Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College Pioneers 2011-2012

Originally posted by Bennycheck View Post
    I say woo Morrisville. Perfect fit and would create a great rivalry for UC fans. You can forget about Hamilton. Not going to happen.
    I've questioned why Utica doesn't play Morrisville since day one of the program. In the interest of Travel costs and playing a non-conference team nearby that could create a great rivalry, why wouldn't you play Morrisville?

Now that the Ponies are realitivly good, the time is now for Utica to play them.
    Utica College Hockey. Best fan base in D-III. Fear the Moose.
    Utica College 2004-2005 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
    Utica College 2012-2013 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
    2012-2013 ECAC West PICK'EM CHAMPION
    2012-2013 SUNYAC 1st runner up to the Pick'EM CHAMPION

Comment

Has anyone ever watched a game via the FastHockey feed on Neumann's official hockey page? I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow if I have sufficient reason to believe that it works decently...

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Has anyone ever watched a game via the FastHockey feed on Neumann's official hockey page? I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow if I have sufficient reason to believe that it works decently...
        I hope it's better than the feed we watched a couple of years ago from Utica, the two "Kids" who did that game were pathetic, scrum breaks out around the Elmira net and they stop to watch it and leave the camera pointed at the opposite end of the ice......never again.
        Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
        Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
        Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

The feed cost $7.99, and I suppose it was worth it, weighed against the cost and time involved driving to Philly to see the game in person...

The resolution was so-so, the camera a bit jiggly, and the video cut out for the last minute of the game. The audio stayed up, though, but that was a mixed blessing. (The two commentators -though they seemed like nice enough guys- knew absolutely nothing about hockey and mumbled their way through a truly laughable broadcast.)

The game was very evenly-played. Neumann's stifling backcheck was the difference, IMO. Smith was very good to excellent in net, but UC had trouble cuing the puck up in the NC zone, what with the relentless pressure they were facing. The winning goal came directly as a result of an egregious same-zone turnover. (I wasn't able to identify the culprit.)

Looks like the W is going to be a jungle again. Of the four conference teams I've seen, Elmira looks to be the strongest and most talented, but there's a lot of apparent parity... Utica is going to have to bring it every single night, in-conference, and I'm looking forward to seeing that happen. (Love those W games; each team seems to sincerely hate the other.)

Comment

The winning goal came directly as a result of an egregious same-zone turnover. (I wasn't able to identify the culprit.)

The Goalie swatted it to his left, then the D Man (#18) gave it up to Nuemann.

Comment

The feed cost $7.99, and I suppose it was worth it, weighed against the cost and time involved driving to Philly to see the game in person...

The resolution was so-so, the camera a bit jiggly, and the video cut out for the last minute of the game. The audio stayed up, though, but that was a mixed blessing. (The two commentators -though they seemed like nice enough guys- knew absolutely nothing about hockey and mumbled their way through a truly laughable broadcast.)

The game was very evenly-played. Neumann's stifling backcheck was the difference, IMO. Smith was very good to excellent in net, but UC had trouble cuing the puck up in the NC zone, what with the relentless pressure they were facing. The winning goal came directly as a result of an egregious same-zone turnover. (I wasn't able to identify the culprit.)

Looks like the W is going to be a jungle again. Of the four conference teams I've seen, Elmira looks to be the strongest and most talented, but there's a lot of apparent parity... Utica is going to have to bring it every single night, in-conference, and I'm looking forward to seeing that happen. (Love those W games; each team seems to sincerely hate the other.)

bad commentating?
              Sounds like a job for this guy.

the other thing that buried us, and it has a tendency to happen time and time again, the powerplay. We cannot keep going 0-fer against a team that leads the nation in penalty minute average. the extra men conventionally have been served up on a silver platter by neumann. we're like converting at 10 percent against these boys in our last 10 opps. The last time utica beat neumann, utica was 6 of 7. And that was that terrible 09-10 team.

Defensively, not a bad game at all for the boys, but the powerplay seems to be mission:impossible in recent years.
              Our bite is worse than our bark....
              Top guys, out.

Comment

Not to quibble, but the PP has looked pretty good at home this year, aside from the Elmira game. Neumann just has good wheels and good hands, and that took away UC's time and space. (And, as you point out, the Knights have plenty of experience killing penalties, though they didn't look as chippy as usual on Saturday.)

The W is going to be a war waged on many fronts this year, I think. I'm guessing that there will be no more than 4-5 points separating 1st from last when the RS is over. (And lots of sore bodies.)

Comment

Looks as though the NCHA may have returned to the '90's with it's ECACW-esque log jam in the standings as well...

4 of the 7 current NCHA teams have won national championships in the last 20 years. Eau Claire (one of the three schools without a NC) did however produce one of the most productive NHL'ers to ever emerge from the D3 ranks in Alex Hicks. The only D3 player I can think of who had as big of an impact at the NHL level would probably be former Hamilton goaltender Guy Hebert.
                  Last edited by altazo; 11-21-2011, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                    Looks as though the NCHA may have returned to the '90's with it's ECACW-esque log jam in the standings as well...

4 of the 7 current NCHA teams have won national championships in the last 20 years. Eau Claire (one of the three schools without a NC) did however produce one of the most productive NHL'ers to ever emerge from the D3 ranks in Alex Hicks. The only D3 player I can think of who had as big of an impact at the NHL level would probably be former Hamilton goaltender Guy Hebert.
                    I scored on Herbert in double OT in the ECAC semi-finals, if I could do that he is/was a sieve

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                      I scored on Herbert in double OT in the ECAC semi-finals, if I could do that he is/was a sieve
                      "Herbert" had a pretty decent stint in the NHL after your heroics, too...At that time, I'm fairly sure that he was the one D-3 player who had ever enjoyed more than a quick cup of coffee at the NHL level.

Not that The League is replete with D-3 guys even now, but he was a real novelty when he came up from Hamilton... The NHL announcers on any given night couldn't get over talking about his humble beginnings, and that patter continued seemingly non-stop for his entire career.

I don't remember him being around for very long, but he was the real deal for a while, no doubt.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-23-2011, 02:09 AM.

Comment

I'm wondering how many that gave you for a career total.
                        Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Woodshed View Post
                          I'm wondering how many that gave you for a career total.
                          I think that was 5 maybe

Comment

Looking ahead a bit, The Cardinal Classic in Plattsburgh at New Year's is on my to-do list, weather permitting. Never been there- that's reason enough to go -but the field looks pretty decent, too, with Castleton and UC invited. (Don't know much about Babson.)

Platty is a tough ticket when the students are there. I wonder if the holiday tournaments draw near-sellouts, too..?

If any of you have been there for an overnight and a game, I'm all ears as to advice regarding every aspect of the process, including lodging and eats.

Thanks!
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-24-2011, 01:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              Looking ahead a bit, The Cardinal Classic in Plattsburgh at New Year's is on my to-do list, weather permitting. Never been there- that's reason enough to go -but the field looks pretty decent, too, with Castleton and UC invited. (Don't know much about Babson.)

Platty is a tough ticket when the students are there. I wonder if the holiday tournaments draw near-sellouts, too..?

If any of you have been there for an overnight and a game, I'm all ears as to advice regarding every aspect of the process, including lodging and eats.

Thanks!
                              Babson is a notoriously slow starting team. Last year they gave Norwich everything they could handle twice in the second half of the season despite being a below .500 team.

Right now their record isn't great but I would certainly expect babson to give teams at the cardinal classic fits if they overlook them.

They return most of their studs from last year and their goalie is capable of stealing a game any night.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

If any of you have been there for an overnight and a game, I'm all ears as to advice regarding every aspect of the process, including lodging and eats.Thanks!
                                Plenty of hotels within a mile of the Stafford, including the Comfort Inn!

Many Restaurants including newer ones like Texas Roadhouse and UNO!

Very few students at this time. Most are on break.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Working...
                                X