2011-2012 NCAA Preseason Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011-2012 NCAA Preseason Rankings

After giving some thought to the upcoming season, I came up with these teams as the top 10 teams in the country to start the season. Also, I am putting together a fairly simple college hockey website to supplement the websites that we all know and love. The purpose of the site is not to compete with the "big boys", but rather to give extra reading material to people who love the sport. Part of the website will have our own rankings, and I would like to have a group of 10-12 that votes on this on a weekly basis. If you would be interested in being part of that panel of voters, please respond here, and I will comprise the list. The rankings will be released on the website each Monday, so it will require you to have your rankings done by Monday morning. Anyway, here are my preseason rankings for the upcoming season. Please feel free to post your own rankings, and enjoy!

1. Notre Dame - The Fighting Irish have nearly everyone back from a very successful run to the Frozen Four last season. If they can play to their potential and shrug off any potential conference affiliation distractions, Notre Dame should be one of the top seeds in the NCAA Tournament, and is my pre-season favorite to win it all.

2. Denver - While the Pioneers lost freshmen phenom Sam Brittain over the offseason, Denver should have plenty of firepower on the offensive side to make up for the loss. Another loaded freshman class, combined with seasoned scoring should make the Pioneers a favorite in the WCHA.

3. Miami - The Redhawks are a team with a chip on their shoulder. They have been arguably the best (or at least most consistent) program over the past five seasons, and that should not change this season. Miami figures to be in the running for their first ever National Championship this coming April in Tampa.

4. Colorado College - Nobody thought CC would pound Boston College last season in the NCAA Tournament, but the Tigers will not fly under the radar this season. Led by Hobey Candidate Jaden Schwartz, CC will look to outscore their opponents this season. If Joe Howe can put up a solid season in nets for CC, expect the Tigers to play deep into the post season.

5. Boston University - Last season was not what Jack Parker was hoping for, but this year he has another squad capable of winning it all. The Terriers have depth in scoring, a solid blue line and goaltending, and should be the top team out east.

6. Yale - I did not think that Yale was as good as they were last season, but I was proved wrong as the Bulldogs continued to win games. While they made a disappointing exit against the eventual National Champions, Yale had a great run last year. They should be the class of the ECAC once again, and don't be surprised if the Bulldogs are able to make a run to the Frozen Four this season.

7. Minnesota Duluth - These bulldogs lost quite a bit from last year's National Champions. Given that, Duluth should be rock solid once again as Jack Connolly and JT Brown come back for another campaign. Scott Sandelin will have the Bulldogs ready for another run in the WCHA, and will be chomping at the bit to defend their national title.

8. Michigan - The runner-up from last season, Michigan looks to take home the hardware. Led by Shawn Hunwick, Michigan will need to replace plenty from last season's squad, but if Hunwick can play anything like he did in the NCAA Tournament last season, the Wolverines will be in position to give Red Berenson his third National Title.

9. Boston College - The Eagles were shocked last year in the NCAA Tournament, but reload for another shot at glory. No team has been better over the past decade than BC, and if Jerry York can manage the incoming talent BC will be a team to be reckoned with.

10. Nebraska Omaha - The Mavericks surprised many by coming into the WCHA and nearly winning the league title. While they ran into buzzsaw's in Bemidji and Michigan to end their season, Dean Blais has molded this team into a winner. If UNO can escape injuries to key players, they should be able to make another trip to the NCAA Tournament, and this time win a game.

Honorable Mention:
    Union
    Western Michigan
    North Dakota
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Re: 2011-2012 NCAA Preseason Rankings

Well done sir. The only thing I wonder (seriously) is why you do not have North Dakota in the top 10?

Go CC Tigers!!
    World Arena North (aka Magness Arena on the campus of Denver State University) where the Colorado College Tigers are 17-11-5 all time against the Metro State Pioneers. Thank you Denver Roadrunners for building a second home for CC!!

World Arena North lives on!! Go Tigers!!

CC Tiger fans join us at: http://cctigerhockey.yuku.com

Comment

Originally posted by CCtig View Post
      Well done sir. The only thing I wonder (seriously) is why you do not have North Dakota in the top 10?

Go CC Tigers!!
      While I think North Dakota will be a team to watch at the end of the season, I think the Sioux are too inexperienced offensively to be considered a top 10 team to start the season. Again though, they should mature a bit, and I fully expect another second half surge for North Dakota.
      North Dakota

Comment

ok FS, here's my top 10. please no stones.

1. Denver

2. BU

3. Notre Dame

4. Yale

5. UND

6.BC

7.Miami

8. Michigan

9.UNO

10.Union
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          ok FS, here's my top 10. please no stones.

1. Denver

2. BU

3. Notre Dame

4. Yale

5. UND

6.BC

7.Miami

8. Michigan

9.UNO

10.Union
          I think Union is going to be pretty good this year as well, and should give Yale a run for their money in the ECAC. Were you interested in being on the panel to rank teams each week?
          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            I think Union is going to be pretty good this year as well, and should give Yale a run for their money in the ECAC. Were you interested in being on the panel to rank teams each week?
            sure but get fade or flashy too.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              sure but get fade or flashy too.
              I'll take pretty much anyone, so long as they aren't terribly biased. Ideally, I'd like to get a handful of reps from each of the conferences in order to spread out geographical bias.
              North Dakota

Comment

1. The U
                58. The Sue

Comment

I like it. Hope your effort succeeds.

I am not sure I can believe only two Hockey East teams are in the top 10 (or 13). I know, when you look at any of them individually, it's tough to put them up there. But there will be a third emerge for sure, I think. Maybe not New Hampshire, too many changes. But Merrimack, I think, will still be a top 10-13 team. They lost their best player to the NHL, but they kept their goaltender, and an experienced, solid goaltender is worth everything. I'd at least give them an honorable mention.

Maine is due to break out too. They've got enough offensive firepower left, they're due, if they can settle down. Make them my #14 (or am I on 15?).

Comment

Originally posted by RinkPig View Post
                    1. The U
                    58. The Sue
                    Miami of Florida has a team
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by RinkPig View Post
                      1. The U
                      58. The Sue
                      I'd like to nominate RinkPig for the voting panel. Absolutely 0 bias.

Comment

Originally posted by bbutzin View Post
                        I like it. Hope your effort succeeds.

I am not sure I can believe only two Hockey East teams are in the top 10 (or 13). I know, when you look at any of them individually, it's tough to put them up there. But there will be a third emerge for sure, I think. Maybe not New Hampshire, too many changes. But Merrimack, I think, will still be a top 10-13 team. They lost their best player to the NHL, but they kept their goaltender, and an experienced, solid goaltender is worth everything. I'd at least give them an honorable mention.

Maine is due to break out too. They've got enough offensive firepower left, they're due, if they can settle down. Make them my #14 (or am I on 15?).
                        I guess I haven't bought into the Merrimack hype. The same could be said for Western Michigan, who could be a top-10 team. As for New Hampshire, they always have the potential to be a top team, so I wouldn't be surprised if they wind up there at season's end. Right now though, I think the ten I listed are better, or at least have fewer question marks, than any of these squads.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                          I'd like to nominate RinkPig for the voting panel. Absolutely 0 bias.
                          Absolutely 0 something that's for sure. I dislike how you can ignore a poster, yet when others quote them, one still has to listen to their drivel.

I am still in need of people to be on the panel. I think I'll just post a thread in here each Sunday and have those in the panel post there as opposed to it being more complicated than that. Everyone's help is greatly appreciated.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Most of the posters here are too biased to fairly do a ranking. don't let that stop you, it is always enjoyable to read a well thought out analysis from any one with the bravery to post it on this site.
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                              Most of the posters here are too biased to fairly do a ranking. don't let that stop you, it is always enjoyable to read a well thought out analysis from any one with the bravery to post it on this site.
                              Bingo.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                              X