Irish Hockey: Straight Inta Compton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Hockey: Straight Inta Compton

Well, it's time for the new thread. The title is Mr. JJfP's idea and a nod to N.W.A. Yo!

Season tickets came today. Captain's practices are underway. Life is good.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Re: Irish Hockey: Straight Inta Compton

ND will release info on their future within the next week and a half. Now, if that announcement includes the phrase "due diligence" and doesn't give definitive information, I will scream. Loudly.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

With a little help from the ACC ND will be forced to join the B-14?16? Whatever number. Due to the imminent collapse of the BE.

Comment

Props to Mr. JJfP. Great thread title.
        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
          With a little help from the ACC ND will be forced to join the B-14?16? Whatever number. Due to the imminent collapse of the BE.
          Or the ACC where they fit much better in both athletics and academics? Syracuse, Pitt, BC and Maryland fit Notre Dame far better than schools like Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota and even nearby Indiana. Sure they fit with Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State on the Football field and Northwestern in the classroom but overall they fit better in the ACC. Now if Penn State and Notre Dame would both move to the ACC that would be a great all sports and academic conference.

Comment

The current rumor with the most traction and believability is Notre Dame and Texas to the ACC for all but football (similar to the ND arrangement with the Big East), and both remaining independent in football. I remind you, that is RUMOR, nothing has been said by anyone with any credibility.

As for hockey, I had mentioned to my sister (JJfP) Friday that I thought Notre Dame would either have an announcement before the season began, or they would officially put it off until after the season ended. I am still not convinced the upcoming "news" will be anything other than that, until I hear something other than that.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
              The current rumor with the most traction and believability is Notre Dame and Texas to the ACC for all but football (similar to the ND arrangement with the Big East), and both remaining independent in football. I remind you, that is RUMOR, nothing has been said by anyone with any credibility.
              According to this USA Today article, an official with the ACC mentioned going for eastern schools if it expands to 16.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...ast/50448806/1
              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

I don't know about the rest of the Notre Dame faithful, but I await the Swarbrick statement, and look forward to an end to all of the speculation. Whatever happens, I know two things: We are in for some new experiences, and some of us probably won't be happy about where we end up. I do know one thing, Swarbrick and the rest of the university are about to become rather preoccupied with the football situation, so they better get this one right, since if it doesn't pertain to football, it isn't going to get much (if any) attention real soon.

Comment

He could just announce that they need more time for an announcement.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    He could just announce that they need more time for an announcement.
                    No, no, no...the phrase is "due diligence."

Comment

Real news, and you can even read about it right here at USCHO: Josh Sciba ('07) named interim head coach of the women's team at Niagara. Congrats and good luck to him.

Comment

Here's a nice piece (no...really) on Brett Lebda.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                          Or the ACC where they fit much better in both athletics and academics? Syracuse, Pitt, BC and Maryland fit Notre Dame far better than schools like Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota and even nearby Indiana. Sure they fit with Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State on the Football field and Northwestern in the classroom but overall they fit better in the ACC. Now if Penn State and Notre Dame would both move to the ACC that would be a great all sports and academic conference.
                          ND is all about football and as far as that is concerned the Big Ten is the better fit IMO. Academics in the B10 or ACC are a wash. Hockey? advantage B10. The only advantage the ACC has over the B10 is in basketball and as I stated earlier, football rules ND.

Comment

I cant wait for ND to be in Duluth this season for a solid rematch series. No more floppy pucks are going in this year costello Best of luck the ND program.

Comment

Alright. One week from today we get to see our team in action against the purple and gold Mustangs of Western Ontario. Prior to that, we should be finding out tomorrow who gets to wear what letters for the Irish and when the next self-imposed deadline for the future will be. I'd like to be optimistic and think they will announce that we will be joining the NCHC, that there will be geographic pods (my brother, WANDH, and I have them all worked out) to keep rivalries intact and travel less cumbersome, and the conference tourney will be held in Chicago. I'd like to think they'd want the speculation put to rest so the players and coaching staff can focus on the task at hand. I'd like to be optimistic...

As for the Mustangs of W. Ontario, pay attention to forwards Kevin Baker, Aaron Snow and Keaton Turkiewicz. They are the top scorers from seasons past. Scott Aarssen and Geoff Killing (no, that's not a typo) are a few of their top scoring Dmen. Oddly, they have one former player from Union (Randy Hanagan) and one of their goalies (Josh Unice) reneged on his commitment to BG. It's strange to see a lot of players from this team (and their league, I'm sure) played for the Windsor Spitfires, the London Knights, et al prior to going to college to play. I guess they're taking advantage of those, ahem, great scholarship packages.

They have played just one game, an OT loss. They travel to E. Lansing after their stop here. ND will have had one official practice under their belts before this exhibition game.

One week.

Comment

Working...
                              X