No announcement yet.

Buffalo Bulls varsity men's ice hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buffalo Bulls varsity men's ice hockey?

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
    RIT's non-scholarship, and is already a mini powerhouse within the conference they're in. There's no compelling reason for them to bolt.
    That's what I thought. They had to come in after the grandfather clause, so all leaving Atlantic Hockey is going to do is put them at a bigger disadvantage.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
      My wild-a55 guess is that RIT is staying mum until 1) ND announces 2) if it is HEA, then until a 12th team is selected. If it is not RIT, then they could look elsewhere.

Note: You have Bobby Mo listed twice. So that is just five in the conference. RIT would make a nice #6. Army/AFA would work, so would Ferris state ... or UB.
      Subtract a Bob Morris, add a UB.

RMU, Mercy, BGSU, UB, Niagara, and RIT was what I was shooting for. Would make for a nice little conference with two decently condensed pods.

In all honesty, I probably should have gone to bed a while ago.
      Last edited by aallenpollreisz; 09-27-2011, 08:48 PM.
      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
      66 - 86 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
        I'm a bit curious: Why would RIT not consider a jump to another conference? A "CCHA" with BGSU, RMU, Niagara, Canisius, Bob Morris and Mercy would probably be pretty winnable for you guys.

Couple that with the maximum number of scholarships, pretty solid reciting territory, and a new rink, and I think RIT could grow to a mini powerhouse within that hypothetical conference.
        That hypothetical conference is basically the AHA-West replacing AFA with UB (and adding BGSU, of course). Of course RIT could win it, but in time it would become more and more difficult with the other AHA teams further increasing their scholarship advantage over the Tigers. They're already the best regular season team in AHA (nod to AFA's four tournament championships to RIT's one). Why not stay after all the other West programs get out of their way? Talk about a powerhouse. I'm sure there would be solid chances for upsets in the tournament, but RIT would clearly be the hands-down favorite to win that league just about every year.
        Can't we all just get along?
        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
          That hypothetical conference is basically the AHA-West replacing AFA with UB (and adding BGSU, of course). Of course RIT could win it, but in time it would become more and more difficult with the other AHA teams further increasing their scholarship advantage over the Tigers. They're already the best regular season team in AHA (nod to AFA's four tournament championships to RIT's one). Why not stay after all the other West programs get out of their way? Talk about a powerhouse. I'm sure there would be solid chances for upsets in the tournament, but RIT would clearly be the hands-down favorite to win that league just about every year.
          Ya'know, I'll bet you really liked that Seinfeld episode where Kramer was taking karate ... where all the other students in the class were about 12 years old.
          GO PURPS!
          Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

What would RIT gain from that conference? It's not like they are going to be playing better teams in conference. I think it would be difficult for multiple teams from this confernece to get NCAA bids. RIT can't offer scholarships. I don't see any incenting.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Don't look for Jacobs to spend any money. That guy has been a cheap skate with the Bruins for year. Always screwing over the fans in boston buy cheaping out in paying players. thank god there was a salary cap so everyone had to be as cheap as him.
              Rinks Visited
              DCU Center
              Tulley Forum
              TD Garden
              Tsongas Arena
              J. Thom Lawler Arena
              Conte Forum
              Whittemore Center
              Agganis Arena
              Verizon Center
              Gutterson Fieldhouse
              Matthews Arena
              Thompson Arena
              Mullins Center
              Alfond Arena
              Schneider Arena
              Magness Arena
              Ingallas Arena
              Hart Center
              Prudential Center
              TD Bank Sports Center
              John A Ryan
              Lynah Rink
              Appleton Arena
              Cheel Arena
              Germain Arena
              XL Center
              Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Originally posted by MCgrad07 View Post
                Don't look for Jacobs to spend any money. That guy has been a cheap skate with the Bruins for year. Always screwing over the fans in boston buy cheaping out in paying players. thank god there was a salary cap so everyone had to be as cheap as him.
                I don't think you can call him cheap if he spends up to the cap like everyone else... They had problems with the cap last year too, so I'm confused by this. He also donated $10 Million to Buffalo before, so he doesn't have qualms about donating to his alma mater.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                  What would RIT gain from that conference? It's not like they are going to be playing better teams in conference. I think it would be difficult for multiple teams from this confernece to get NCAA bids. RIT can't offer scholarships. I don't see any incenting.
                  C'mon Komey ... Mercyhurst, RoMo and NU are almost always highly competitive in the conference (AHA or CHA) ... certainly much "better" than the AHA Eastern Bloc teams that RIT seems to have grown comfortable with since they went D1. Canisius is getting better recently, too. Bowling Green may not have been upper echelon in CCHA but I suspect they would have been in the AHA.

Do we get multiple teams in from the AHA? ... well, no. One of the reasons is that the PWR of the better teams is so low because we have to play multiple conference games v the absolute worst teams in D1. In the suggested six team conference, those games are eliminated and, if the conference schedule is structured properly, any given team could schedule so as to set up for a chance for a bid.

I am so tired of hearing about no scholies. Okay, technically, you offer no scholies. However, defacto, RIT does not lose a player they want because they cannot offer an athletic sholarship. If you ask could I prove that, no. Am I convinced of it, yes ... because I have heard it from sources I trust (who shall remain nameless). Besides, if you didn't get all the players you wanted, RIT would probably be no better than some of the Eastern Bloc teams.

An incentive? Well, a league where your team gets to play at BG's barn and maybe a good extra NC opponent as opposed to traveling to Bentley, AIC, UConn and SHU to play in community rinks in front of 150 people. PLEASE do not tell me your team enjoys that. PLEASE do not tell me that those are the teams you look forward to seeing in your barn ... as opposed to the AHA4 and BG and UB or whoever. That alone should be enough incenting for you.
                  GO PURPS!
                  Real Men wear PURPLE!

Comment

In the late 90s and most of the 2000s he had a crappy product because he never had a big goal scorer once Neely got hurt.
                    Rinks Visited
                    DCU Center
                    Tulley Forum
                    TD Garden
                    Tsongas Arena
                    J. Thom Lawler Arena
                    Conte Forum
                    Whittemore Center
                    Agganis Arena
                    Verizon Center
                    Gutterson Fieldhouse
                    Matthews Arena
                    Thompson Arena
                    Mullins Center
                    Alfond Arena
                    Schneider Arena
                    Magness Arena
                    Ingallas Arena
                    Hart Center
                    Prudential Center
                    TD Bank Sports Center
                    John A Ryan
                    Lynah Rink
                    Appleton Arena
                    Cheel Arena
                    Germain Arena
                    XL Center
                    Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

One of the reasons is that the PWR of the better teams is so low because we have to play multiple conference games v the absolute worst teams in D1.
                      I can guarantee you, from having worked with the numbers a lot, that non-conference performance, and overall winning percentage, matters far more than conference strength of schedule. AIC is not that big of a drag on RIT (or whoever's top-flight in the league) unless the team actually loses to the Jackets.
                      UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                        I can guarantee you, from having worked with the numbers a lot, that non-conference performance, and overall winning percentage, matters far more than conference strength of schedule. AIC is not that big of a drag on RIT (or whoever's top-flight in the league) unless the team actually loses to the Jackets.
                        I am sure you have much more expertise on PWR than I; however, taking a quick look at the Primer on CHN, I do not see much reference to whether the opponent is in-conference or non-conference. Maybe I would have to drill deeper on that for an explanation. However, it is not just RIT v AIC for one game. It is three games against AIC ... and three against SHU ... three against UConn ... three against Bentley ... etc. Essentially, most of the schedule eaten up against weak competition with only seven NC games to build a better PWR in non-conference performance.
                        GO PURPS!
                        Real Men wear PURPLE!

Comment

This is my opinion on the whole thing. ND is going to HE(we can all agree that that is pretty set right?). The question becomes who goes in with them, lets stick to the rumors and say RPI. That leaves one spot in ECAC. The two choices are RIT and Holy Cross. If RIT takes the spot then you will probably have BG go to WCHA. If Holy Cross takes it then I can see RIT joining with BG, RMU, Niagara, Canisius, and MH to form a new look CCHA. You lose 5 from AHA which means that UAH can then join AHA and finally have a conference(unless I'm that far behind on the UAH situation that they have been dropped). It would give AHA 7 teams but that is workable, not ideal but workable. Then if UB comes in they go to CCHA and another teams joins with them. I actually prefer the CCHA scenario.
                          RITTIGERS FOR LIFE!!

Proud member of the Corner.

Support Hockey. Any Location, Any Time, Any Level, Any Gender. For some it's a game, for others a sport - for me, it's something more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tweedle Dee View Post
                            (unless I'm that far behind on the UAH situation that they have been dropped)
                            They haven't been dropped yet, but their interim president is doing everything he can to make it so.
                            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                              They haven't been dropped yet, but their interim president is doing everything he can to make it so.
                              They just appointed a new Prez, the interim is gone. The UAH faithful are hoping that could change the outlook but there does not seem to be any indication either way, as yet.
                              GO PURPS!
                              Real Men wear PURPLE!

Comment

They just appointed a new Prez, the interim is gone. The UAH faithful are hoping that could change the outlook but there does not seem to be any indication either way, as yet.
                                That takes place November 1st. Portera still has a month to axe the program.

Comment

Working...
                                X