X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>> RIT Tigers 2011-2012 <<<<< Dreaming is Done, Time to ROAR

Originally posted by MattS View Post
    That was the worst display I have seen by a RIT team since I don't know when. Maybe ever.
    You can't be serious.

RIT was playing a much better team and was definitely not supposed to win. This was Ruby's first full game at the collegiate level, and we're missing a whole bunch of D-men. After the 1st period, RIT looked much better, but they were still being outplayed. I think that they were mentally focused and motivated, I just think they were playing a very talented team.

I will say that RIT needs to work on making smarter passes and better decisions with the puck. However, tonight's game will provide invaluable video for them to study. They'll be able to see where they need to improve and how to fix their bad habits. It's very good for RIT to play such a good team this early in the season in order to shed light on their weaknesses. It would be worse if RIT started rolling by winning a bunch of AHA contests and were not adequately challenged early on.
    RIT Tigers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln145QKj2pE - A video I shot of Ricky Walton's penalty shot vs. Canisius 11/2/07. It ended up being the game winner.

2013-14 AHA Pick 'Em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
      You can't be serious.

RIT was playing a much better team and was definitely not supposed to win. This was Ruby's first full game at the collegiate level, and we're missing a whole bunch of D-men. After the 1st period, RIT looked much better, but they were still being outplayed. I think that they were mentally focused and motivated, I just think they were playing a very talented team.

I will say that RIT needs to work on making smarter passes and better decisions with the puck. However, tonight's game will provide invaluable video for them to study. They'll be able to see where they need to improve and how to fix their bad habits. It's very good for RIT to play such a good team this early in the season in order to shed light on their weaknesses. It would be worse if RIT started rolling by winning a bunch of AHA contests and were not adequately challenged early on.
      I'd sure have liked to win the early AHA contests. Scored more than 1 goal combined in the 2 games, anyway. And I agree with MattS. I'm not interested in the 5 defensemen excuse when it was 4-0 before the first intermission. I'm not interested in the rookie goalie excuse when the goaltender was not at fault for the goals. I can't think of a worse performance at the Ritter during the TV era. Merrimack was a better team than Union last year, and we were actually in that game for awhile because we could put the puck in the net. This one was over almost before it started.
      Last edited by jflory81; 10-22-2011, 11:04 PM.

Comment

2009-10 games 1-5 ( 0-5, outscored 19-12)
        colgate (bca) - 3-2 loss
        @ st lawrence - 3-1 loss
        @ clarkson - 5-3 loss
        @ air force - 5-4 loss
        @ air force - 3-2 loss

2010-11 games 1-5 (0-4-1, outscored 23-11)
        @ st cloud - 3-1 loss
        @ nebraska - 5-3 loss
        umass-lowell (bca) - 4-4 tie
        @ rpi - 4-1 loss
        @ union 7-2 loss

2011-12 games 1-5 (1-2-1, outscored 13-7)
        niagara - 0-0 tie
        st lawrence (bca) - 6-5 OT win
        @ canisius - 3-1 loss
        union 5-0 loss

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
        I knew this argument was coming, and I couldn't disagree with it more. They have looked significantly worse as a team this year than they have in the prior two seasons. In 09-10, they outplayed most of their non-confrence foes (and, as blasphemous as it is to say, were undone by shaky DeMichal goaltending), then had two very difficult games in Colorado against Air Force to start the year. In 10-11 they started the year by hanging with two very good CCHA/WCHA schools, beating Robert Morris and Cornell - with the only stinkers being one weekend in the Capital district.
        and i am afraid i will have to disagree with you. tonight is exactly what i saw against both rpi and union last year. a combination of sloppy tiger play and being completely outclassed by good teams.

as has been discussed, there are a few things at play here. over the previous seasons, we have usually played a lot of games away and OOC at the start of the season. this is also the time when wilson is working on both choosing his goalies and getting lines set. and of course we have the lack of defensive depths, injuries, and the incident with shane. every year the fans come on here and panic about our start. asking how we will catch up. asking how are we going to replace brenner/favot (or ringwald/tanev/demike, or even lambert/smith) asking how the team will compete when looking so bad against some solid competition.

this season is shaping up just like last season and the one before it. tough opponents, and we have been just about doubled in goals scored each year. the differences this year are that we have played more at home than usual and that we are not scoring as much. every year though we come back and finish at the top of the aha. lets try to hold the faith and trust in wilson and the boys. they havent let us down yet, and until they do ive got to trust that wilson has things under control.
        i refuse to take out my keys.

ritter arena, ira wilson arena, dwyer arena, tate rink, blue cross arena, buffalo state sports arena, houston fieldhouse, times union center, ford field, messa rink

Comment

Originally posted by dutchbrowncoat View Post
          2009-10 games 1-5 ( 0-5, outscored 19-12)
          colgate (bca) - 3-2 loss
          @ st lawrence - 3-1 loss
          @ clarkson - 5-3 loss
          @ air force - 5-4 loss
          @ air force - 3-2 loss

2010-11 games 1-5 (0-4-1, outscored 23-11)
          @ st cloud - 3-1 loss
          @ nebraska - 5-3 loss
          umass-lowell (bca) - 4-4 tie
          @ rpi - 4-1 loss
          @ union 7-2 loss

2011-12 games 1-5 (1-2-1, outscored 13-7)
          niagara - 0-0 tie
          st lawrence (bca) - 6-5 OT win
          @ canisius - 3-1 loss
          union 5-0 loss

and i am afraid i will have to disagree with you. tonight is exactly what i saw against both rpi and union last year. a combination of sloppy tiger play and being completely outclassed by good teams.

as has been discussed, there are a few things at play here. over the previous seasons, we have usually played a lot of games away and OOC at the start of the season. this is also the time when wilson is working on both choosing his goalies and getting lines set. and of course we have the lack of defensive depths, injuries, and the incident with shane. every year the fans come on here and panic about our start. asking how we will catch up. asking how are we going to replace brenner/favot (or ringwald/tanev/demike, or even lambert/smith) asking how the team will compete when looking so bad against some solid competition.

this season is shaping up just like last season and the one before it. tough opponents, and we have been just about doubled in goals scored each year. the differences this year are that we have played more at home than usual and that we are not scoring as much. every year though we come back and finish at the top of the aha. lets try to hold the faith and trust in wilson and the boys. they havent let us down yet, and until they do ive got to trust that wilson has things under control.
          Yeah. Canisuis is a real tough opponent. You can ignore how the games were played and just look at the final score if you want, but the reality is RIT hasn't looked this bad over their first 4-5 games since they were first finding their way in D-1. Both St. Cloud and UNO were empty-netters resulting in the 2 goal differential. Yes, the Capital district weekend was bad (I already mentioned that), but they had an awful non-conference weekend in Minnesota in 09-10 as well. I'm not worried about one weekend - I'm worried about being beat by conference foes that we usually dominate (Canisuis) and being lucky to work out a tie in our Ritter opener (120 minutes and counting without a goal at the Ritter - you can't win if you can't score, and I defy you to tell me you don't have concerns with this forward corps minus Brenner and Favot). Being lucky to score a miracle win against a lesser ECAC foe and getting blasted by a team that skated to a tie with Niagara last night.

Going by results on the ice, this is not one of the 4 best teams in Atlantic Hockey. It might not even be top 6 at this moment. Some of the freshmen have to step up on a game to game basis, because Burt is incredibly inconsistent, and I frankly don't see "go to guy" in either Hartley or Mitchell.

FWIW, you can go back and look to see if I was panicking over last year's start (I wasn't here the year before, so you can't look at that, but I didn't hate where we were then, too). I certainly wasn't. It's the Canisius/Niagara (mostly Canisius) games that I'm most worried about - as well as the reaction to it (read: not good) tonight. They came out and laid an egg after an embarrassing loss to a team that's probably not going to be very good at all this year.
          Last edited by jflory81; 10-22-2011, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
            That was the worst display I have seen by a RIT team since I don't know when. Maybe ever.
            just in my time as a fan...
            http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey.../rit-vs-union/
            http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...-vs-wisconsin/
            http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...nnesota-state/
            http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...it-vs-niagara/
            http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...-force-vs-rit/
            http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...ollege-vs-rit/
            http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...vs-quinnipiac/
            http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...vs-rensselaer/
            http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...anhattanville/
            http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...elmira-vs-rit/

s**t happens man. but awesome things happen too. i could run and find box scores of our 6+ goal wins, OOC wins, and our frozen four run just as easily.

ritter arena, ira wilson arena, dwyer arena, tate rink, blue cross arena, buffalo state sports arena, houston fieldhouse, times union center, ford field, messa rink

Comment

I was thinking about at the Ritter - I agree there have been worse performances away from home. That Minnesota weekend the FF year was brutal. I'm not sure any of these in the D1 era are definitively worse than tonight though. Territorally we did quite well in a couple, others were against better schools (BC, Wisconsin on horrendous ice)

Comment

I was thinking about at the Ritter - I agree there have been worse performances away from home. That Minnesota weekend the FF year was brutal. I'm not sure any of these in the D1 era are definitively worse than tonight though. Territorally we did quite well in a couple, others were against better schools (BC, Wisconsin on horrendous ice)
                this is quite possibly the best team (currently #12) we have ever hosted at the ritter. i am not sure that is a fair standard to judge against.

Comment

I'm a little concerned about the lack of scoring. Goaltending does look to be better in general in league, so they will need to get better there.

I thought the effort tonight was better, but they were outmanned by a superior team that looked like it had something to prove to themselves.

I liked that Ruby was able to gather himself after a tough 1st period to keep it close the rest of the way. Looks like he needs to work on the glove hand.

I'm not one to jump on the panic button, and I'm certainly not on it yet. However, I am a little closer to it than normal at this time of year. Still lots of hockey, but the sooner they get the scoring figured out, the better and where the Tigers will start winning.
                  2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                  2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                  2010 Frozen Four participant
                  2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by dutchbrowncoat View Post
                    this is quite possibly the best team (currently #12) we have ever hosted at the ritter. i am not sure that is a fair standard to judge against.
                    Merrimack last year was better - possibly significantly so. Of the away teams listed in your previous post, BC and Wisconsin were clearly better, and about half of them were from either their transition years to D1 or their D3 years. (And certainly there were some disappointing D3 moments)

Comment

Out of town scoreboard tonight: Holy Cross beats BU, 5-4, Army ties Colgate at Colgate 3-3. Air Force gets revenge for a shaky tie last night by destroying UAH 7-2. Robert Morris split a pair against a Quinnapiac squad that completely demolished the same Canisius team we lost to. Air Force also played competitive games in a tournment against better teams than Union in North Dakota and Michigan State.

Comment

Out of town scoreboard tonight: Holy Cross beats BU, 5-4, Army ties Colgate at Colgate 3-3. Air Force gets revenge for a shaky tie last night by destroying UAH 7-2. Robert Morris split a pair against a Quinnapiac squad that completely demolished the same Canisius team we lost to. Air Force also played competitive games in a tournment against better teams than Union in North Dakota and Michigan State.
                        Not to nitpick, but the Army-Colgate game was on Cape Cod.
                        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                          Not to nitpick, but the Army-Colgate game was on Cape Cod.
                          My bad. Just went by who was listed last on the tracker. Was that a tourney? (Also, while we're nitpicking, the final score was actually 2-2, not 3-3 )

Comment

Yeah. Canisuis is a real tough opponent. You can ignore how the games were played and just look at the final score if you want, but the reality is RIT hasn't looked this bad over their first 4-5 games since they were first finding their way in D-1. Both St. Cloud and UNO were empty-netters resulting in the 2 goal differential. Yes, the Capital district weekend was bad (I already mentioned that), but they had an awful non-conference weekend in Minnesota in 09-10 as well. I'm not worried about one weekend - I'm worried about being beat by conference foes that we usually dominate (Canisuis) and being lucky to work out a tie in our Ritter opener (120 minutes and counting without a goal at the Ritter - you can't win if you can't score, and I defy you to tell me you don't have concerns with this forward corps minus Brenner and Favot). Being lucky to score a miracle win against a lesser ECAC foe and getting blasted by a team that skated to a tie with Niagara last night.

Going by results on the ice, this is not one of the 4 best teams in Atlantic Hockey. It might not even be top 6 at this moment. Some of the freshmen have to step up on a game to game basis, because Burt is incredibly inconsistent, and I frankly don't see "go to guy" in either Hartley or Mitchell.

FWIW, you can go back and look to see if I was panicking over last year's start (I wasn't here the year before, so you can't look at that, but I didn't hate where we were then, too). I certainly wasn't. It's the Canisius/Niagara (mostly Canisius) games that I'm most worried about - as well as the reaction to it (read: not good) tonight. They came out and laid an egg after an embarrassing loss to a team that's probably not going to be very good at all this year.
                            You must live in an alternate reality.
                            RIT Tigers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln145QKj2pE - A video I shot of Ricky Walton's penalty shot vs. Canisius 11/2/07. It ended up being the game winner.

2013-14 AHA Pick 'Em Champion!

Comment

K. Care to address my points, or are you just going to make baseless statements like that. I expect steps forward now that they are 3-4 years removed from guys that were recruited to play D-3 graduating. They seem to be taking a step backwards instead.

Comment

This team has the potential to be amazing this year. There is plenty of offensive talent out there, but it's gonna take some time for it to come together. The defense needs to get healthy and that part of their game will work itself out. As for goaltending, there's nothing to complain about there either - at best Mads will be back, at worst we have two goalies that can take care of business.

The Tigers biggest problem is leadership. They need someone to step up and take charge. Someone needs to get them back on track when they're losing focus.
                                They need a DeMike and a Ringwald keeping them hungry. And if someone does it, this team is going to tear the AHA up this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X