Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks, 2011-12 Season Thread - The Long Goodbye.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2011-12 Season Thread - The Long Goodbye.

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Agreed. I am mainly sore because we had to take a moral victory against a team that, quite frankly, had no business coming into our barn and pushing us around for two straight games.
    psst.....We fired Culhane. In fact, you probably saw his last game.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      The situation with Greenham last night also made me happy that Steve Thompson saw some time last week after spending the last season and a half opening the door on the bench. If Greenham were to get hurt, I think it would set the team back if we didn't have a backup with at least some game experience. Hopefully Thompson gets the nod again over the course of this season; it also helps us out for next season, assuming that he becomes the #1 guy after Greenham graduates this year.
      I saw something about Greenham on the scores thread last night, did he get injured? It seems neither of the Alaska teams had good showings this past weekend.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
        psst.....We fired Culhane. In fact, you probably saw his last game.
        Yes, I remember that season fondly.

Although I did point out earlier that this isn't the same WMU squad of yore. I'd say the coaching investment has paid off for the Broncos.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
          I thought WMU controlled play Friday night but the Nooks definitely turned that around Saturday, we just didn't capitalize and score. We had a number of grade A opportunities. The calls against us weren’t that bad, it's just that the same stuff didn't seem to be called against WMU.

WMU only had 19 SOGs, and five of them were on the PPs, where they went 0-8. So the Nooks really kept WMU, a pretty good team, on their heels at full strength.

I'm concerned how banged up and how depleted our bench is this early in the season. And it's not minor stuff. A weekend off or even winter break may not help much, and that's a ways off.

Another gut-check test at OSU this weekend.

Go Nooks!
          I was proud of the 3rd Period comeback last night. I mentioned this on the score thread, but we haven't typically been a comeback team under Ferguson; seems like anything more than a two goal deficit we have a hard time dealing with. Unfortunately, these early season setbacks aren't going to help the rankings come March.

This Ohio State series is intriguing with the Thursday-Friday setup. Hopefully the odd schedule doesn't throw too much of a loop at us, because those are two winnable games, and we could certainly use the points.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
            I saw something about Greenham on the scores thread last night, did he get injured? It seems neither of the Alaska teams had good showings this past weekend.
            I don't think he's hurt (at least nothing has been published to that effect). Ferguson did call out the no-call on that play in the postgame conference, which is not something you normally hear Dallas do. There was some very questionable officiating this weekend, and it went both ways too.

Comment

We certainly are beginning to look like a hard luck team. Need some puck luck to break out of the funk. Keep playing hard boys, the wins will come.

We give up a goal against OSU :38 seconds into the game tonight and get outshot 9-2 in the 1st. We then take control of play and outshoot OSU 34-13 the rest of the game, but give up the tying pp goal about midway through the 3rd in a 2-2 tie. The Nooks outshot OSU 18-4 in the third.

After a rough start the boys sounded like they played fairly well. I understand we only have one healthy reserve player traveling, so I hope we made it though tonight's game without more injuries. Lets get our first CCHA win tomorrow night.

Go Nooks!

Comment

We certainly are beginning to look like a hard luck team. Need some puck luck to break out of the funk. Keep playing hard boys, the wins will come.

We give up a goal against OSU :38 seconds into the game tonight and get outshot 9-2 in the 1st. We then take control of play and outshoot OSU 34-13 the rest of the game, but give up the tying pp goal about midway through the 3rd in a 2-2 tie. The Nooks outshot OSU 18-4 in the third.

After a rough start the boys sounded like they played fairly well. I understand we only have one healthy reserve player traveling, so I hope we made it though tonight's game without more injuries. Lets get our first CCHA win tomorrow night.

Go Nooks!
                The game was 0-0 going into the 3rd period ohio state did score first but alaska scored 2 goals a minute apart to take the lead. Ohio state then tied it with a PPG late. Alaska outplayed the bucks for the last half of the game and deserved to win.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                  The game was 0-0 going into the 3rd period ohio state did score first but alaska scored 2 goals a minute apart to take the lead. Ohio state then tied it with a PPG late. Alaska outplayed the bucks for the last half of the game and deserved to win.
                  What he said. Don't pay attention what I wrote, pay attention to what I meant to say. Gave up early goal in the third, not early in the game. I guess I shouldn't drink and post.

We had a bad first period, controlled play for about two periods, couldn't bury the puck when it counted. Maybe tonight.

Go Nooks!

Comment

We had a bad first period, controlled play for about two periods, couldn't bury the puck when it counted. Maybe tonight.

Go Nooks!
                    Sadly, "Maybe tonight" didn't quite materialize. I didn't watch or listen, but it seemed like a gong show from the beginning.

I hate to put this much pressure on early in the season, but if we don't get between 4 and 6 points against Miami next weekend it's going to be tough to get playoff home ice, let alone anything resembling a bye or that magical land known as the NCAA tournament.

Comment

Good news...GCI will show all UAF hockey games live statewide (tape delayed in Fairbanks) starting this Friday against Miami.

Comment

College Hockey News has a nice article about Kaare Odegard and Shawn Head starting a foundation to benefit the heart center at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital.

Comment

Five games in and dead last in the CCHA. Double you tee eff.

Outshot Miami 30-14 and still can't win. Sad thing is that we controlled most of that game.

Greenham does not look like himself. I'm not a coach by any means, but considering that we don't have much to lose at this point, if I was in charge I'd give Thompson a start tomorrow and see what happens...at the very least it gives Scott some extra rest and time to heal up. He has taken a physical beating from opposing players crashing the net.

Comment

Did the team get out of Fairbanks ahead of the storm?
                            Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
                            My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerAlum@WMU View Post
                              Did the team get out of Fairbanks ahead of the storm?
                              I take for granted you didn’t get your degree in Geography. Alaska is a big state ..........we have boroughs (county’s) larger than the state of Minnesota.
                              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                                I take for granted you didn’t get your degree in Geography. Alaska is a big state ..........we have boroughs (county’s) larger than the state of Minnesota.
                                Be nice, Alaska Hockey, or someone might notice that you didn't get your degree in English. (You meant "counties," I think.} BadgerAlum, the answer is yes. The storm isn't near us, though.
                                Last edited by Wondering; 11-09-2011, 10:04 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Working...
                                X