This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2011-12

Greencoat....email me at sshablak@aol.com please.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

PWR forecast Update: January 14, 2012

Well a disappointing 6-2 loss to the Princeton Tigers was not what we were hoping for. As far as today goes: just win, baby. A win over Quinnipiac does the following:
      -Snaps the losing skid
      -Snaps a losing skid at TD Bank Sports Center
      -Gives us a H2H tiebreaker over the Bobcats
      -Gives us a road split
      -Keeps us on pace for a top-4 ECAC finish

Other teams to root for:
      -Merrimack over Maine (the Warriors won last night)
      -BU over Harvard
      -Dartmouth over UNH
      -BC over Northeastern
      -Miami over Lake Superior
      -Ferris State over Alaska
      -Nebraska-Omaha over Minn-Duluth

We will most likely have to go on a winning streak of sorts in order to improve our objective PWR status. A win over Quinnipiac (today), as well as wins over Cornell and Union will go a long way. I'll be making the trip down to CT this afternoon, my 3rd trip to TD Bank Sports Center, and I don't want a repeat of my last two trips there.
      Colgate '09

Comment

What happened? Still scratching my head?

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
          PWR forecast Update: January 14, 2012

Well a disappointing 6-2 loss to the Princeton Tigers was not what we were hoping for. As far as today goes: just win, baby. A win over Quinnipiac does the following:
          -Snaps the losing skid
          -Snaps a losing skid at TD Bank Sports Center
          -Gives us a H2H tiebreaker over the Bobcats
          -Gives us a road split
          -Keeps us on pace for a top-4 ECAC finish

Other teams to root for:
          -Merrimack over Maine (the Warriors won last night)
          -BU over Harvard
          -Dartmouth over UNH
          -BC over Northeastern
          -Miami over Lake Superior
          -Ferris State over Alaska
          -Nebraska-Omaha over Minn-Duluth

We will most likely have to go on a winning streak of sorts in order to improve our objective PWR status. A win over Quinnipiac (today), as well as wins over Cornell and Union will go a long way. I'll be making the trip down to CT this afternoon, my 3rd trip to TD Bank Sports Center, and I don't want a repeat of my last two trips there.
          I hope your team doesn't underestimate them. Bobcats' D was very good and it looked like they were going to win at the end of 2 periods yesterday.
          Let's Go Red!

Comment

Greencoat...Check your email please.

Comment

for the moment I think it best to save my comments for a later date...I will say this however...it's simply too bad that our hockey program continues to be incapable of recruiting average DI forwards to complement the talented kids who have come through the program over the past five years...sadly, I think the fast start to the season was partly a function of both last year's finish and the advantage of playing overseas in August...our opponents are improving; we've taken a big step back...tonite was simply embarrassing (again)...

Comment

• Corkey Commits To Colgate

Vernon Viper Defenceman Brett Corkey has committed to Colgate.

Here is his player profile:

http://www.hockeytube.net/2012/01/14/corkey-commits-to-colgate/
                Last edited by abro2007; 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                  for the moment I think it best to save my comments for a later date...I will say this however...it's simply too bad that our hockey program continues to be incapable of recruiting average DI forwards to complement the talented kids who have come through the program over the past five years...sadly, I think the fast start to the season was partly a function of both last year's finish and the advantage of playing overseas in August...our opponents are improving; we've taken a big step back...tonite was simply embarrassing (again)...
                  GreenCoat- Nice comment to motivate all those below average players that represent Colgate. Why not throw in some D and goaltending too? What about coaches? Just like you to turn negative. Were they all below average when we were winning? Didn't see you with negative comments then. ECAC has more parity than most leagues, we are simply reverting to the mean. Don't blame your the lack of superior forwards for this loss. Giving up 7 goals on 25 shots doesn't sound like a problem with all those below average forwards. If you are going to be a fair weather fan, then stick to the start of your post and "save your comments."

Comment

well...where do I begin...perhaps our record over the past five years for starters and the fact that I (along with others) have mentioned the absence of second and third line scoring for five years...to blame the goaltending (which admittedly was poor) for the seven goals on 25 shots ignores some of the basics of the game. I can give you the numbers on the scoring numbers of our second and third and fourth line players, but hell, its pretty obvious...this season reminds me of the 1997-98 campaign, where, yes, I was a generous contributor to the Silver Puck Council and a committed fan of the program (I won't ask for your bona fides)...fair weather fan??? Sonny, I'll match my commitment to yours any day of the week...if, as you say, we are simply "reverting to the mean" and one accepts (quite reasonably) the superior talents of Austin Smith and Chris Wagner, we must - virtually by definition - accept the fact that our second, third and fourth lines are not contributing up to any "mean". Tell me, Hockey Eh, how do you feel after the last four games, and frankly the last five years...do you really think that Cornell considers us a major rival? Perhaps you consider it politically incorrect to provide some criticism of a program that has not won a first round game in Albany since 1990...I support the program - financially and emotionally - but I think it can be evaluated within reasonable contexts. I think DV is a good coach and a great representative for Colgate...I also feel that the program has not recovered from losing both Stan Moore and Andrew Dickson...chew on that...

Comment

Left the game after the 2nd period. Giving up a goal 15 seconds into the 2nd period AND with 15 seconds remaining in the 2nd period is a formula for disaster. Yes, DISASTER.

All of the elements from last season's ordeals were present from the start of the 2nd period. We played sloppy, we were outhustled, and we GAVE UP A SHORTHANDED GOAL for the 3RD GAME IN A ROW. That is a Cardinal Sin everyone. No team that gives up a SHG deserves to win a game.

Now I'm really concerned about the remainder of the season. Will we rebound from this slump? Will we still have a strong finish? Will we still get a 1st-round bye then make it to Atlantic City? We'll just have to wait and see. I'm not throwing in the towel yet, but the Cornell games are now looking like a big mountain to climb...
                      Colgate '09

Comment

Bad Defense. Bad Offense. Bad Goaltending. Bad Weekend.
                        The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

We have to figure out what we "were" doing differently than what we are doing now. Something seems to have changed. We still have the talent, the team won twenty games going back to the second half of last year and the first half of this year.
                          All four losses on the road, it's mind boggling, is it a "road thing" ?

Back to Starr, we need some home ice, just do what we were doing !! Evin's injury (which was being kept secret) hurt us as our third stringer lacks any experience. Evin is just about ready to go now.I think this blip is temporary, go forward, don't let it get in your head. Keep the faith !!

Comment

Snakebitten on the 13th, gave up 13 goals, waiting for win #13...not feeling so lucky this weekend. Am more hopeful and optimistic when we're down; still lots of league hockey left. Those one-goal losses last year were at least respectable; this weekend was just as hollow as hollow gets. Time to fix all that's broken and help Smith get that Hobey. Keep last year's playoffs in your thoughts, Raider fans...we're still a team to be reckoned with and our unpredictability is a great weapon! Don't have to be ranked to be King.

http://www.rpitv.org/productions/376...colgate-game-3

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/p...deos&wpid=9616

The women's team limping through another season. After 15 years, it would be nice to have a top four finish. Cornell has come out of nowhere and isn't looking back. Wish Colgate had that success.
                            C O L G A T E
                            2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                            1990 NCAA FINALS
                            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                            ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                            ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                              well...where do I begin...perhaps our record over the past five years for starters and the fact that I (along with others) have mentioned the absence of second and third line scoring for five years...to blame the goaltending (which admittedly was poor) for the seven goals on 25 shots ignores some of the basics of the game. I can give you the numbers on the scoring numbers of our second and third and fourth line players, but hell, its pretty obvious...this season reminds me of the 1997-98 campaign, where, yes, I was a generous contributor to the Silver Puck Council and a committed fan of the program (I won't ask for your bona fides)...fair weather fan??? Sonny, I'll match my commitment to yours any day of the week...if, as you say, we are simply "reverting to the mean" and one accepts (quite reasonably) the superior talents of Austin Smith and Chris Wagner, we must - virtually by definition - accept the fact that our second, third and fourth lines are not contributing up to any "mean". Tell me, Hockey Eh, how do you feel after the last four games, and frankly the last five years...do you really think that Cornell considers us a major rival? Perhaps you consider it politically incorrect to provide some criticism of a program that has not won a first round game in Albany since 1990...I support the program - financially and emotionally - but I think it can be evaluated within reasonable contexts. I think DV is a good coach and a great representative for Colgate...I also feel that the program has not recovered from losing both Stan Moore and Andrew Dickson...chew on that...
                              Time to talk some of you guys down off the ledge!!!
                              I took in both the Cornell and Colgate games at Q Pac this weekend and can offer the following appraisal.

-First don't shoot me but I don't think either Cornell or Colgate look legitimately to be the 9th and 12 ranked teams in the country.
                              -On the other hand I thought your skill level was much higher than that of Cornell. Cornell might be deeper top to bottom and bigger, but not necessarily better.
                              -With regard to the Q Pac game, the actual play was not reflective of the score. Colgate dominated the first period, got a couple of horrible breaks to start the second when the first goal got redirected at least twice and the second goal came as a result of a very bad bounce off the boards which turned into a perfect centering pass.

-After that I still thought Colgate was the more skilled team but the mistakes they made were "fatal" ones and the more behind they got and the harder they pushed...it lead to a few breakaways, shortie, etc.
                              -To your teams credit although way down on the scoreboard....they did not quit and worked hard right to the end.
                              -My friends at Q Pac would consider me saying this heresy, but I really thought Colgate was the better team and actually played better than Q Pac but unfortunately it was one of those nights where the score didn't reflect what happened on the ice.

As to the overall slide of your program, the comments on the decline, recruiting and the like we feel your pain at SLU. Getting top recruits to come to Canton is becoming increasingly difficult. Yes we still get good players, but the days of landing blue chippers are long gone and it is the overlooked player who blossoms that is going to be both our fates.
                              I was commenting to the friends I have at Q Pac who I watch the game with that going to a game at "the Bank" is about as opposite as going to a game at Starr or Appleton as one can imagine. A beautiful, modern arena, a fantastic overall complex, electronic hand held scanners to scan your ticket, an atmosphere of a minor league hockey arena. It is no wonder we have lost so many recruiting battles to Quinnipiac as just the arena and athletic budgets aside you could easily see a recruit getting stars in their eyes when touring where they would play their career.
                              You have a good program with a good history.....you have a very good coach.....you have a prestigious school and a gorgeous campus. To me the one thing the program seems to be sorely lacking is some sort of a modern arena. Not only for the fans but to attract and help on the recruiting front. I have no idea what the political landscape or implications are (with regard to the rink) but to me that is one element of your program that cries out for being a missing element.

In closing I think your team this year is a talented one.......not a top 12 team talent necessarily but certainly one of the better teams in the ECAC. However with the parity in the league....and teams beating each others brains out week in and week out, I don't think you can get too down on this team. They have talent, great passing, scoring and stick skills and over the long haul I think that will show. Keep the faith!!
                              SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                                -My friends at Q Pac would consider me saying this heresy
                                Nah... everyone's entitled to an opinion, even if it's wrong!

I really thought Colgate was the better team and actually played better than Q Pac but unfortunately it was one of those nights where the score didn't reflect what happened on the ice.
                                Actually, I agree with Mike (critsports) here, at least through 2 periods. 'Gate skated hard and kept pressuring but, as he said, just weren't getting the bounces. I can relate to that because that's how we played against Cornell on Friday. Your team never quit, even towards the end of the 3rd when everyone knew the game was over. Sure, there was some frustration (Smith's penalty) but the effort never waned.

Colgate was certainly one of the best teams we've seen at the Bank this season. I was impressed watching them in Atlantic City back in March, and was impressed with them yesterday at Quinnipiac.
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                                Northeast Regional:
                                West Regional: 2015, 2021
                                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X