X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2011 - 12 Recruit Thread

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I agree with both of your statements, although I would take anyone who could score, not necessarily a power forward, especially since Zalewski is coming next season. Not that we couldn't use a second power forward.
    Well we still have 2-3 more forward spots to fill in next years recruit class. Im sure the coaches are hard at work trying to dig up some diamonds in the rough. Just a hunch but I think were gonna see a recruit or two come out of Ontario. Seems strange not following a recruit thats playing in the CCHL or OJHL, we've had quite a few kids come out of those leagues in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
      Well we still have 2-3 more forward spots to fill in next years recruit class. Im sure the coaches are hard at work trying to dig up some diamonds in the rough. Just a hunch but I think were gonna see a recruit or two come out of Ontario. Seems strange not following a recruit thats playing in the CCHL or OJHL, we've had quite a few kids come out of those leagues in recent years.
      I would say one or two, not two or three because we have five leaving and have three committed. The fact that more scholarship funds need to be set aside to goalies also appears to limit how many forwards we can get. Also if Bergin is coming back, the fact that Bradley is coming requires more funds. Summarizing, if we get one more forward who can score and another role player, I would be happy.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I would say one or two, not two or three because we have five leaving and have three committed. The fact that more scholarship funds need to be set aside to goalies also appears to limit how many forwards we can get. Also if Bergin is coming back, the fact that Bradley is coming requires more funds.
        2-3, maybe even 4. We don't have very much depth this year. Obviously there's issue with funding and we may need to poach from the club team.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          2-3, maybe even 4. We don't have very much depth this year.
          We do have 16 forwards with the standard number being 15 over the years. We have depth, just not depth that can put the puck in the net.

One more thing, i suppose that it is possible that Burgdoerfer will not be using his redshirt season.

Edit: Re the club team. Is there any talent there that could contribute more than a warm body? They don't have a sterling record this year.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I would say one or two, not two or three because we have five leaving and have three committed. The fact that more scholarship funds need to be set aside to goalies also appears to limit how many forwards we can get. Also if Bergin is coming back, the fact that Bradley is coming requires more funds. Summarizing, if we get one more forward who can score and another role player, I would be happy.
            I have a feeling this will be Bergins last season and he wont be using his medical redshirt, especially considering he is a draft pick with some pro potential. For a while ive been under the impression that Bradley would be Bergins replacement. Although Id be happy if he did stay, which means we wouldnt have to go out and recruit a 8th Dman.

I forget, how many years does a NHL franchise have to sign a draft pick before that drafted player becomes a "free agent" and can go sign with anyone that offers him a contract?

Also, think theres any chance Bailen signs this summer?

Comment

Also, think theres any chance Bailen signs this summer?
              I don't think so. Like Polacek before him, he's relatively small.

Comment

I forget, how many years does a NHL franchise have to sign a draft pick before that drafted player becomes a "free agent" and can go sign with anyone that offers him a contract?
                I forget too, but I thought that the clock doesn't start to click until the player graduates.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I forget too, but I thought that the clock doesn't start to click until the player graduates.
                  From Wikipedia:

As of 2008, any player who is at least 27 years old or has at least seven years of service as an NHL player, and whose contract has expired, can declare himself an unrestricted free agent. On July 1 of each year the free agency period begins,[5] and unrestricted free agents are free to negotiate and sign contracts with any team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_ag...y_League_usage

Comment

From Wikipedia:

As of 2008, any player who is at least 27 years old or has at least seven years of service as an NHL player, and whose contract has expired, can declare himself an unrestricted free agent. On July 1 of each year the free agency period begins,[5] and unrestricted free agents are free to negotiate and sign contracts with any team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_ag...y_League_usage
                    Bergin doesn't satisfy either of those conditions. I think that this is the relevant part, but it may require a lawyer to decipher http://www.nhlfa.com/CBA/cba_agreement8.asp
                    (b) (i) A player selected who is a bona fide college student at the time of such selection or who becomes a bona fide college student prior to June 1 of the calendar year next following the date of his selection may be retained on the Reserve List of the claiming Club as an "unsigned draft choice" so long as he remains a bona fide college student and thereafter for 180 days plus the period between the end of said 180 days and the next June 1; provided always that such a player may at any time by notice in writing delivered to the claiming Club, with copy to the Central Registry, declare his desire to be tendered a Player Contract with that Club.
                    (ii) Upon receipt of such notice, the claiming Club may tender to the player a Player Contract for a term corresponding to his age as required under Section 9.1(b) commencing at the start of the next regular playing season.
                    (iii) If the claiming Club fails to tender to the claimed player a contract within thirty days of filing of the notice by the claimed player in the Central Registry,
                    the player shall be eligible for selection in the next Entry Draft if he is otherwise eligible in accordance with Section 8.4(a).
                    (iv) For purposes of application of this section, a player playing for his Olympic or National Team shall be deemed to be at college.
                    I think it says that the NHL team has at least 180 days past graduation to sign a player.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Bergin doesn't satisfy either of those conditions. I think that this is the relevant part, but it may require a lawyer to decipher http://www.nhlfa.com/CBA/cba_agreement8.asp I think it says that the NHL team has at least 180 days past graduation to sign a player.
                      No it doesn't, it says until June 1st of the year he is no longer a college student. He is restricted to the specific club so long as he is a college student from June 1st of the year after he was drafted (since the draft always takes place after June 1st) for at least six months. So, between June 1st and November 27th, if he's registered as a college student, which he was at the time, he's stuck with that club until June 1st of the year he is no longer a college student.

So, in essence, he could take graduate courses next year and still be with the Stars.
                      Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 11-29-2011, 12:17 PM.

Comment

No it doesn't, it says until June 1st of the year he is no longer a college student. He is restricted to the specific club so long as he is a college student from June 1st of the year after he was drafted (since the draft always takes place after June 1st) for at least six months. So, between June 1st and November 27th, if he's registered as a college student, which he was at the time, he's stuck with that club until June 1st of the year he is no longer a college student.

So, in essence, he could take graduate courses next year and still be with the Stars.
                        Reading it again, it sounds to me that after he stops being a student (and it doesn't say undergrad as you realize), you add 180 days (about 6 months) and then go forward to the next June 1. So If he graduates in May of whatever year, you add 180 days to get to November and then go forward to the next June 1. It sounds like they basically have his rights for about a year after he leaves RPI.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Reading it again, it sounds to me that after he stops being a student (and it doesn't say undergrad as you realize), you add 180 days (about 6 months) and then go forward to the next June 1. So If he graduates in May of whatever year, you add 180 days to get to November and then go forward to the next June 1. It sounds like they basically have his rights for about a year after he leaves RPI.
                          You're right. Of course, neither of us are lawyers.

Comment

You're right. Of course, neither of us are lawyers.
                            My head always hurts after reading that kind of stuff.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I find Vicodin helpful for that.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

My head hurts if I DON'T read that kind of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X