Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ECAC Finals in Providence at the "Dunk"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
    Jesus Christ, you're making Providence sound like *gasp* ALBANY!
    Except that Providence seems to actually want to host the tourney, whereas Albany could have cared less.

Having the host city want you to be there...there's a novel concept!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      No, there's nothing to do in Albany. bothman said so - and we need lace curtain San Franciscans to tell us this, natch.
      The Bay Area rules the world...didn't you get the memo? As a Northeasterner of 33yrs and 3yrs in Bay Area, I highly encourage everyone to visit. It's a great spot.

Seems like I am not alone on Albany having much to offer relative to other locales.

Comment

Re: ECAC Finals in Providence at the "Dunk"?

The ECAC lost $60K the last year in Albany. They made $150K last year in AC. It's all about the money.

Comment

ECAC Championship Attendance

Here are most of the attendance figures for the ECAC Hockey Championships from 1999-2011 except for 2002 and the 2010 semifinals. From 1999-2003 both semifinals had separate attendance figures.

Code:
                  SF1    SF2  Final  Location

1999  6,679  8,000  8,469  Lake Placid
          2000  5,389  4,000  6,790  Lake Placid
          2001  4,490  4,990  6,256  Lake Placid
          2002      5      0      6  Lake Placid
          2003  6,936  6,810  8,296  Albany
          2004  5,641         6,489  Albany
          2005  7,580         8,637  Albany
          2006  6,255	    7,093  Albany
          2007  4,484	    5,565  Albany
          2008  5,074	    4,851  Albany
          2009  3,517	    4,857  Albany
          2010      0	    6,505  Albany
          2011  3,357	    4,126  Atlantic City
          Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
            The Bay Area rules the world...didn't you get the memo? As a Northeasterner of 33yrs and 3yrs in Bay Area, I highly encourage everyone to visit. It's a great spot.
            I was there last week and was less than impressed.

Seems like I am not alone on Albany having much to offer relative to other locales.
            I've said it before, I'll say it again - if you can't find things to do in Albany, you're a boring person.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Do you guys think the ECAC would go with a three city rotation of Albany, Providence and Lake Placid?
              Rinks Visited
              DCU Center
              Tulley Forum
              TD Garden
              Tsongas Arena
              J. Thom Lawler Arena
              Conte Forum
              Whittemore Center
              Agganis Arena
              Verizon Center
              Gutterson Fieldhouse
              Matthews Arena
              Thompson Arena
              Mullins Center
              Alfond Arena
              Schneider Arena
              Magness Arena
              Ingallas Arena
              Hart Center
              Prudential Center
              TD Bank Sports Center
              John A Ryan
              Lynah Rink
              Appleton Arena
              Cheel Arena
              Germain Arena
              XL Center
              Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Originally posted by MCgrad07 View Post
                Do you guys think the ECAC would go with a three city rotation of Albany, Providence and Lake Placid?
                Go easy on this dude, RC. He's already put up a pathetic thread...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Go easy on this dude, RC. He's already put up a pathetic thread...
                  What the heck is the matter with you? There's nothing wrong with asking that question. That's actually a decent idea for a league like the ECAC.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Not even going to say it. I'll get my knuckles slapped with a metal ruler.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      We could always pray that Irene helps the process along.....

As much as I like Lake Placid, you have to remember that Plattsburgh State, ORDA, and the NCAA seem to have a deal worked out to periodically host the D-III championships the same weekend as the D-I conference finals. LP is hosting in both 12 and 13, so the earliest the ECAC can try to get back in Herb Brooks will be 2014.
                      All true. I'm ready to sign up for 2014 right now if ORDA is listening, they could start an "interest" list ...haa
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                        The ECAC lost $60K the last year in Albany. They made $150K last year in AC. It's all about the money.
                        Please provide a source for your numbers...and if you give me a link to an ECAC press release, I will burst out laughting. If the ECAC did indeed "make money" it was only because AC gave it to them.

The league couldn't generate revenue on its own if Hagwell & Co. lives depended on it.
                        Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 08-29-2011, 02:12 PM.
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          The league couldn't generate revenue on its own if Hagwell & Co. lives depended on it.
                          Of the twelve teams in the league, I wonder how many teams actually make money for their respective institutions?
                          Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                            Please provide a source for your numbers...and if you give me a link to an ECAC press release, I will burst out laughting. If the ECAC did indeed "make money" it was only because AC gave it to them.

A heard it from a reliable source and not to sound too conspiratorial I can't say who. And I believe you are correct in that it was essentially a subsidy or guaranty type of payment that led to a positive bottom line.
                            Last edited by Wholin1; 08-29-2011, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                              Of the twelve teams in the league, I wonder how many teams actually make money for their respective institutions?
                              Not Brown.

Comment

I have no actual data or inside information, but some comments that Schafer has made in the past with regard to pressure from the AD to schedule home games, etc, have led me to believe that even Cornell hockey only approximately breaks even. If that is the case, what chance do most other ECAC schools have to break even? The only others I would think might even get close would be Yale, RPI, and Clarkson, but the last two have the added expense of 18 scholarships to support, also.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X