Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks, 2011-12 Season Thread - The Long Goodbye.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Nanooks, 2011-12 Season Thread - The Long Goodbye.

I'm not so sure we've seen an end to all the realignment upheaval, but I can almost guarantee you that the trashing talking has only just begun. The next couple of years will feature what could be final games against long standing conference foes, and non-conference match-ups against future foes and against the more superior and elite teams. It will be a long goodbye to the CCHA.

But there is no better time than the present to start establishing a pecking order for our new conference. Right now you have eight teams that think they will challenge for the conference championship on a yearly basis. It may be nine or ten when all is said and done.

Every contest these next two years will be important, but wins against BIG10, NCHC, or WCHA teams could be extra gratifying. We get a chance to test ourselves right out of the gate. After our Blue & Gold scrimmage this Saturday and our exhibition against NAIT on Oct 1, the fun begins. We face UNO and Clarkson at the Kendal Classic on Oct 7 & 8, and then St. Cloud and Mercyhurst during the Brice Goal Rush on Oct 14 & 15.

With any luck, our visitors plane rides home will seem longer than our long goodbye.

Go Nooks!

Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2011-12 Season Thread - The Long Goodbye.

Originally posted by mmf View Post
    I can almost guarantee you that the trashing talking has only just begun.
    And it will only get better when Anchorage and Bearflanks are in the same league! xoxox!

P.S.. Did you create this? ----> *****http://board.uscho.com/image.php?u=30357&type=sigpic&dateline=1298794542******

It looks awesome! (It would look better if we had the cup.. but still... very nicely done!!)

Comment

I’m ready to say goodbye to the CCHA. I like the new league we are in. We'll have games against old teams that I have always liked (Ferris, LSSU), games against our rival UAA (that will actually matter now), and games against some new teams (that will be fun to build future rivalries with). Overall, I think we are going to be in a nicely competitive league, that both Alaska school s have a chance at completing for first place in on a regular basis. I’m ready for the Blue and Gold tonight!
      All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

I think the conference will be very competitive. How high a level of competition will be our cross to bear. Not everyone wants to go to a BIG10 school or wear pastel knit polos, so we'll still get our share of skilled players who take pride in carrying the metaphoric lunch pail. It will be up to the league to shut naysayers up or accept their lot in life. No excuses. Train harder, practice harder, play harder. Prove it on the ice. Although realignment is two years out, the same philosophy holds true now.

It's also looking possible that the Nooks may be Notre Dame's first home game in their new rink on Nov. 11th. Many have Notre Dame pre-season #1. Opening ND's rink would be a series on a big stage with big time implications. It really puts the pressure on Western Michigan for Nov.15th, cause ND will be looking for their first victory in their new home.

Ron Meyers was named team captain during last night's kick off banquet. Aaron Gens, Cody Butcher, and Andy Taranto named assistant captains. The Blue/Gold scrimmage is tonight at 7:00 at the Patty Center on campus.

Go Nooks!

Comment

I'm at the age where time seems to speed up - I am sure the two years will go all too fast. However, I agreed with Rms 123 that the new WCHA will be fun conference for UAF and UAA.
          Upper Deck Fan

Comment

Two years is nothing. "Alaska Hockey" has had restraining orders lasting longer than that. A four game Governor's Cup series with conference points on the line will add a much needed spark to the rivalry. Fan bases should increase and home attendance should improve throughout the season, not just at the cup games.

I just hope that if the WCHA goes to nine, ten or twelve teams that we are somehow able to keep our two Alaska tourneys. Not sure that would be possible. Conversely, it would be nice to pick up an invite to a holiday tourney once in awhile, since our four/five week holiday breaks really set us back.

Go Nooks!

Comment

As usual, the Blue & Gold game last night was well attended and entertaining. Got to see a number of the new guys in action. Fairly business like for a pre-season intra-squad scrimmage. Looks like we are going to have a good mix of offense, defense, young and old. The goalies were tested early and made some solid saves, and all three saw action, Thompson for both squads.

Some snaps of last nights game...

Greenham was called on early and didn't disappoint...
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2011-12-Season/Blue-Gold-Game-Sept-2011/i-6P7FT5s/0/L/20110924-100-L.jpg******

Thompson played for the Blue Team the first period and stood tall as well...
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2011-12-Season/Blue-Gold-Game-Sept-2011/i-rbHThnL/0/L/20110924-67-L.jpg******

Filzen scored on this redirection past Cahill to put the "Gold" up 1-0...
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2011-12-Season/Blue-Gold-Game-Sept-2011/i-wRdjLMs/0/L/20110924-174-L.jpg******

Gates stayed focused and put a redirection past Thompson as well, from fellow freshman Kaiser on this series...
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2011-12-Season/Blue-Gold-Game-Sept-2011/i-FhDdvdm/0/L/20110924-281-L.jpg******

Yaremchuk scored on this rebound, his first of two on the night...
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2011-12-Season/Blue-Gold-Game-Sept-2011/i-zqjrHjf/0/L/20110924-303-L.jpg******

Yaremchuk fought through Butcher & Perry to notch his second...
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2011-12-Season/Blue-Gold-Game-Sept-2011/i-CbHNbC2/0/L/20110924-357-L.jpg******

Taranto tried to lead the Blue back to no avail. But he got re-acquainted with the the paint, his bread and butter and home away from home for the next seven months or so.
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2011-12-Season/Blue-Gold-Game-Sept-2011/i-tDWvLhW/0/L/20110924-371-L.jpg******

Comment

mmf hockey pics! It feels like the season has started.

Comment

Originally posted by Rms123 View Post
                  I’m ready to say goodbye to the CCHA.
                  You Guy’s quit quicker that Sarah did.
                  Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                  UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

I see USCHO rates Greenham the number 5 goalie. Good recognition for him and the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                      You Guy’s quit quicker that Sarah did.
                      The frozen caribou eyeballs were deeeee-licious.
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

awesome pictures! Love those unis. I would love to go to school in AK

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                          The frozen caribou eyeballs were deeeee-licious.
                          Wait a minute they where fresh when I gave them to you along with the bbq’d salmon lips which you scarfed up within seconds of receiving them. my friends where dumbfounded watching your table manners but I explained you were from _airbanks and they understood. I told you to put the fresh caribou eyes in a cooler for the ride home, which you didn’t from the sounds of it and they froze while in your possession. Also I want my jars back the next time you venture out of the village and come to town for a shopping spree.
                          Another want a be Joe McGinnis stretching the truth to your benefit, just like that mmf dude.
                          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                            awesome pictures! Love those unis. I would love to go to school in AK
                            The only requirement to attend UA_ is that Daddy's check clears. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                              The only requirement to attend UA_ is that Daddy's check clears. Good Luck
                              Don't be bitter just because UAA requires the extra step of turning in your man-card.

Good luck with NAIT tonight. I understand that a "senior-laden" team has a whole different meaning with NAIT.

Comment

Working...
                              X