Hockey East 2011 - 2012 :

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East 2011 - 2012 :

So? Does the west generally get more individual talent? Ya I'd say so, but it doesn't stick around long. Hockey East has won 3 of the last 4 NCs and has been competitive for a long time, I'd still say we are a premier conference, although those stats are kind of interesting.
    Arenas Attended
    Matthews Arena
    Agganis Arena
    Tsongas Arena
    Lawler Arena
    Schneider Arena
    Mullins Center
    TD Banknorth Garden
    Conte Forum
    Whittemore Center
    Gutterson Fieldhouse
    Alfond Arena
    Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
      So? Does the west generally get more individual talent? Ya I'd say so, but it doesn't stick around long. Hockey East has won 3 of the last 4 NCs and has been competitive for a long time, I'd still say we are a premier conference, although those stats are kind of interesting.
      Also, the CCHA has 11 teams and the WCHA has 12 so that cuts the gap a bit if you consider average NHL players per school. ECAC also 12 widening that gap a bit.

Comment

Different style of hockey. Western teams play bigger; they are, or at least in the past have been, more physical. Eastern teams have been smaller but faster. When many of the players from the successful smaller-built teams try to head to the NHL all of a sudden that style of play isn't all that conducive to winning championships. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but I think in general, it might offer some explanation as to why we see more NHL talent come from the west.
        Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          FWIW, ppl I know with UConn ties tell me that entrenched bball interests at that institution are dead set against significant in-season revenue-producing competition. Similar outlook at Syracuse going back many years.
          Duh. I mean I hate to do that, but that's been the over-riding behavior for the last 7 years, that doesn't change on a dime. Just tired of having to re-iterate the positively obvious over and over again.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Here's my thoughts as I posted in the Lowell forum last night.

1. BU:

On paper, they are absolutely loaded up front with Coyle, Chiasson, Connolly, Gill, Trivino, etc. Still a couple of question marks on a talent-laden but young defense. Which Millian will be seen, the freshman/junior version or the sophomore version.

2. BC:

As usual, lots of offensive skill, speed, and vets, but we'll see about how much they miss Muse. The usual shoo-in for home ice, but not having Muse does cost them a regular-season championship.

3. UNH:

Every time you think UNH will take a step back, they maintain consistency in offense. USCHO's #1 goalie however is going to be tested a lot more with a defense that has lost a lot of experience and is rather young.

4: Merrimack

There's no replacing DaCosta, but this is a very senior-laden team that is talented and going to give people fits, especially in their barn. If their sophomore class of Heywood, Ellis, and Collins contribute even more than they did last year, watch out, because they could very well challenge for the RS crown.

Roll dice....seeds 6-10 could be between 6-10 and separated at the end of the year by a few points.

5: Maine

Positioned better than the rest of the pack, they will miss Nyquist more than Merrimack misses DaCosta. Good senior class for offense and a better than average defense. Goaltending will be the problem here in Maine as none of the three goalies currently listed bring fear.

6. Amherst

This team scares me...while young, they have a lot of potential in their large sophomore class. I'm really high on Adam Phillips and Jeff Teglia. This team completely destroyed Lowell in the two games at the Zoo last year and they could be this year's version of Merrimack. Offense is a concern.

7. Lowell

New coach, upgraded rink, a much more stable defense, and a goaltender who was on some radars last years as one of the best freshman netminders. The key will be how much the sophomore class makes the jump from overwhelmed freshmen to seasoned sophomores. We'll see if the new style of play promised to Lowell fans leads to more scoring and better defense.

8. Vermont

Yes, they have Madore, and I do like Brickley, Lenz, and Stalberg. Before I can hop on the Chittenden Country Transit Authority bus from the airport to campus, this team has to stop being the Michael Ryder of Hockey East and get consistent scoring. They can drop a nine-spot on you one game, and get shut out for the next two.

9. Northeastern

Northeastern could very will finish anywhere for 5th to 10th and with the three-ring circus that happened since the BU playoff series. I do think they have some decent talent with their junior class (we'll see about Saponari )

10. Providence

Nate Leaman, good coach. Like Mark Dennehy, there will be more growing pains to clean out this program and that means time. Berglund is one of my favorite HE players and will have his hands full. Then again, that's why the play the games.
            Last edited by John_Fuller; 09-30-2011, 08:03 PM.
            - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

John, BU certainly has some good forwards, but I don't think "absolutely loaded" is accurate at all. Also, Millan's numbers may have looked good last year, but I don't think you'd find anyone, including BU fans, who thought he was great last year. JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                John, BU certainly has some good forwards, but I don't think "absolutely loaded" is accurate at all. Also, Millan's numbers may have looked good last year, but I don't think you'd find anyone, including BU fans, who thought he was great last year. JMO.
                There were numerous games last year where he did play great. He had some *** moments here and there, but largely, his play was very solid, especially considering he got virtually no help ffrom his offense and was often hung out to dry by lazy and uninterested defense. His problem seems to be that when he lets one by that he knows was soft, he has trouble mentally recovering and ends up on tilt, so to speak, leading to more softies and erratic play. That was more of a concern in 09-10, but was still present to a lesser extent last year. Nonetheless, he overall had a very solid season last year.
                time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  John, BU certainly has some good forwards, but I don't think "absolutely loaded" is accurate at all.
                  My thoughts exactly. No doubt there is potential there, but let's not overstate what they have actually accomplished. Chiasson is consistent and has improved steadily, and should be one of the top two scorers on the team. Coyle, for all the hype, had a solid, but not amazing year (26 pts. I believe). If he continues to mature, he should be right up there with Chiasson. To me, all the other forwards fall into the "could do very well" category. I expect Nieto to do well. Trivino and Connolly - they've been here three years, I don't think they will surprise us, but will pay solidly. Gill could play a big role, but I'm not as confident with him as I am Nieto. The freshmen - I've learned not to come in with expectations, but to just see how they do. Hopefully, both Hohmann and Rodrigues will be good enough to play every night.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

The loss of Warsofsky cannot be overlooked for BU. He made that whole offense go from the blue line. I think BU wins the regular season title and BC wins the tournament title.
                    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                      The loss of Warsofsky cannot be overlooked for BU. He made that whole offense go from the blue line. I think BU wins the regular season title and BC wins the tournament title.
                      Did you watch him play last year? There is a reason the powerplay struggled and the whole offense did at times and it started with Warsofsky. He wasn't as bad as we all made it sound at times but he still didn't come close to living up to expectations.
                      GO BU

Comment

Originally posted by mpereira View Post
                        Did you watch him play last year? There is a reason the powerplay struggled and the whole offense did at times and it started with Warsofsky. He wasn't as bad as we all made it sound at times but he still didn't come close to living up to expectations.
                        He was the least of the problems. The least.

Safe to say BU didnt live up to expectations as well. Just like this year they have components on the team that are me me oriented that might destroy team chemistry. Think Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post

Safe to say BU didnt live up to expectations as well. Just like this year they have components on the team that are me me oriented that might destroy team chemistry. Think Red Sox
                          Too soon
                          Arenas Attended
                          Matthews Arena
                          Agganis Arena
                          Tsongas Arena
                          Lawler Arena
                          Schneider Arena
                          Mullins Center
                          TD Banknorth Garden
                          Conte Forum
                          Whittemore Center
                          Gutterson Fieldhouse
                          Alfond Arena
                          Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Too soon
                            true

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post

How was Warsofsky the least of the problems? He seemed like exhibit A of the me me attitude and didn't play to back it up either. And they haven't even hit the ice yet this year. You have no clue how they are going play this season.
                              GO BU

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
                                7. Lowell

New coach, upgraded rink, a much more stable defense, and a goaltender who was on some radars last years as one of the best freshman netminders. The key will be how much the sophomore class makes the jump from overwhelmed freshmen to seasoned sophomores. We'll see if the new style of play promised to Lowell fans leads to more scoring and better defense.
                                Which goalie was this?

Comment

Working...
                                X