Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sporting News Article: NHL watches as colleges wage war with Canadian junior hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting News Article: NHL watches as colleges wage war with Canadian junior hockey

Craig Custance of the Sporting News has written an in-depth article on the war for players between U.S. colleges and the CHL and how the NHL is keep tabs on what is going on. A very good read for all. Brian Burke has some interesting quotes.

Link to article
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Re: Sporting News Article: NHL watches as colleges wage war with Canadian junior hock

Also, for anyone who missed Skip Prince's letter, it made for a very good read.

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...from-ushl.html

Comment

Re: Sporting News Article: NHL watches as colleges wage war with Canadian junior hock

Two excellent articles...thanks for posting. It always seemed logical that payments were being made and this confirms it.

For those who missed it, Max Domi who had planned to play for the Indiana Ice and then Michigan, was traded from Kingston of the OHL to London where he signed to play with the Knights.
      Last edited by hobeydog; 09-02-2011, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hobeydog View Post
        Two excellent articles...thanks for posting. It always seemed logical that payments were being made and this confirms it.
        While I think it is of course possible and perhaps even likely that under-the-table payments are being made by some teams in the CHL, I think it is quite a stretch to say that 3 more people with obvious ties to the NCAA leveling vague accusations saying as much is any kind of confirmation. I'm not that more convinced by unnamed players offering the same thing. The SN story was interesting, but I am wishing that if people are going to make these accusations they start putting a little more to the story. If it is true, and they have the proof, threats of libel or slander be dam ned. If that $100,000 check was actually written, show it to me. It shouldn't be that hard.
        Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 09-02-2011, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
          While I think it is of course possible and perhaps even likely that under-the-table payments are being made by some teams in the CHL, I think it is quite a stretch to say that 3 more people with obvious ties to the NCAA leveling vague accusations saying as much is any kind of confirmation. I'm not that more convinced by unnamed players offering the same thing. The SN story was interesting, but I am wishing that if people are going to make these accusations they start putting a little more to the story. If it is true, and they have the proof, threats of libel or slander be dam ned. If that $100,000 check was actually written, show it to me. It shouldn't be that hard.
          What caught my eye was the lack of denial from the CHL's David Branch...

As the CHL has grown, Branch said the league has been deliberate in developing clear-cut policies on allowable benefits for players, which are largely for education and training allowances.

The OHL has hired an enforcement officer to investigate any allegations of impropriety, and the league’s competitive balance depends on a level playing field.

“I believe that 99 percent of the cases, no they are not" being paid under the table, Branch said of the CHL’s elite players. “I would not go as far to say that none have received benefits that exceed our permissible benefits. We are addressing it.”

Comment

Working...
          X