Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Bowling Green and/or Western Michigan join the WCHA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Bowling Green and/or Western Michigan join the WCHA?

On August 25, the WCHA extended invitations to Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Alaska-Fairbanks, Bowling Green and Western Michigan, with a 30 day time limit to make a decision. That 30 days expires next weekend. Has anyone heard anything on where they are at in the decision process or which way they may be leaning?
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Re: Will Bowling Green and/or Western Michigan join the WCHA?

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    On August 25, the WCHA extended invitations to Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Alaska-Fairbanks, Bowling Green and Western Michigan, with a 30 day time limit to make a decision. That 30 days expires next weekend. Has anyone heard anything on where they are at in the decision process or which way they may be leaning?
    Only if they have no other choice.....
    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Given the current situation, I would not be surprised if they request an extension to make their decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
        Given the current situation, I would not be surprised if they request an extension to make their decision.
        They need to find out Notre Dame is going to do first. The other thing is, if Bowling Green waits, they could end up left out in the cold.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          They need to find out Notre Dame is going to do first. The other thing is, if Bowling Green waits, they could end up left out in the cold.
          I really wonder what the WCHA will do if they request an extension...tell them, its now or never? give it to them? I mean they offered the invitations so they've washed their hands of the "whats best for hockey" stuff.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

To be honest, I hope the WCHA will say "time is up." I fear they will grant an extension if requested.

Comment

From the Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune dated Sept 7:

http://www.sent-trib.com/bgsu-sports...ision-09-07-11

rather interesting quote from the above piece:

"And the Falcons might have even more new company in the WCHA than some of their Central Collegiate Hockey Association rivals."

Comment

Originally posted by potternmu View Post
                From the Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune dated Sept 7:

http://www.sent-trib.com/bgsu-sports...ision-09-07-11

rather interesting quote from the above piece:

"And the Falcons might have even more new company in the WCHA than some of their Central Collegiate Hockey Association rivals."
                That leads to speculation the WCHA and the CCHA could be talking with four Atlantic Hockey schools - Canisius, Mercyhurst, Niagara and Robert Morris - about joining the WCHA.
                The CCHA and the four Atlantic Hockey schools first met July 26 to discuss future options for both sides.
                Alabama-Huntsville, an independent, also may be involved in the talks. The Chargers were turned down for CCHA membership in 2009.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  That leads to speculation the WCHA and the CCHA could be talking with four Atlantic Hockey schools - Canisius, Mercyhurst, Niagara and Robert Morris - about joining the WCHA.
                  The CCHA and the four Atlantic Hockey schools first met July 26 to discuss future options for both sides.
                  Alabama-Huntsville, an independent, also may be involved in the talks. The Chargers were turned down for CCHA membership in 2009.
                  I would hope it's UAH... if it is the four Atlantic schools, why not keep the CCHA and the autobid?
                  MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                    I would hope it's UAH... if it is the four Atlantic schools, why not keep the CCHA and the autobid?
                    If there is any truth to that thought, I would think it would have to be about UAH. All the talk is that the AHA-4 balked at being in the CCHA with UP or (more likely) Alaska schools due to travel concerns. What would possess them to suddenly consider joining the WCHA with all the Minnesota (except UMD and UMTC, of course), UP, and Alaska schools? I would be shocked if they were to be involved in any discussions with the WCHA.
                    Can't we all just get along?
                    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Wow a 16 team conference with just one out bid. Looks like if MSU-Moorhead jump into the icebox they possibly will not have a conference to join. Unless of course they get an invite some where else.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                        If there is any truth to that thought, I would think it would have to be about UAH. All the talk is that the AHA-4 balked at being in the CCHA with UP or (more likely) Alaska schools due to travel concerns. What would possess them to suddenly consider joining the WCHA with all the Minnesota (except UMD and UMTC, of course), UP, and Alaska schools? I would be shocked if they were to be involved in any discussions with the WCHA.
                        Why? Minnesota is the hockey universe.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                          Seems to me like if the arrangement were seen as a workable one for the involved schools, it would have happened by now. The fact that Ferris and Lake State jumped on the WCHA invite almost immediately, without a second meeting with the AHA-4, suggests to me that they weren't wholly interested in a rebooted CCHA, whether it saves the autobid or not.

Inviting the AHA-4 to a super-sized WCHA, on the other hand, affords the opportunity for members to participate in essentially the same thing, see whether it's stable and produces decent attendance results, and not have to worry about one member folding and torching the whole league. If the "East Division" teams seem to be producing good attendance results and none of its members are going to drop hockey imminently, it'd be simple to calve it off as a new league (especially because it only takes two years with continuity of membership to get an autobid).
                          UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            Really? That does not seem to make sense to me. Are they doing it in the short term to see how things shake out? It would make more sense to have a WCHA and CCHA but it's possible they would be concerned with a team jumping later to NCHC or back to AHA.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                              Really? That does not seem to make sense to me. Are they doing it in the short term to see how things shake out? It would make more sense to have a WCHA and CCHA but it's possible they would be concerned with a team jumping later to NCHC or back to AHA.
                              That was in the article posted...

Comment

Working...
                              X