X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech '11-'12 Season Thread I: Hope Springs Eternal

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    It was $2 to park until this year. But seriously, if you're willing to walk 2 blocks it's free. I think the whiners, while more vocal, are irrelevant in increasing sales/revenue/overall support and they'll go away pretty quickly. Winning is everything. I don't even think about responding to these comments.
    Not sure where yous are from but you sound like a bunch of down state rich bugs with pockets full of raha! Very few people up here are loaded so have a little bit of compassion. 30 plus % are earning below poverty level! There are many senior citizens and folks on fixed incomes that can't afford prices like down state or Wisconsin. $5 may not seem like a lot to you but to some up here it is. Supply and demand will take care of the pricing for sure, just dont' beat up on the people if they complain a bit.

I remember going down state to watch Michigan play at Yost; you could go down any night and watch for $5 bucks. Now I understand it is hard to get a ticket and the cheapest is around $25 bucks.

A winning program will obviously bring a bigger buck; unfortunately this may leave some of the locals out.

I'm all for Tech getting whatever they can for parking and tickets; just hope they don't set pricing too high before they establish the fan base. The kool aid tastes good right now but I don't think we are there yet. You're going to need the local fan base to survive. Students and alum will not support the program.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
      Not sure where yous are from but you sound like a bunch of down state rich bugs with pockets full of raha! Very few people up here are loaded so have a little bit of compassion. 30 plus % are earning below poverty level! There are many senior citizens and folks on fixed incomes that can't afford prices like down state or Wisconsin. $5 may not seem like a lot to you but to some up here it is. Supply and demand will take care of the pricing for sure, just dont' beat up on the people if they complain a bit.

I remember going down state to watch Michigan play at Yost; you could go down any night and watch for $5 bucks. Now I understand it is hard to get a ticket and the cheapest is around $25 bucks.

A winning program will obviously bring a bigger buck; unfortunately this may leave some of the locals out.

I'm all for Tech getting whatever they can for parking and tickets; just hope they don't set pricing too high before they establish the fan base. The kool aid tastes good right now but I don't think we are there yet. You're going to need the local fan base to survive. Students and alum will not support the program.
      "I am the 30%" you're referring to... I choose to park two blocks away and walk in free. I'm not going to complain about that, like many people have been as if they have some constitutional right to be provided with dirt cheap entertainment. I'm not going to write a letter to the editor crying my eyes out because I didn't have the 5 bucks to park a little closer.
      And, I'd rather pay $16 for an occasional ticket to an exciting, competitive game than $8 to watch a loser. The prices didn't go up out of spite; it's to make the investment necessary to compete.
      I admit it's aggravating to me to hear people complaining about it; go watch a Finlandia game for 5 bucks! Go watch a high school game for 3 or 4, it's good hockey and you can save on postage with your letter to the editor. Tech is Division 1.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

sorry about the rant, here's my summary: The best way to protest high ticket prices is, don't buy the tickets.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

cry me a river, if you get there before 6pm(I think its around 6, someone correct me if I'm wrong) and stay in the arena until they start collecting tickets, you don't have to pay ANYTHING.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions about the interviews. The ones that I have done so far have not had much movement, those are the ones conducted by randy heienonen.

Thank you for the comment on questions, did not realize I was doing that and will work to get better. Also, if you watched Saturday nights interviews, I interviewed Bill Muckalt.

Keep up the suggestions and comments.

Comment

You know I don't think anyone is making fun of the people around Houghton who are not making a living wage. That's really unfortunate. But you have to understand, Michigan as a whole and by that I'm talking down state Michigan, is dirt cheap compared to the rest of the country. Yet we are having to compete with the rest of the country for coaches, players etc, so we have to pay what the rest of the country pays for entertainment or it has to be subsidized somehow, and that is what the alumni are generally doing. I'm sorry the price is so high for those who find it a burden and I hope a way can be found for those people to attend.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                the THG interviews done by Andy Bourdeau are done using his iphone...not much you can do about that.
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Br...item45fd9ffd2b

I'll donate this and a tripod if you'd like. Doesn't tech have a tripod that could be utilized? These are getting put on YOUTUBE so whether or not they are coming from the University or a private entity, they are representing the University as soon as they take part in the interview. You would think it would be in the Hockey programs best interest to make them as professional as possible. I think a tripod would go a long way; it would seem it would also make it much easier for Andy?? to conduct these interviews if he didn't have to hold a camera the entire time.

Comment

Originally posted by komquat View Post
                  Thank you all for the comments and suggestions about the interviews. The ones that I have done so far have not had much movement, those are the ones conducted by randy heienonen.

Thank you for the comment on questions, did not realize I was doing that and will work to get better. Also, if you watched Saturday nights interviews, I interviewed Bill Muckalt.

Just a question regarding Heinonen and maybe you're not the guy to answer this; if a tech employee is conducting video interviews, why are they not using the appropriate equipment as they (Tech) obviously have it?

Comment

Aha, on your own YouTube channel. I was only looking at the THG channel and Tech's site. So I guess it's Randy who has the "talk about" tic.

So how did all this come about? You asked somebody in the athletic department and they said sure, but only if we can also use the videos on our own site where it's cumbersome to watch them? How did Randy get involved?

Comment

Keep up the good work. My one comment is I like the white background with the Huskies logo for the interviews; if they all took place with this background (with the same zoom and utilizing a tripod) it would provide some consistency to the interviews. Also don't be afraid to introduce yourself and who you're doing this for, before all the interviews, for some publicity for THG.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                        Aha, on your own YouTube channel. I was only looking at the THG channel and Tech's site. So I guess it's Randy who has the "talk about" tic.

So how did all this come about? You asked somebody in the athletic department and they said sure, but only if we can also use the videos on our own site where it's cumbersome to watch them? How did Randy get involved?
                        MTU Hockey is very supportive of the TechHockeyGuide and is providing us with a lot of the video for our use.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                          sorry about the rant, here's my summary: The best way to protest high ticket prices is, don't buy the tickets.
                          I agree with all your points, just don't think the whiners need to be bashed. Most of us whined when gas hit $3 now we're excited when it drops below $3.50. Same will happen with Tech if they create and maintain a winning program.

I would just recommend being cautious until the seats are full every night. 2000 seats at $16 = $32,000. 4000 seats at $8 = $32,000.

2000 nachos at $3 = $6,000, 4000 nachos at $3 = $12,000 (Who knows, maybe the 4000 that got in for $8 bucks also buy a pop for $2 because they got in so cheap; thats another $8,000)

Economically a packed house probably makes the most sense. Set the pricing to pack the house, build the following, then ratchet it up once everyone is on board. Even if you have to give tickets away for a while. (At least you get some nacho revenue and the place will be rocking)

Last year for the ND series I believe it was Econo that was giving away tickets, they were not able to give them all away. (Course based on the results of those 2 games it is understandable)

Comment

I agree with all your points, just don't think the whiners need to be bashed. Most of us whined when gas hit $3 now we're excited when it drops below $3.50. Same will happen with Tech if they create and maintain a winning program.

I would just recommend being cautious until the seats are full every night. 2000 seats at $16 = $32,000. 4000 seats at $8 = $32,000.

2000 nachos at $3 = $6,000, 4000 nachos at $3 = $12,000 (Who knows, maybe the 4000 that got in for $8 bucks also buy a pop for $2 because they got in so cheap; thats another $8,000)

Economically a packed house probably makes the most sense. Set the pricing to pack the house, build the following, then ratchet it up once everyone is on board. Even if you have to give tickets away for a while. (At least you get some nacho revenue and the place will be rocking)

Last year for the ND series I believe it was Econo that was giving away tickets, they were not able to give them all away. (Course based on the results of those 2 games it is understandable)
                            Of course, you're right. I just have a personal problem with people making petty grievances public (as in a letter to the paper). I will not support the "Occupy the SDC" protest movement when it comes to that.

Comment

I have officially realized that the national polls are nothing more than a popularity contest. Tech was "ranked" 21st with a record of 4-0 and was bumped out of the Top-20 by:
                              Two Ivy league schools (Yale and Cornell) who have yet to play a game (Yale actually moved UP in the standings to 9th by not playing?!?)
                              Notre Dame with two losses and a 0.500 winning percentage
                              Miami with two losses and a 0.500 winning percentage
                              Univ of Maine with two losses and a 0.333 winning percentage
                              tUMD with THREE losses and a 0.250 winning percentage

Really? I know we've been down on our luck for the last couple years (decades) but throw these Huskies dogs a bone. I would be nice to get some props for at least a week or two.

Ryan J
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                I have officially realized that the national polls are nothing more than a popularity contest. Tech was "ranked" 21st with a record of 4-0 and was bumped out of the Top-20 by:
                                Two Ivy league schools (Yale and Cornell) who have yet to play a game (Yale actually moved UP in the standings to 9th by not playing?!?)
                                Notre Dame with two losses and a 0.500 winning percentage
                                Miami with two losses and a 0.500 winning percentage
                                Univ of Maine with two losses and a 0.333 winning percentage
                                tUMD with THREE losses and a 0.250 winning percentage

Really? I know we've been down on our luck for the last couple years (decades) but throw these Huskies dogs a bone. I would be nice to get some props for at least a week or two.

Ryan J
                                They keep winning and they'll get there.
                                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                                X