CCHA teams will join WCHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: CCHA teams will join WCHA

Euro, how many people do think will go the WCHA tourney? $5,000 tops? Most of the people in the crowd will be the home teams fans so hotels and stuff won't matter.
    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
      Euro, how many people do think will go the WCHA tourney? $5,000 tops? Most of the people in the crowd will be the home teams fans so hotels and stuff won't matter.
      And how many people can Houghton host?
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
        You forget that its not like there's a lot of us. Next time the Huskies play at Mariucci do an informal poll... stop every one in cardinal and black and ask if they attended SCSU. Throw out the kids with them and I'll bet 90% say they did. St. Cloud's in a community that still supports the Gophers as much or more than the Huskies. Its not like Minnesota, Wisconsin or North Dakota where EVERYBODY around there cheers for the Gophers, Badgers and Sioux. I'm not saying we travel well, but considering the small number of people who claim allegiance to team, we don't travel horribly either.
        SCSU does not have a small fanbase. As someone who is involved in many aspects of the community, I'd say this town is at least 80% SCSU. I can only think of a handful of UMTC fans. Face it, St Cloud is not a great sports town. Even fan support for Tech High, Apollo, Sartell, Sauk Rapids, and Cathedral is weak. However, SCSU hockey fans travel much better than UMD or Mankato fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          And Notre Dame is still waiting for the Pope's decision.
          And of course you know who the Pope is waiting on

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            And of course you know who the Pope is waiting on
            the Pope waits on Parise...

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
              the Pope waits on Parise...
              Oh I thought it might be Gino

Comment

Originally posted by ozzie679 View Post
                SCSU does not have a small fanbase. As someone who is involved in many aspects of the community, I'd say this town is at least 80% SCSU. I can only think of a handful of UMTC fans. Face it, St Cloud is not a great sports town. Even fan support for Tech High, Apollo, Sartell, Sauk Rapids, and Cathedral is weak. However, SCSU hockey fans travel much better than UMD or Mankato fans.
                80% might if questioned who they root for might say "The Huskies" in passing. What percentage could tell you we're in a conference with Colorado College? Hell, I don't think 50% could name the conference, or might not even be able to come up with Wisconsin as a same conference team. But my bigger point wasn't what people say in town, its that those who travel for SCSU games almost ALWAYS went to the school. What % of those in green and black at the Final 5 attended UND?
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

80% might if questioned who they root for might say "The Huskies" in passing. What percentage could tell you we're in a conference with Colorado College? Hell, I don't think 50% could name the conference, or might not even be able to come up with Wisconsin as a same conference team. But my bigger point wasn't what people say in town, its that those who travel for SCSU games almost ALWAYS went to the school. What % of those in green and black at the Final 5 attended UND?
                  I'd agree with that

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    And Notre Dame is still waiting for the Pope's decision.
                    They are waiting on NBC/Versus to decide where they should go.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

You forget that its not like there's a lot of us. Next time the Huskies play at Mariucci do an informal poll... stop every one in cardinal and black and ask if they attended SCSU. Throw out the kids with them and I'll bet 90% say they did. St. Cloud's in a community that still supports the Gophers as much or more than the Huskies. Its not like Minnesota, Wisconsin or North Dakota where EVERYBODY around there cheers for the Gophers, Badgers and Sioux. I'm not saying we travel well, but considering the small number of people who claim allegiance to team, we don't travel horribly either.
                      There is no question there are many residents of North Dakota, Minnesota or Wisconsin who never attended those universities but still choose to cheer for that state's flagship hockey program. I have many friends in that situation. However, it's my experience they don't, as a rule, travel to watch those sports teams play.

SCSU is not alone in college hockey when it comes to fans not "traveling well." In fact it's the rule, not the exception.

Fans of schools like Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan are perceived as traveling well, but that's only because of the gigantic alumni base they each have.

For small schools, UND fans are perceived as traveling as well as any big school, and frankly, as well as anyone in college hockey, primarily because of a couple of unique circumstances.

First, there are a substantial number of alumni in the Twin Cities and Denver areas. UND grads seem to have migrated specifially to these two locales more than any other, and they happen to be the two largest television markets in the WCHA footprint. They are also within very close driving distance from a number of other WCHA teams (Mankato, SCSU, CC).

Second, there have been affirmative steps taken to get UND fans to away games. If no one does anything, and you just depend upon fans, on their own, to make the decision to go, make arrangements, etc..., many fewer fans will make the trip. Al Pearson, from Grand Forks, and the UND Alumni group have both actively lined up tickets, bus/plane transportation and lodging for groups to go to various away games, including Colorado, Maine, etc... Without the efforts of Al and the Alumni group there would be far fewer green, black and white jerseys in the stands for UND away games.

Finally, UND hockey has really been the only game in town for North Dakota sports. We've always had good, small school football, an avid high school basketball following and the like. But for sports on a national level, UND hockey has been it. And candidly, any reason to get out of Grand Forks in the winter, even for a few days, is a good reason.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

You make a somewhat valid point. I speak as a Gopher fan who never attended the UofM.

That being said, I was just giving you guys a hard
                        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Exactly. When a goofer talks smart to me because of my Black and Cardinal sweater, I like to tell them when I graduated from SCSU and then ask them when they graduated from the University of Minnesota? Almost always the response is that they never attended the University of Minnesota or they don't respond at all.

Its also somewhat akin to the same scenario when a goofer tells me that SCSU "stole" its St. C logo from the Montreal Canadians for which my response is . . . "You mean like that gold M you are wearing that was stolen from the University of Michigan or the University of Missouri?"

Comment

Originally posted by Husckey Domi Nation View Post
                            Exactly. When a goofer talks smart to me because of my Black and Cardinal sweater, I like to tell them when I graduated from SCSU and then ask them when they graduated from the University of Minnesota? Almost always the response is that they never attended the University of Minnesota or they don't respond at all.
                            To be fair, it is a lot more difficult to graduate from Minnesota than St Cloud State.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              To be fair, it is a lot more difficult to graduate from Minnesota than St Cloud State.
                              Minnesota is easier to get into though.
                              I know of several people, including myself, who were accepted to Minnesota, but didn't get in to St. Cloud.
                              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Husckey Domi Nation View Post

Its also somewhat akin to the same scenario when a goofer tells me that SCSU "stole" its St. C logo from the Montreal Canadians for which my response is . . . "You mean like that gold M you are wearing that was stolen from the University of Michigan or the University of Missouri?"
                                Poor response. Minnesota, Michigan and Missouri all have different "M"'s. If anything Michigan and Missouri have the closest "M"'s.
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X