Cornell
    Sr. Forward

Brianne Jenner
    Cornell
    So. Forward

http://www.ecachockey.com/women/2011...eague_Team.pdf

Comment

Re: DI ECAC Hockey 2011-2012

Decoding the voting system, it appears that (no surprise) Cornell was the unanimous #1 pick of the 11 other coaches since Cornell received 121 points from those 11 coaches. The Cornell coach evidently voted for Q at #1.

Further decoding the voting system, it appears mathematically that at least a majority of the non-H coaches must have rated H at #2 since H needed to receive at least six 10-point cards in order to reach 105 points. Though gratified as a Crimson supporter, I'm a bit surprised. Given the parity in last season's teams, the graduation of six key players and the presence of only one senior on this year's squad, this looks more like a building year. I'd like others' opinions as to why Q, with its outstanding individual players, didn't receive more votes, as well as several of the other top contenders from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
        Decoding the voting system, it appears that (no surprise) Cornell was the unanimous #1 pick of the 11 other coaches since Cornell received 121 points from those 11 coaches. The Cornell coach evidently voted for Q at #1.

Further decoding the voting system, it appears mathematically that at least a majority of the non-H coaches must have rated H at #2 since H needed to receive at least six 10-point cards in order to reach 105 points. Though gratified as a Crimson supporter, I'm a bit surprised. Given the parity in last season's teams, the graduation of six key players and the presence of only one senior on this year's squad, this looks more like a building year. I'd like others' opinions as to why Q, with its outstanding individual players, didn't receive more votes, as well as several of the other top contenders from last year.
        I'm with you. Surprised for the support of Harvard over Quinny. Quinny did not lose anything of significance and is adding a strong class to add some depth. Some of the seniors on the Crimson squad were dominant at times, so shoes hard to fill.

Comment

I'm not sure that I've ever seen a pre-season all conference team filled out by only two schools. Should provide plenty of ammo for the other schools when they go up against Cornell and Q-Pac. Even when Harvard and Dartmouth dominated the ECAC, other schools were represented. Something doesn't add up.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            I'm not sure that I've ever seen a pre-season all conference team filled out by only two schools. Should provide plenty of ammo for the other schools when they go up against Cornell and Q-Pac. Even when Harvard and Dartmouth dominated the ECAC, other schools were represented. Something doesn't add up.
            IMHO pretty hard to argue with each of the six players selected.

Comment

[QUOTE=mattj711;5203830]Preseason Coaches poll is out:
              1) CORNELL (11) 121
              2) HARVARD 105
              3) QUINNIPIAC (1) 93
              4) DARTMOUTH 91
              5) CLARKSON 82
              6) ST. LAWRENCE 70
              7) PRINCETON 68
              8) RENSSELAER 51
              9) COLGATE 41
              10) YALE 36
              11) BROWN 22
              12) UNION 12

Coaches can't vote for their own team.

End of Last season computer rankings of the ECAC were

1) Cornell
              2) Dartmouth
              3) Harvard
              4) Quinnipiac
              5) Princton
              6) St Lawrence
              7) Clarkson
              8) Rensselaer
              9) Colgate
              10) Yale
              11) Brown
              12) Union

So only changes were dropping Dartmouth from 2 to 4 and rearranging 5, 6 and 7. 8 to 12 remain is the same order that they finished last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Stat Man View Post
                So only changes were dropping Dartmouth from 2 to 4 and rearranging 5, 6 and 7. 8 to 12 remain is the same order that they finished last year.
                If you take out the top team and the bottom two teams in the ECAC, there is a lot of parity so the handicapping is not that simple.

Comment

Checking in for the ECAC....let's get this season started!
                  (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post

I would agree that the rankings are more than a little puzzling too versus what I would expect, though that is no different this year than the last couple. It seems to me that the rankings tend to correspond remarkably to the end of season placements. From this, one would have to conclude one of two things: either the coaches really don't care much about their answers and give it very little thought or attention--or they are frightening oblivious to what it really going on amongst their competition and the impact of off season changes on their competitiveness. It's far more comforting to assume the former scenario is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
                      Checking in for the ECAC....let's get this season started!
                      Busy with early season Minor Hockey stuff until Thanksgiving (Canuck Version), but expect the ECAC poll to fire up as soon as that Canadian Turkey has been consumed.

Comment

Regular season starting this week. Time to bump up this thread.

Comment

According to the "live stats" on the ECAC womens' site it is Cornell 6 Bruno 0 at the start of the 3rd, Dartmouth/St. Lawrence no score at the end of 1, Yale and Colgate no score at the end of 1; Harvard and Clarky no score after one period, Princeton l-0 over RPI at start of 3rd.

Comment

The early going after week one has Cornell firing on all cylinders. Three games played and their shot counts were 64 vs Colgate, 65 vs Yale and 49 vs Brown, for a three game total of 178. They scored 24 goals in the process. Wow.

Looks like Harvard, Quinnipiac and Dartmouth out of the gate strongly as well, all of them picking up valuable road points.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                              The early going after week one has Cornell firing on all cylinders. Three games played and their shot counts were 64 vs Colgate, 65 vs Yale and 49 vs Brown, for a three game total of 178. They scored 24 goals in the process. Wow.

Looks like Harvard, Quinnipiac and Dartmouth out of the gate strongly as well, all of them picking up valuable road points.
                              Cornell has another mid-week game Tuesday, this one at home vs Syracuse, then next weekend off. So, they have over a week to prepare for Dartmouth and Harvard without Jenner, Johnston, Fortino and Rougeau -- and theyllbe missing Coach Derraugh as well. Should be a good early season challenge for the Big Red.

Comment

Working...
                              X