Irish Hockey: Straight Inta Compton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish Hockey: Straight Inta Compton

{click...click...click} "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place..."

DVR'ed the game and have decided it's a keeper. I don't think that game could have been scripted any better as a dedication game. To a player, the team played exceptionally well. Stephen Johns made some outstanding plays and equally tasty hits. Oddly enough, I was questioning whether T.J. Tynan had taken a regular shift as he had been invisible for the first period...then...his invisible ink wore off as he went in on Milner. Anyone else think Shayne Taker does pretty sweet impersonations of a forward? That was a nice goal from the slot off a fantastic feed from Riley Sheahan. But the play of the night goes to Bryan Rust who lives by the adage "Get pucks to the net." I think Milner was so focused on Anders Lee bearing down on him that he took his eye off the puck that Rust sent his way, thus allowing it to trickle in. 1.1 seconds. And the scorekeeper never bothered to change the final score on the scoreboard. At least the record book has it right.

"Home! And this is my room -- and you're all here! And I'm not going to leave here ever, ever again. And -- Oh, Auntie Em -- there's no place like home!"
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
      I'd like to see Nick Larson, Bryan Rust, Jeff Costello and Mike Voran start picking up the pace in their scoring. If this team is going to be great, they can't get there unless more players contribute.
      Oh yeah. Thanks!

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Savage View Post
        That did not suck.
        No it did not!

I worried that the Western game may have been a bit of a trap game for Notre Dame, midweek and Western struggling a little after the hot start, the dedication game against a higher ranked team, all of that. Maybe the one coming in two days will be instead. Lots of hockey played by these guys in a short amount of time. Focus has really been tested over the last couple of weeks and will continue to be in the next few days.

One thing I like is how the team is responding to some in-game adversity. They've come from behind in nearly every win so far, sometimes from multiple goal deficits, and sometimes more than once in games. In today's low scoring environment, that isn't easy. Especially on the road or against teams like BC.

Jackson (and JJfP) touched on it, but secondary scoring -- or whatever you want to call it -- is a sore spot so far this season. Last year, Larson, Costello, and Gerths combined for 30 goals. Right now at the pace they are scoring, the will fail to combine for 5 goals. As the year wears on, that will affect the Irish more and more as teams will be able to figure out all the ways they can to stop one line, or just 3 or 4 guys. If we see some scoring out of more diverse selection of the team, look out.

Comment

Question for the Notre Dame fans, what are some good bars/restaraunts to go to in the area? Making the trip to South Bend in 2 weeks, really excited about it and was just wondering if you guys could give some tips as to what to do and where to go. Obviously checking out Notre Dame stadium, the old rink, and the CF-HOF.

Thanks for the tips, looking forward to my first visit to South Bend
          Arenas Attended
          Matthews Arena
          Agganis Arena
          Tsongas Arena
          Lawler Arena
          Schneider Arena
          Mullins Center
          TD Banknorth Garden
          Conte Forum
          Whittemore Center
          Gutterson Fieldhouse
          Alfond Arena
          Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Madison Oyster Bar and Fiddlers Hearth are a couple of nice places, right next to each other on N. Main Street in South Bend. I highly recommend either. Legends of Notre Dame is right on campus, just south of Notre Dame Stadium. A bit expensive and really stereotypically geared to Notre Dame fans, but it is convenient when visiting the campus. I'm also partial to CJs Pub. Locals seem to be divided about CJs, either love it or think it is a whole lot of nothing. I'm at least 30 years beyond the bar scene, but you might try this site for some ideas.

As for the old rink, it's gone. The building is still there of course, but they thawed out the ice and began taking the place apart shortly after Notre Dame played there for the last time.

Comment

Unless you can go into the stadium, there's not much to see. On campus you must check out the Main Building (aka the Golden Dome), the Basilica and the Grotto (especially at night). Around town you can also check out the Center for History if you like Studebakers and Copshaholm (the Oliver Mansion).

Comment

http://bluwiki.com/go/Back_Room_Alma..._Bend_Pub_Tour

#2 doesn't apply as it's not a football weekend (the tour was put together for out-of-town ND fans coming in for a football game), and I believe #3 has closed, but the rest gives you a pretty good rundown of the decent places to go downtown (if you want a slightly indecent place, consider... is it The Blarney Stone now?... it's a dive bar of many names on the south end of downtown).

There may be a place or two worth visiting in the Eddy St Commons, to the SW of the arena at the corner of Eddy and Edison/Angela.
                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I've made a list and will check it twice. Are any of those places within walking distance of the Doubletree (where most of us will be staying)? The Studebaker exhibit is already on my "must see" list.

More than a few Huskies making the trip from what I hear so see y'all soon.
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Looks like the DoubleTree now is the former Marriott, so... everything downtown is within walking distance of the hotel. Everything ND and Eddy St Commons is within walking distance of the arena.
                    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      Thanks for the tips. I've made a list and will check it twice. Are any of those places within walking distance of the Doubletree (where most of us will be staying)? The Studebaker exhibit is already on my "must see" list.

More than a few Huskies making the trip from what I hear so see y'all soon.
                      Get JJfP to give you a tour of Copshaholm (the Oliver Mansion). Best docent they have!
                      Cindy

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                      Courage to change the things I can,
                      And wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

It seems like we just played Western only a week ago...oh wait...

The venue for tomorrow night's game is about all that's different from last week. Once again, I am going, but Mr. JJfP is not allowed.

WMU and ND are pretty evenly matched except when looking at specific league scoring. Western has 3 players in double digits and they each recorded a point in last week's game here. ND has 4 guys with double digits. In looking at league scoring, 3 of ND's top 4 scorers are in the top 4 in the CCHA in several categories (T.J. Tynan is 1st in points, assists and PP points, Anders Lee is 1st in goals and PPG's and 2nd in PP points and Riley Sheahan is 2nd in assists and 4th in PP points).

I assume Nick Pisellini will start for WMU. He's got a GA of 2.25 and a save % of .909. Mike Johnson likely will get the start for ND. He's got a GA of 2.2 and a save % of .904.

WMU scores 3.08 goals/game while giving up 2.31. Western scores fewer goals as the game wears on even though they take more shots as the game progresses. The 2nd and 3rd periods are their worst D. ND averages 3.38 while giving up 2.38. ND gives up fewer goals as the game wears on and the 2nd and 3rd periods are their best O. Western's PP is working at a 12.3% clip while their PK is more effective, going 84.9%. ND's PP is a pleasant 22.6%, while their PK is a solid 87.2%. WMU is 4-2-0 at home while ND is 3-1-2 on the road.

Abraham Lincoln said, "Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." Here's to some hustle.

Comment

Originally posted by Third Family Member View Post
                          Get JJfP to give you a tour of Copshaholm (the Oliver Mansion). Best docent they have!
                          A decent docent??
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            A decent docent??
                            I fancy myself better than a decent docent.

Comment

For those of you who have Comcast the game is on at 7:05pm EST. I say ND by at least one, but who knows...

*****http://www.ccha.com/assets/ad/Nov_22_ND_at_WMU.jpg******
                              NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Come on Irish, about 7 minutes to go and behind 1 - 2.
                                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Working...
                                X