This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2011-12

So Ferris State is now #1. I wonder where we'd be in the pairwise if we could have split with them.

We're in good shape with tiebreakers over Clarkson, SLU and Quinn based on our wins over Cornell. Even if we win just one of our last 4 it should be enough to get a bye, although I'm hoping we can go at least 3-1.

Comment

I don't know about winning one and getting the bye. Right now twenty seven points is needed.(According to the "experts") here. Just win two baby !! I would also guess that 75% of the first round byes get to the ECAC Championships.
      Last edited by sshablak; 02-14-2012, 08:35 AM.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Hopefully we get back to playing some D this weekend and the goalies get back on track. Looked like a lot of mental lapses in the Brown game. We've been fairly good at supporting defensively in all areas of the ice. In the Brown game our defensive positioning was terrible. A few of the turnovers that resulted in goals were situations where no one supported. That being said, I am optimistic because despite the lapses and sloppy play, the boys found a way to win.

Comment

While a bye in the first round would be great for morale & status, I'm really nervous about having a week off without the competition. Once the ball gets rolling I hate to see it stop for time off. I keep thinking about what #12 'Gate did last year. Could we conceivably run into trouble with a Brown or RPI team that is out to prove something after a down regular season?

It's really super to think of the turnaround we've made since last season, but I'm really a mental case just anticipating meeting a team that has played the previous week and won a series...even on home ice.
          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

We need to beat SLU, since 2003 we've won once at Appleton. Thank god we beat them in the playoffs a few times though.

Comment

Colgate is front and center in Nate Owen's most recent column about things ECAC Hockey:
              http://www.uscho.com/2012/02/15/for-...ust-a-preview/
              Colgate '09

Comment

INCH has Smith #1 Hobey contender this week.

Comment

Penalties killed us again last night. Better fix that problem as our kill is getting dangerously low. Reminded me of how we lost at Harvard. Win tonight !

Comment

HUGE game tonight. Although a loss would not be catastrophic, a win should really position us well to maintain a first round bye.

On the recruit front, just a quick note that the Cornwall Colts are in first place in their division in the CJHL with a 39-11-2-3 record. As I've said before, I have no idea what the caliber of that league is but we are getting the top FOUR scorers from a first place team. Two of the recruits (Mike Borkowski and Tyson Spink) are in the top 7 in league scoring and the other two (Kyle Baun and Tylor Spink) are in the top 20 in league scoring.

http://cornwallcolts.stats.pointstre...l?leagueid=349

What's impressive about the latter two is that while most players in the league's 11-20 in scoring have played about 50 games, Baun has only played 35 and Tylor Spink 22. Tylor Spink has 54 points in 22 games. So, it looks like there are some potential players coming in. What'll also be nice is that all of our freshman forwards in next year's class will come in with experience playing as a unit.

As for the more important, the present, can we win tonight? Although we've had a fair amount of recent success at Cheel, I am nervous. Karpowich is tough and the Knights are hunting that last bye plus it's Senior Night. It should be a good one. We need the secondary scorers to take the heat off the top line like they did last weekend. Let's go Gate!
                    Last edited by Marmot; 02-18-2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the rundown on the Colts' players Marmot. We are going to need a lot of help next season with Austin gone, although Wags is positioned to be a force. Wonder who he'll be paired with; maybe Joe Wilson and one of the frosh?

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Clarkson is playing their best hockey it looks like, and stayed with Cornell to the end last night. Need to solve Karpowich, come out flying in the first period with some scores, and stay out of the box + play a full 60 minutes.

Comment

Gate Radio kept mentioning the team woke up yesterday with many sick players, I guess stomache and etc. Coach thought about postponing the game till today but thought conditions might get worse instead of better.

A few years ago the same thing happened to a team that I believe had just played SLU then ate at the Pizza Hut in Canton !!! Wonder where they ate post game Friday night ?

The "only" positive thing, with teams beating up on each other, If we beat RPI next Friday, we guarantee at least a first round bye. That is because Harvard and Clarkson play each other Saturday night.

What a weird season !

Comment

I have yet to read anything about Kevin McNamara not playing. It has been 4 weeks since he was in the lineup. Either a serious injury, academic issue, or deep in Donnie's doghouse for something?

Comment

Let's just throw this weekend out the window. At least nothing catastrophic happened.

Friday we were down 3-0 in a rink we generally struggle at, then made a game of it. Just one of those nights where we couldn't stay out of the box. Still, we were the better 5x5 team. Saturday we were down 2-0 and still fought to the final horn. Didn't see/hear the game but it sounded like Clarkson's 1st goal was another "fluky" one. Plus we apparently had several players fighting a stomach bug. Gotta give credit to Paul Karpowich though, he's one of the top 3 goalies in the league and should be seriously considered for the Ken Dryden award. If it weren't for Chris Wagner's heroics he would have gotten a shutout.

Also, this is only the 3rd time this season where we yield less than three goals and lose. Again, we ran into a hot goaltender.

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                            The "only" positive thing, with teams beating up on each other, If we beat RPI next Friday, we guarantee at least a first round bye. That is because Harvard and Clarkson play each other Saturday night.
                            Correct. It'll be another weekend at the races, but we can only finish between 3rd and 6th. We would win tiebreakers over Yale and SLU based on our "record vs. top 4" because Cornell is guaranteed a bye and we went 2-0 against them (Yale and SLU both went 0-2 vs. the Big Red). There is one scenario where we are in a 4-way tie for 4th (us, Harvard, SLU, Yale) but it would require us going pointless, Yale sweeping, SLU sweeping, and Harvard defeating Clarkson. But let's just take care of our own business. Beat RPI on Friday and get that bye! We were in a similar situation 2 seasons ago.

Originally posted by 'Gate Man View Post
                            I have yet to read anything about Kevin McNamara not playing. It has been 4 weeks since he was in the lineup. Either a serious injury, academic issue, or deep in Donnie's doghouse for something?
                            Injured scratch. For privacy purposes, I am not going to disclose that information here.
                            Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                              Didn't see/hear the game but it sounded like Clarkson's 1st goal was another "fluky" one. Plus we apparently had several players fighting a stomach bug. Gotta give credit to Paul Karpowich though, he's one of the top 3 goalies in the league and should be seriously considered for the Ken Dryden award.
                              Gate Radio seemed to indicate Clarkson's goals were of the dirty kind, and Evan just couldn't control the rebounds. Sounded like we outplayed the Nights at least in the first two periods, but ran out of gas in the third, which is understandable.

Would like to know who recommends the restaurants we go to in Canton or Potsdam. Might want to switch gears in future years - get takeout at Hamilton's McDonalds if necessary Seems like I remember this happening once before.

Is the RPI game a "trap game" seeing as how Union will be at Starr on Saturday? I hope not. We've gotta focus on the Engineers above all else and get it done; leave it all on the ice and face Saturday on Saturday. I'm sure there will be plenty of motive to down the Dutchmen, but can't look ahead. Hopefully our Big Red brethern will tire them out Fri.

Comment

I can confirm that several Cornell players missed a Saturday night game after getting food poisoning from the Canton Pizza Hut following the Friday game. I can't remember what year it was (many years ago now) or whether Saturday's opponent was SLU or Clarkson. "Canton Pizza Hut" is a recurring meme over on eLynah.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X