No announcement yet.

Most school victories in home arena ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most school victories in home arena ??

It's still the off-season, but here's a pre-emptive mea culpa if some of you find this a tad too long :-)

The Lynah Faithful have seen many unforgettable things in the 54 years since the venerable old barn opened in April, 1957, but soon they'll bear witness to something quite possibly unique in the annals of collegiate hockey: the 500th Big Red home victory. I've seen more than a few of them myself, and quite naturally have begun to wonder where this looming accomplishment ranks in the larger world of college hockey. Has any other single school earned more victories in their respective home Arena? I'm hoping fellow USCHO hockey historians can help me out ...

I've snooped around a bit on school-specific Athletic websites, but the information I'm seeking is generally not available there; I'm hoping that interested folks who've read this far may be able to extract some answers from printed yearbooks/media guides that go into greater detail.

The two most obvious candidates for 500+ home victories are Northeastern's Matthews Arena (nee Boston Arena), opened in 1910 and home to the inaugural Husky hockey game in January, 1930 (a 1-2 loss to MIT), and Princeton's Hobey Baker Memorial Arena, dedicated in January, 1923. Matthews has also played host at various times to the three other DivI schools in Greater Boston: to Boston University from 1918 to 1971 (when Walter Brown Arena opened on the BU campus) and Harvard/Boston College when construction of Bright Hockey Center/Conte Forum was underway in nearby Chestnut Hill/Cambridge. Coupled with numerous Beanpot games that were also contested there in the early days of the Tournament (not to mention the 1960 Frozen Four), I'm fairly confident that Matthews Arena holds the record for most *collective* college hockey games played, and, by extension, the most victories.

But I'm looking for the record for a single school in a single venue. Hobey Baker Arena is the next oldest surviving college hockey building, but the Tigers have always played a reduced Ivy League schedule, and - until fairly recently - have never been consistent 20-game winners; I'm doubtful their program has earned 500 victories there despite a 34-year head start on Lynah ...

What other candidates should be considered?

* Clarkson University (nee Clarkson College of Technology) holds the record for most DivI ice hockey victories (1312 and counting); how many of those were earned at Walker Arena from 1938 to 1991 before it was replaced by Cheel Arena?

* The Broadmoor Ice Palace/World Arena in Colorado Springs hosted Colorado College hockey games from 1938 to 1994 (along with the 1948-1957, and 1969 Frozen Fours); how many Tiger victories were recorded there?

* I originally thought that Michigan Tech hockey should be considered, but the Huskies changed buildings - opening the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena in 1972 to replace aging Dee Stadium - in the midst of their '60s/'70s heyday; it's doubtful that either venue tops 300 wins ...

* Williams Arena hosted Gopher hockey for 64 years (1928 to 1992); how many Minnesota victories were earned there before the move across the street to Mariucci Arena?

* Yost Field House at Michigan opened in 1923, but didn't become home to Michigan hockey (as renamed Yost Ice Arena) until 1973; how many Wolverine victories have been earned here? (As an aside, I don't have a copy of 'Blue Ice,' the impressive chronicling of Michigan hockey, so can someone provide some data on Michigan venues/wins pre-Yost when the bulk of their National Championships were won?).

* Harvard's Bright Hockey center is fairly new (1979), but was built (renovated) on the bones of its predecessor - Watson Rink (1956-1978) - in the same location; if we consider Bright/Watson a single Arena, how many Crimson wins were earned there on the banks of the Charles?

* Rensselaer's Houston Fieldhouse (newly relocated from Rhode Island) opened in October, 1949 (on RPI's 125th Anniversary), and hosted its first hockey game in January, 1950; how many Engineer victories have since been earned here over the following 61 largely successful seasons?

* Four other ECACHL venues (along with Lynah) opened within the intervening decade - SLU's Appleton Arena (1951), Ingalls Rink (the 'Yale Whale') in 1958, Colgate's Starr Rink (1959), and Brown's Meehan Auditorium (1961), yet none of these programs has been consistently successful enough to approach 500 home victories ...

Are there any others to consider?

* Boston College's McHugh Forum opened in 1958, and was the home of Eagle hockey (and the 1963 Frozen Four) until 1987 when it was replaced by Conte Forum; I doubt BC hockey topped 300 home wins over that period.

* UNH's lively Snively Arena (opened in 1965) was a rockin' place during its mid-late '70s heyday before being supplanted by the Whittemore Center in 1995, but again - I doubt the Wildcats earned 300 wins there during its lifetime.

* The Denver University Arena (1948-1997) hosted Pioneer hockey (and three Frozen Fours: 1961, 1964 and 1976) over its 49-year history before Magness Arena opened in 1999; did DU top 300 home victories here?

* Artificial ice was installed in North Dakota’s Winter Sports Building in 1953, and was the home of Fighting Sioux [sic] hockey for just 19 years until replaced by 'old' Ralph Englestad Arena in 1972, before itself being supplanted by palatial 'new' Ralph Englestad Arena in 2001. Has UND won 300 home games in any single venue?

Kudos to any/all USCHO regulars who've made it this far! I'll be happy to compile/post a Master List of Arena win totals as they're passed along here, so many thanks in advance to everyone who can contribute to this work-in-progress ...

Re: Most school victories in home arena ??

Bemidji's John Glas fieldhouse has at least 500 wins. (most are d2 and NAIA though)
    http://www.bsubeavers.com/news/default/5/2112-print/

Comment

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for putting this together. Don't have a lot of time to sift thru it right now, but a few good sites too look at for the Minnesota schools would be www.vintageminnesotahockey.com and www.gopherhockeyhistory.com for just the Gophers. There are others out there, but these are the ones I reference the most frequently.

Comment

This will be fun to see how it develops, but I would like to correct a few things.

1. Clarkson is 6th in All-time D-1 wins. The top 5 are: Minnesota (1,618), Michigan (1,532), Boston University (1,406), Boston College (1,403) and North Dakota (1,325)

2. Minnesota didn't play at Williams Arena until 1950. They played at the Hippodrome prior to that.

3. I don't have an exact number, but I would imagine that the old Ralph saw 300+ Sioux victories. That's only 10 wins/season played there. In 10 seasons at the new Ralph, North Dakota has amassed nearly 140 wins in the building.

My best guess would be that Williams Arena saw plenty of wins, along with the Houston Fieldhouse. Princeton and Northeastern do not have all that many wins all-time in their program, but perhaps longevity in the same building will help them out. Denver won a lot of games from '48-'97 so perhaps they would be in contention, but I would start off with Williams Arena and go from there.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

UMD finished with a record of 459-352-51 (44.5 seasons) at the DECC (ALL d-1 games), which the last game was played last Dec. 4th.

They are 5-4-2 All-time in their current home, AMSOIL Arena.
          Go Bulldogs!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
            * Yost Field House at Michigan opened in 1923, but didn't become home to Michigan hockey (as renamed Yost Ice Arena) until 1973; how many Wolverine victories have been earned here? (As an aside, I don't have a copy of 'Blue Ice,' the impressive chronicling of Michigan hockey, so can someone provide some data on Michigan venues/wins pre-Yost when the bulk of their National Championships were won?).
            According to the 3rd UM historical records book, there have been 713 games played at Yost, and 406 were wins, that's through the 2010 season, and NOT last season, and since most of UM's 1500 wins were post '73 when they crossed 600, I would bet most home wins were at Yost. If I find all of last seasons win, UM had 15 home wins last year, bringing the all time wins to 421. Got a ways to go to get 500 at Yost.

UM history here- http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...e/history.html, and the Yost info is at the back of Part 3.

Good thread, and congrats to all teams who have 500 wins on a single home sheet!!!!

Comment

From the RPI Hockey History Page:

"Through the last completed season, the RPI men's hockey team has a 590-330-50 (.634) record playing at the Houston Field House."

http://www.augenblick.org/rpi/h_hfh.html
              RPI Pep Band Ex-Ex-Ex-...-Ex Conductor

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985
              UConn Basketball 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

Comment

Boston University Home Arena Records

In my BU research I usually didn’t find any reference to the ‘home’ and ‘away’ teams during the years that BU, BC and NU all shared Boston Arena, but even including the away games at Boston/Matthews Arena after Walter Brown Arena opened the Terriers have only played 528 games at the arena in total. Here are BU’s records in their three home rinks.

Code:
                Arena                First    Last     GP    W    L   T   .Pct    GF    GA Shutouts
                                     Game     Game                                           F-A
                Boston Arena        1917-18  1970-71  475  306  158  11  0.656  2547  1561  42-17
                Matthews Arena*     1972-73  2010-11   53   33   15   5  0.670   207   161   2-1
                  Totals            1917-18  2010-11  528  339  173  16  0.657  2754  1722  44-18

Walter Brown Arena  1971-72  2004-05  528  363  128  37  0.723  2615  1630  30-6

Agganis Arena       2004-05  2010-11  125   74   34  17  0.660   382   286  16-5

* BU's road record since the opening of Walter Brown Arena
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Princeton at Hobey Baker Rink

If the 1995-96 Princeton media guide is correct and I have counted the games since correctly, then Princeton has played 993 games at Hobey Baker Rink, so the Colgate game this season will be the 1000th game Princeton has played in the historic rink. Also, if media guide and I are both correct Princeton’s all-time record is 472-463-58.

So, how many teams have played, or are close to playing, their 1000th game in their home rink?

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

The website gopherhockeyhistory.com has the info if you feel like going through each season counting the wins, losses, and ties. I started to, but then I figured, "Nah."
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Re: Boston University Home Arena Records

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      In my BU research I usually didn’t find any reference to the ‘home’ and ‘away’ teams during the years that BU, BC and NU all shared Boston Arena, but even including the away games at Boston/Matthews Arena after Walter Brown Arena opened the Terriers have only played 528 games at the arena in total. Here are BU’s records in their three home rinks.

Code:
                      Arena                First    Last     GP    W    L   T   .Pct    GF    GA Shutouts
                                           Game     Game                                           F-A
                      Boston Arena        1917-18  1970-71  475  306  158  11  0.656  2547  1561  42-17
                      Matthews Arena*     1972-73  2010-11   53   33   15   5  0.670   207   161   2-1
                        Totals            1917-18  2010-11  528  339  173  16  0.657  2754  1722  44-18

Walter Brown Arena  1971-72  2004-05  528  363  128  37  0.723  2615  1630  30-6

Agganis Arena       2004-05  2010-11  125   74   34  17  0.660   382   286  16-5

* BU's road record since the opening of Walter Brown Arena
                      sorry if off topic but BU shut out at WBA only 6 times in 30+ years and 528 games

Comment

Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
                        * I originally thought that Michigan Tech hockey should be considered, but the Huskies changed buildings - opening the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena in 1972 to replace aging Dee Stadium - in the midst of their '60s/'70s heyday; it's doubtful that either venue tops 300 wins ...
                        Just counted 336 wins for Tech at MacInnes, not counting exhibition games.

Comment

Using gopherhockeyhistory.com I counted 551 home wins for the Gophers between 1950 and 1993 which doesn't include the 14 home exhibition wins.
                          Originally posted by CavalryNate
                          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                          sigpic

Comment

Using data from the North Dakota hockey media guide (which has the occasional error), by my count UND had 249 wins in the old barn, used for 26 years through the '71-72 season. They had 404 wins in the Winter Sports Center/Ralph Engelstad Arena in 29 seasons, plus one game. In 10 seasons in the current REA they have 143 wins.

FYI, I counted exhibition wins in my totals.

Edit:

To try to be more consistent with totals, excluding exhibitions, especially since the UND media guide sometimes lists exhibition games and sometimes doesn't, I think they are as follows, sans exhibition games:

Old barn: 249 wins in 26 seasons
                            Old REA: 399 wins in 29 seasons
                            New REA: 135 wins in 10 seasons
                            Last edited by SJHovey; 09-16-2011, 11:30 AM.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                              So, how many teams have played, or are close to playing, their 1000th game in their home rink?
                              Originally posted by Timmah! View Post
                              "Through the last completed season, the RPI men's hockey team has a 590-330-50 (.634) record playing at the Houston Field House."
                              According to this, RPI has played 970 games at HFH (I don't know if that includes exhibitions or not...). With a minimum of 16 home games this year (17 if you include exhibition, 19 or 20 if they get a home playoff series) they will play #1000 towards the end of the 2012-2013 season.
                              RPI Engineers
                              1954, 1985 NCAA Champions

New Jersey Devils
                              1995, 2000, 2003 Stanley Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                              X