Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCSU National Hockey Center Expansion to Break Ground. FINALLY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCSU National Hockey Center Expansion to Break Ground. FINALLY!

http://finance-commerce.com/2011/09/...-break-ground/

Re: SCSU National Hockey Center Expansion to Break Ground. FINALLY!

...one of the promises made for an invitation to the new conference. It's about dang time!

Comment

It will be a nice upgrade for a building that looks like giant bomb shelter.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Hockey has long been a popular sport at St. Cloud State.

According to the World Collegiate Hockey Association website (www.wcha.com), St. Cloud State was No. 8 in the country among Division I hockey teams last year with an average home attendance of 5,935.
        Wow the WCHA now has a bigger footprint than the NCHC...

Grats to Jan on the upgrade.
        Originally posted by CavalryNate
        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
        sigpic

Comment

Hope someone decides to keep us up to date on progress with pics...

Any announcement on how construction will affect hockey? The original plan was to do most of the work in the offseason to not bother fans during games, right?
          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
          ECAC:
          HEA: UMass
          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

I will be up to a lot of the games and will tag some photos. I think they will only do some clearing and prep the inside of the building this winter. I am guessing the new South entrance will start to rise in the Spring and that part will be ready for the 2012-2013 season. The interior work, new seating arrangement, removal of the old lobby and ticketing area, new office construction, and new suites will go in before the 2013-2014 season. The plan all along has been to have both phases completed before the 2013-2014 season. [Just in time for the start of The NATIONAL Hopefully they can stay on schedule.

For anyone that has not seen it..... Here is a video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ73II0XpCQ
            Last edited by Map Man; 09-24-2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I'm so stoked for this!!!

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                Hope someone decides to keep us up to date on progress with pics...

Any announcement on how construction will affect hockey? The original plan was to do most of the work in the offseason to not bother fans during games, right?
                There was an article this summer in the St. Cloud Times about the construction. If I remember right, it was supposed to start this summer, but the plan review or something like that was delayed due to the state government shutdown. If I remember the article correctly, the first phase is mostly on the exterior of the building. THey wanted it done before the season, but it won't affect the building or the fans who use it, so it will be starting now. The 2nd phase is supposed to start in March, and that will be all the work on the interior. This is just what I remember from the article I read in July.
                Last edited by johnnyredshoes; 09-24-2011, 09:57 PM.
                This is THE State of Hockey. Check your teams roster. I bet there are some Minnesotans on it
                www.***********/johnnyredshoes

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyredshoes View Post
                  There was an article this summer in the St. Cloud Times about the construction. If I remember right, it was supposed to start this summer, but the plan review or something like that was delayed due to the state government shutdown. If I remember the article correctly, the first phase is mostly on the exterior of the building. THey wanted it done before the season, but it won't affect the building or the fans who use it, so it will be starting now. The 2nd phase is supposed to start in March, and that will be all the work on the interior. This is just what I remember from the article I read in July.
                  The State of Minnesota agency reasonable for approving the proposed funding to renovate the NHC took an unreasonably long time (interrupted by the government shutdown) to just recently rule that tax free bonds could not be used as debt obligations in the renovation. So the new financing plan will likely use revenue bonds or similar instruments. It has not been explained to me (or anyone that I am aware of) why it took so long for the State of Minnesota to make this ruling when several months ago the pending construction schedule was known to all interested parties and the potential for last summer's shutdown was looming. I'm not implying there was an intentional delay or similar type of conspiracy. But IMHO, SCSU and the City of St. Cloud has had more than its fair share of delays or aborted developments in the past whenever it involves the state legislature.

A groundbreaking event for this renovation is scheduled to be held at Halenbeck Hall on the SCSU campus at 10:00 AM on Saturday, October 1, 2011. Go to the ceremony and learn more about it.
                  Last edited by Husckey Domi Nation; 09-27-2011, 01:42 PM.

Comment

It's going to be hard to break the ground in Halenbeck. I think there's a basketball court, a swmmming pool, and a running track, but no dirt.
                    Bob is making me concerned
                    I am the voice of reason

Comment

The National Hockey Center joining The National Collegiate Hockey Conference-Coincidence . . .I think not
                      SCSU!

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                        It's going to be hard to break the ground in Halenbeck. I think there's a basketball court, a swmmming pool, and a running track, but no dirt.
                        Kurtz thought it would be a good idea to dig holes in the new basketball floor.

Comment

Well back to the post. It has finally happened ground is broken and construction starts. I looked at the plans, this place is going to be incredible.

The only information I can't find is the hockey seating capacity. They say 8,000 for concerts. Has anyone heard about hockey? I hear because of the seating upgrades and replacements the overall capacity will only be modest.

Arena concourses, store, entrance, new wraparound seating, and suites look great. It is also good to see they are sizing the practice rink to regulation. The team can practice there when prepping to play on a standard rink. Great job SCSU and supporters.

http://www.stcloudstate.edu/nhec/

Comment

Originally posted by Map Man View Post
                            Well back to the post. It has finally happened ground is broken and construction starts. I looked at the plans, this place is going to be incredible.

The only information I can't find is the hockey seating capacity. They say 8,000 for concerts. Has anyone heard about hockey? I hear because of the seating upgrades and replacements the overall capacity will only be modest.

Arena concourses, store, entrance, new wraparound seating, and suites look great. It is also good to see they are sizing the practice rink to regulation. The team can practice there when prepping to play on a standard rink. Great job SCSU and supporters.

http://www.stcloudstate.edu/nhec/
                            I thought I saw 6500 somewhere, so only 500 more than original capacity, but over 1100 more than current capacity. I could be wrong, however.
                            SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                            UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                            Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                            Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                            UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                            UMD Men: 2011

Comment

That looks great.

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X