Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ECAC Finals in Providence at the "Dunk"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECAC Finals in Providence at the "Dunk"?

First posted on PC thread. It mentions the bidding for the NCAA regionals and the Ice Breaker. Scroll down further and there is mention of bidding for the ECAC finals.

http://www.projo.com/pc/content/Dunk...FeWwVGLA.email

Re: ECAC Finals in Providence at the "Dunk"?

Always thought this was a logical #2 (after Boston), particularly since the city has been majorly upgraded & invested in over the last decade. Since people aren't willing to play 2nd fiddle to Hockey East and have this in Boston, then I like this pick.

Airport /Train Station - Check
    Stuff to do - Check
    Relevance/Proximity to ECAC - Check
    Local School - Check

Comment

Providence would be 1000x better for hosting a regional than Worcester. No offense to Worcester but Providence is an area that is more accessible to people in Boston and has more things to do. The only downside would be for people coming in from NY who would have to now drive past Worcester and take I guess 495 to 95 to get to Providence.

Ice breaker also makes more sense in Providence than in a city without anytime nearby like St. Louis.

Comment

Meh. The league is probably in a panic after last year.

The practical choice is Albany. The romantic choice is Lake Placid. There really aren't any other good choices.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
          Providence would be 1000x better for hosting a regional than Worcester. No offense to Worcester but Providence is an area that is more accessible to people in Boston and has more things to do. The only downside would be for people coming in from NY who would have to now drive past Worcester and take I guess 495 to 95 to get to Providence.

Ice breaker also makes more sense in Providence than in a city without anytime nearby like St. Louis.
          Nah, MA/RI 146 will get you in straight from the pike.

Comment

After the money/contract runs out in AC, the ECAC will be back in LP. Providence would be a close second!
            I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
              After the money/contract runs out in AC, the ECAC will be back in LP. Providence would be a close second!
              IMO, getting the tournament out of Atlantic City starting this season is a good idea. Move it to Providence until the contract ends in 2013 and see how it does. Then in 2014, if the tournament is a bust, bring it back to LP. However, I feel Providence has some potential for hosting a successful championship weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                Airport /Train Station - Check
                Stuff to do - Check
                Relevance/Proximity to ECAC - Check
                Local School - Check
                Jesus Christ, you're making Providence sound like *gasp* ALBANY!
                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I live just outside of Providence, so out of purely selfish reasons I would be thrilled if the ECAC tourney moved there. (even moreso if RPI would finally make it back to the final four...)

To Kepler's point, LP and Albany still make the most sense, but if Providence puts their best foot forward, we might be surprised. The area around the Dunk is filled with brew pubs, bars, and restaurants. Federal hill is right around the corner for italian food, and the Providence Place mall has several worthwhile entertainment options (IMAX theater, Dave & Busters, etc...). Further out, Thayer St up near Brown's campus is well worth a visit.

It's not the most convenient trip for some of the NJ/NY fan bases, but Providence as a city has a lot more to offer fans than Albany.
                  RPI Pep Band Ex-Ex-Ex-...-Ex Conductor

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985
                  UConn Basketball 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                    IMO, getting the tournament out of Atlantic City starting this season is a good idea. Move it to Providence until the contract ends in 2013 and see how it does. Then in 2014, if the tournament is a bust, bring it back to LP. However, I feel Providence has some potential for hosting a successful championship weekend.
                    Since we are dealing with reality here, it is not the ECAC that can leave Atlantic City. Based on their contract, Atlantic City would have to choose not to host.
                    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                      Since we are dealing with reality here, it is not the ECAC that can leave Atlantic City. Based on their contract, Atlantic City would have to choose not to host.
                      We could always pray that Irene helps the process along.....

As much as I like Lake Placid, you have to remember that Plattsburgh State, ORDA, and the NCAA seem to have a deal worked out to periodically host the D-III championships the same weekend as the D-I conference finals. LP is hosting in both 12 and 13, so the earliest the ECAC can try to get back in Herb Brooks will be 2014.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I would love this. I'd go every year, even if Brown wasn't in it.

I made a case in a few old threads for Providence to get the ECAC Championships. I think it would be moderately successful. The building is smaller and nicer (renovated about three years ago) than the TUC, and would be a better setting, IMO.

I agree that it would be best off in LP, but I'd also love to see them give Providence a shot for a couple years. If it doesn't work and the fans aren't coming, then move it. In any event, I would defy anyone to tell me that AC would be a better draw (unless you're a Princeton fan).

Comment

Relevance to ECAC? Maybe the old 18 team ECAC, but not this one. Brown is the only nearby school and aside from the run two years ago, they haven't been relevant in years.

Comment

Providence has indeed rebounded and is a nice city with much to do. It might be a good idea to try the tournament there.
                            Everyone puts Albany down, but within a short distance - a mile - you have the clubs and restaurants on Lark Street and New Scotland Avenue as well as the few spots on Pearl Street near the arena. The lack of a decent downtown hotel is Albany's biggest shortfall as well as the lack of promotion by the city and the league. You can't just open the doors and expect people to flock to the games. You need to promote the event and try to build some league loyaty among the fan base. That doesn't exist any more in the ECAC.
                            Last edited by Jasma; 08-26-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                              The lack of a decent downtown hotel is Albany's biggest shortfall as well as the lack of promotion by the city and the league.
                              No, there's nothing to do in Albany. bothman said so - and we need lace curtain San Franciscans to tell us this, natch.
                              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Working...
                              X