X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: >>>>> RIT Tigers 2011-2012 <<<<< Dreaming is Done, Time to ROAR

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
    IF RPI goes to HE, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, the ECACHL does to fill that spot.
    I have to think their first call is going to be to Wayne Wilson. You guys certainly fit better in the ECAC than any other team out there right now that would be likely to have interest (which, given the present state of affairs and recent history, is probably RIT and Holy Cross, end of list).

BTW, take that blog posting about ND and RPI being a done deal with a healthy grain of salt.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

No doubt that rumors are just that. But I think it's been a given that IF RIT were to leave AHA, it would be for the ECACHL.
      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
      2010 Frozen Four participant
      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I think RPI and ND to HE is pretty much a dream scenario for RIT. In many ways, the stage is set for a move to ECACHL, it's just a matter of having an opening available (and hoping those on the other end like the idea of RIT as well). It will be interesting to see how things pan out in the next few days.

And ... can't wait for Saturday.
        -M

Comment

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
          Just an FYI ... This was posted late last night on the Niagara forum (by our resident RIT fan):
          Another related article to your post http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...on_not_the.php

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
            I think RPI and ND to HE is pretty much a dream scenario for RIT. In many ways, the stage is set for a move to ECACHL, it's just a matter of having an opening available (and hoping those on the other end like the idea of RIT as well). It will be interesting to see how things pan out in the next few days.
            ECACHL would be great (assuming RIT keeps growing the program - need to be better to compete there). It would be kind of a shame if it were to happen because RPI is leaving. That's one team I would have especially liked to see be a regular conference opponent for the Tigers (if this move were to actually happen). Not that they couldn't schedule a semi-regular NC thing with them, but being in conference is better for making rivals.
            As much as we still must take the ND/RPI to HE "news" with a grain of salt, we also must remember any move by RIT is totally speculation so far as well. Last I heard, no one has reported anything from or about RIT going anywhere from any official source, just that they've expressed their complete disinterest in moving to any form of the CCHA. And if anyone on here has heard anything, they're really good at keeping a secret.
            Can't we all just get along?
            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
              ECACHL would be great (assuming RIT keeps growing the program - need to be better to compete there). It would be kind of a shame if it were to happen because RPI is leaving. That's one team I would have especially liked to see be a regular conference opponent for the Tigers (if this move were to actually happen). Not that they couldn't schedule a semi-regular NC thing with them, but being in conference is better for making rivals.
              As much as we still must take the ND/RPI to HE "news" with a grain of salt, we also must remember any move by RIT is totally speculation so far as well. Last I heard, no one has reported anything from or about RIT going anywhere from any official source, just that they've expressed their complete disinterest in moving to any form of the CCHA. And if anyone on here has heard anything, they're really good at keeping a secret.
              It wouldn't surprise me if there are some "behind-the-scenes" / "Just-In-Case" / "What-If" inqueries going on. Remember, the DIII to DI move popped up only about a week before the news conference. Looking back at the quality of that last DIII recruiting class, and Guimonds coming, not coming, then coming just in time to sit out the last DIII year, you can't convince me the move was put together in a matter of weeks or even months.
              John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
              AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
              AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
              NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
              NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
              NCAA DII - 1983
              NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

If RPI leaves, it makes the ECAC less appealing to RIT, as that's one less Liberty League member. (For that matter, I'm not sure why RPI would want to leave its LL conference mates to go play with a bunch of D-I state schools.) And would RIT really be the ECAC's first choice for a replacement? Why not Niagara, who's tried to get in before?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                  If RPI leaves, it makes the ECAC less appealing to RIT, as that's one less Liberty League member. (For that matter, I'm not sure why RPI would want to leave its LL conference mates to go play with a bunch of D-I state schools.) And would RIT really be the ECAC's first choice for a replacement? Why not Niagara, who's tried to get in before?
                  Will try to answer these.

First, it's not like RIT is some long-standing member of the Liberty League, so this shouldn't be too much of a concern - plus, there are three others that would still be around.

Second, it's not an easy decision to make for RPI but it's one that would probably, at the very least, get the program some more attention than it can get in the ECAC.

Third, when it comes to the ECAC the academic profile is a big deal for the members, and RIT's academic profile is higher than that of Niagara, that's for sure. It's a relatively compact league for its size, too, so geographic footprint is a little more important, and the only really possible entrant that would be better than RIT on that mark would be Holy Cross.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                    Will try to answer these.

First, it's not like RIT is some long-standing member of the Liberty League, so this shouldn't be too much of a concern - plus, there are three others that would still be around.

Second, it's not an easy decision to make for RPI but it's one that would probably, at the very least, get the program some more attention than it can get in the ECAC.

Third, when it comes to the ECAC the academic profile is a big deal for the members, and RIT's academic profile is higher than that of Niagara, that's for sure. It's a relatively compact league for its size, too, so geographic footprint is a little more important, and the only really possible entrant that would be better than RIT on that mark would be Holy Cross.
                    RIT has also had the opportunity to join the ECAC in prior years. First was when D-II was dissolved the first time at the end of the 1983 season. RIT had the opportunity then to go to D-I and join the ECAC. The second opportunity was at the end of that decade when Union instead made the move.

Red Cloud is on the money on all three points. The Liberty League is nice, but RIT president Bill Destler is on the record about his desire to move all RIT sports to D-I. The Liberty League is a good place for RIT to be until it happens or if it never happens. Secondly, D-I hockey in Hockey East is a much higher profile place for RPI to be and gives the school excellent exposure in larger TV markets. And the academic profile is key for certain.

Liberty League is an excellent D-III league. But it's not on the radar compared to D-I hockey or D-I in general as far as national attention. Can you name the D-II and D-III leagues the other D-I hockey schools who are not all D-I are in? Does anyone much care that CC participates in the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference in basketball, or Duluth in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference in football, or Merrimack in the Northeast-10 in lacrosse?

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                      It wouldn't surprise me if there are some "behind-the-scenes" / "Just-In-Case" / "What-If" inqueries going on.
                      Agreed. My point was just that until someone official makes a statement about RIT's intentions, everything we say on here is pure speculation. I'm sure there are discussions going on. It would be stupid not to have them based on the chaos looming in college hockey right now. It's just that we don't yet know what (or who) is involved in the discussions at this point.
                      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

What if ND goes to HEA and RPI is invited but says "No"?
                        Then what?
                        Does HEA go after Qinnipiac or some other Eastern school (I'm going to leave UConn out of this)? If that happens, then Holy Cross is even more of a better fit geographically to fit in ECACHL. Have they actually expressed any interest in moving, or is the talk of them going as much speculation as the talk of RIT potentially moving?

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                          What if ND goes to HEA and RPI is invited but says "No"?
                          Then what?
                          Does HEA go after Qinnipiac or some other Eastern school (I'm going to leave UConn out of this)? If that happens, then Holy Cross is even more of a better fit geographically to fit in ECACHL. Have they actually expressed any interest in moving, or is the talk of them going as much speculation as the talk of RIT potentially moving?
                          I'd refer you to the current RPI thread (and one of the off-season threads where the topic was first brought up), but I don't want to expose you to the blatant trolling of Hokydad.

Our AD (Col. Knowlton) and coach (Appert) are paying excellent lip service to the ECAC currently and saying that they are happy where they are now. However, my opinion (and it's one that is also held by other posters) is that the same behind-the-scenes conversations are going on, even internally, because Knowlton and Appert are in support of a move to the HEA if RPI is tapped, but the school administration has not been in support of the move in previous years.

If RPI is not tapped (or says no), HEA has indicated that they would much prefer a 12th team. My opinion is that Q's new rink (despite being undersized) indicates significant commitment by the school and would point to them being a good choice. I also agree with you that UConn is not even in the conversation.

And, as a point of who replaces Q if they decide to jump, I would still lay money on RIT. Adding RIT does not stretch the conference's footprint much, and Princeton does not have a convenient travel partner, so it would be a slight pain to have RIT / Cornell and Colgate / Princeton, but it'd be just as much of a pain to have Cornell / Colgate and Princeton / Holy Cross.

Again, just one person's opinions and musings. I certainly don't have the inside scoop on any of this, but I like to think that I can think at least semi-critically.
                          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                            I'd refer you to the current RPI thread (and one of the off-season threads where the topic was first brought up), but I don't want to expose you to the blatant trolling of Hokydad.

Our AD (Col. Knowlton) and coach (Appert) are paying excellent lip service to the ECAC currently and saying that they are happy where they are now. However, my opinion (and it's one that is also held by other posters) is that the same behind-the-scenes conversations are going on, even internally, because Knowlton and Appert are in support of a move to the HEA if RPI is tapped, but the school administration has not been in support of the move in previous years.

If RPI is not tapped (or says no), HEA has indicated that they would much prefer a 12th team. My opinion is that Q's new rink (despite being undersized) indicates significant commitment by the school and would point to them being a good choice. I also agree with you that UConn is not even in the conversation.

And, as a point of who replaces Q if they decide to jump, I would still lay money on RIT. Adding RIT does not stretch the conference's footprint much, and Princeton does not have a convenient travel partner, so it would be a slight pain to have RIT / Cornell and Colgate / Princeton, but it'd be just as much of a pain to have Cornell / Colgate and Princeton / Holy Cross.

Again, just one person's opinions and musings. I certainly don't have the inside scoop on any of this, but I like to think that I can think at least semi-critically.
                            IIRC, and certainly I may not, HC wasn't chosen when UVM left because they were not willing to move their women's program to the ECAC. I don't know how that would play if either RPI or QU were to go to the HEA at this time. Since UND doesn't even have a women's team, HEA may noit be looking to also expand that league.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              IIRC, and certainly I may not, HC wasn't chosen when UVM left because they were not willing to move their women's program to the ECAC. I don't know how that would play if either RPI or QU were to go to the HEA at this time. Since UND doesn't even have a women's team, HEA may noit be looking to also expand that league.
                              You're right. I forgot about the fact that all twelve teams in the ECAC also have women's teams in the ECAC. RIT, with its women's team moving up soon (the ban was repealed, right? why haven't I heard anything about them joining D-I?), would seem to continue to fit that description (Disclaimer: assuming that the RPI / Q women moved over to HEA, too, etc.).

I don't see a whole lot against RIT joining the ECAC. Of course, I'm biased because I grew up in Spencerport, follow RIT closely, and support the Tigers as my second team.
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                                (the ban was repealed, right? why haven't I heard anything about them joining D-I?)
                                I've been trying to figure that out, but my thread on the women's forum was largely (not entirely) ignored. I expected some sort of news, one way or another, but there's been nothing (even with all of the coverage D-I women have been getting on the front page of USCHO the last couple of weeks).

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X