bid was accomplished based on the efforts of the regular season, this time we are going to have to earn it in the ECAC playoffs. And I for one hold out hope.
    Last edited by yalehockeyfan; 02-06-2012, 06:05 PM.
    -------------
    Yale University 2013 National Champs

Comment

Back to posting about hockey

In talks of the defenseman, I agree Dueck and Young could be more involved in the offense, especially Young - he shows great offensive talent in spurts. But keep in mind both Dueck have the second most points among defenseman and neither of them really play on the powerplay. They also are the two guys relied on defensively as one of them is always paired against the other teams top lines. They have been the two most consistent two-way defenseman for the team I think this year.
      Fallen's offensive talents are at a top level in D1 college hockey. If he had this talent and a couple more inches, IMHO he could be a solid professional prospect. If he adds some size to his frame and improves in the defensive zone (he is only a freshman, he has plenty of time) then he still could be.
      Killian has all the tools but seems slow out there. Gets beat to pucks and rarely wins battles, there is a reason why when they short the bench, he is the first to sit. I think coaches want more out of him which is why he is in and out of the lineup. They see a lot of potential and I think he could turn into a good player in the near future.
      Carrioco is coming along and seems more comfortable each game he gets. He is very physical which is good due to the size of our defensemen overall. I think as he gets more comfortable with the puck, he will improve into a solid defensive-defenseman a la Dueck. If Peel comes back soon, I would not be too surprised to see Carrioco in he lineup over Killian.
      Jaskowiak and Peel, the two seniors havent had their BEST years but it is hard to compare because of the depth and help they had in the years passed. Peel is still exciting to watch and has been playing much better recently before the injury.
      Jaskowiak is an all-around solid defenseman that gets the job done. He sometimes makes plays harder than they need to be, but has been very reliable overall. I love the pairing of Jaskowiak and Young as they never seem to have any trouble in their Defensive zone.

The forwards are what they have been. I agree with everyone trying to play the game "who to put with the two studs." I like Root there because he seems to work hard and always be in the right position to get them the back. Agostino would also be a good fit, but him with Bourbanais and Lags looks to be like a threat of a line now too. Having those two lines with the reliable checking line as the third and I am comfortable with this team moving forward. Of course we do not have the 4th line or the depth of years past but that will come with experience.

In goal, well if Malcolm continues to play like he did Saturday then this team will be VERY dangerous, but it has always been hot and cold with him (with all Yale goalies recently actually) Maricic did pretty well Friday and the loss was clearly not on him. They just need better consistency no matter who is in net.

Those are my two cents for now.

Comment

Excellent post YW, hopefully they gel up north this weekend and come back with some points, we need three at least four would be better. Not sure if everyone saw it but a post was started about the possibility of a Nutmeg Cup involving Yale, SHU, QPac and UConn. interesting concept.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?99035-Nutmeg-Cup
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

While searching for further info on the colin sullivan decommission, I came across this CT based website which is full of interesting info on homegrown CT players. http://www.nutmeghockey.com/

A couple of sites have Sullivan headed to either BC or Notre Dame. Good luck to him.
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

What are Yale fans' thoughts on the 2012 East Regional at Bridgeport (3/23-3/24)? With Yale's chance slim (but not out of the question because they could make a run in the play-offs) to return like 2009 & 2011, are you still going to attend if Yale's not there? -Less likely? It was attended well in 2009 & 2011 but many attribute that to Yale being in the Regional.

From what I've heard, the NCAA has not committed to Bridgeport for any future hockey Regionals with East/North East sites like Providence coming back on-board as well as, Albany, Worcester, Manchester, and possibly Philly down the road. Although the NCAA being non-committal to Bridgeport could be because it will have hosted three of the past four years East Regionals once 2012 is completed.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Big weekend upcoming for the Blue. I love those blue uniforms btw. Four points would be a tall order and a huge accomplishment given the opposition, but I think they need atleast two to remain in the hunt for home ice. Which Yale team will show up this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by bulldawg21 View Post
                What are Yale fans' thoughts on the 2012 East Regional at Bridgeport (3/23-3/24)? With Yale's chance slim (but not out of the question because they could make a run in the play-offs) to return like 2009 & 2011, are you still going to attend if Yale's not there? -Less likely? It was attended well in 2009 & 2011 but many attribute that to Yale being in the Regional.

From what I've heard, the NCAA has not committed to Bridgeport for any future hockey Regionals with East/North East sites like Providence coming back on-board as well as, Albany, Worcester, Manchester, and possibly Philly down the road. Although the NCAA being non-committal to Bridgeport could be because it will have hosted three of the past four years East Regionals once 2012 is completed.

Any thoughts?
                I think I will attend the regional whether or not Yale is there. I believe it is probably in the NCAA's and the game's best interest to spread around the regionals to different areas of the major hockey populaces. It seems there will always be two midwest and two northeast regionals, there is really no other option.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

wish you guys some luck for the rest of the year, starting tonight at Lynah...frankly, I thought you outplayed us last night - just didn't get the bounces...you're scary fast and very scary in transition (I thought we were fast as well, but didn't have our legs last night)...this Yale program will continue to be among the best in the East and should make many forays into the top 5 or 10 again...losing so many seniors these days is tough as the game has progressed where it takes freshmen - in most cases - a lot longer to develop than 10 or 20 years ago...wouldn't surprise me to see you boys in AC and even getting an NCAA bid through winning at AC...beat Cornell tonight...it wasn't pretty but we got another monkey off our backs last night although you did a good job on the Smith-Wagner-Wilson line...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                    wish you guys some luck for the rest of the year, starting tonight at Lynah...frankly, I thought you outplayed us last night - just didn't get the bounces...you're scary fast and very scary in transition (I thought we were fast as well, but didn't have our legs last night)...this Yale program will continue to be among the best in the East and should make many forays into the top 5 or 10 again...losing so many seniors these days is tough as the game has progressed where it takes freshmen - in most cases - a lot longer to develop than 10 or 20 years ago...wouldn't surprise me to see you boys in AC and even getting an NCAA bid through winning at AC...beat Cornell tonight...it wasn't pretty but we got another monkey off our backs last night although you did a good job on the Smith-Wagner-Wilson line...
                    I did not see the game, but from the box score showing Yale held to six shots in the third period, Colgates defense must have played pretty well. I hope you are right about AC.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

Big Yale fan here, at least for tonight that is. Good luck.

Comment

You guys are a scary fast team; hope we don't meet in the playoffs. Brian O'Neill was really impressive with his play. Game could have gone either way. It's tough to lose so many seniors, but Yale looks to be a team that will reload every year under coach Allain. Beat Cornell tonight and make us all happy
                        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                          You guys are a scary fast team; hope we don't meet in the playoffs. Brian O'Neill was really impressive with his play. Game could have gone either way. It's tough to lose so many seniors, but Yale looks to be a team that will reload every year under coach Allain. Beat Cornell tonight and make us all happy
                          Well, not all . . . Go Big Red!
                          . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

Ouch, I guess the only thing left to hope for this season is some post season play at Ingalls, we need to remain out of the bottom four teams for this to happen. From the videos I have seen it looked like Malcolm had some soft goals this weekend, nice to see wilson play well as his replacement last night. I watched the first period online last night and Cornell is the real deal, big and strong. Firlin is an absolute beast.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                              Ouch, I guess the only thing left to hope for this season is some post season play at Ingalls, we need to remain out of the bottom four teams for this to happen. From the videos I have seen it looked like Malcolm had some soft goals this weekend, nice to see wilson play well as his replacement last night. I watched the first period online last night and Cornell is the real deal, big and strong. Firlin is an absolute beast.
                              Thanks LTsatch. Ferlin is a beast.

Also, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I can't believe the amount of hubris that Allain has. According to the recap, he said: "The bottom line is we had to work way too hard for goals, while theirs came much too easily."

There was one soft goal. Cornell dominated the first and Yale couldn't muster any kind of coordinated offense in the second. It would be much more accurate to say that his team didn't work hard enough off the ice than to blame luck.
                              Let's Go Red!

Comment

After listening to Coach Allain's pre-game interview with Cornell radio, I have to say that he is a strange duck. Unlike virtually every other opposing coach, he made no effort at all to be personable. His responses were like pulling teeth: just the absolute minimum to acknowledge that a question had been asked. As a listener, I was uncomfortable because his responses seemed to indicate that he was being tortured and only answering under duress. Only the final thank you seemed normal, seemingly because he was being released from further torture.
                                . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

Working...
                                X