PDA

View Full Version : Adrian 2011-12: The Next Generation

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

NorthernLite
08-22-2011, 11:05 AM
As students begin to arrive on campus, a lot of the new faces adjusting to the college life at Adrian will be hockey players. I’m sure they’re aware the brief history of the program fashioned by the large original cast of characters that thrilled the fans those first fours years.

This new group will have a big advantage having possibly ten experienced teammates who know their way around the conference and who have had a taste of a championship game in NCAA Tournament play.

Included in this group of returning players is shifty veteran defenseman Chris Stansik who scored the Bulldog’s first ever goal in that first game. He went on to lead the nation in points for a defensemen his junior year before injury prevented him from participating with his friends in the Class of 2011.

On the offensive side Zach Graham, Jordan Watts, Andrew Dovey and Josh Cousineau to name a few, will be expected to lead the team with Courtney and Gallinger defending the d-zone. Welcome back boys!

I haven’t seen any of the new recruits play and can only surmise from their respective stats that they are gifted offensively. None of these new guys appear have imposing or intimidating size, but they must be a spirited bunch as they seem to have a spent a fair share of their time in the sin bin. I’m guessing these recruits will be very fast and very feisty. Welcome boys.

Have a great year !

Hammer
08-22-2011, 11:07 AM
:)

NorthernLite
08-22-2011, 01:40 PM
:)

If I were you, I'd try to drop in to catch some of the intersquad scrimmages leading up to the schedule.
It should be very entertaining. ;)

Hammer
08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Oh, yes. I plan on doing so.

AVFC
08-23-2011, 12:01 PM
I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that Adrian will be very good again this year. It will be interesting to see how the goaltending works itself out.

NorthernLite
08-24-2011, 09:46 AM
I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that Adrian will be very good again this year. It will be interesting to see how the goaltending works itself out.

I'd be surprised if they aren't pre-season favourites to lead the MCHA. We'll certainly need to keep a program handy until we can put names to all the new numbers.
Agree with you on goaltending......considering they were never able to find a reliable backup to Fogal.

ACBulldog
08-24-2011, 11:39 AM
If I were you, I'd try to drop in to catch some of the intersquad scrimmages leading up to the schedule.
It should be very entertaining. ;)
Have any idea when that is happening?

NorthernLite
08-24-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm sure if you called the hockey office they'd let you know when their practice icetime is.

The Black & Yellow Intersquad exhibition game is scheduled for Saturday October15th at 7PM.

AVFC
08-24-2011, 01:49 PM
I'd be surprised if they aren't pre-season favourites to lead the MCHA. We'll certainly need to keep a program handy until we can put names to all the new numbers.
Agree with you on goaltending......considering they were never able to find a reliable backup to Fogal.

I think they will be the pre-season favorite as well. Even if they are "younger" they still have a good psychological edge. If you haven't beaten Adrian, you haven't beaten Adrian. I doubt, however, they will run roughshod over the league. Games will be closer. The MCHA is just much better than it was four years ago.

I don't know how the goaltending will look, but I am of the opinion that goalies can adjust to a quicker pace of play faster than skaters can.

GoBullDogsGo
08-25-2011, 10:11 PM
My sources tell me that this season's team should be faster overall than last season's team. Fogarty wanted to rebuild with speed this time around. I think they will be a very talented team and until someone can knock them off the mountain, they will still be the Champs.

Toe Blake's Brother
08-26-2011, 04:46 PM
My sources tell me that this season's team should be faster overall than last season's team. Fogarty wanted to rebuild with speed this time around. I think they will be a very talented team and until someone can knock them off the mountain, they will still be the Champs.....of the MCHA.

Hammer
08-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Ummm....that's kinda what we've been talking about the past few posts.

NorthernLite
10-05-2011, 03:42 PM
2011-12 Player Roster is up ....along with the season preview.

http://www.adrianbulldogs.com/sports/m-hockey/2011-12/releases/20111005dd34e2

altazo
10-05-2011, 07:43 PM
2011-12 Player Roster is up ....along with the season preview.

http://www.adrianbulldogs.com/sports/m-hockey/2011-12/releases/20111005dd34e2

Great write up.

Does anyone else wish teams would hold off on announcing their rosters until after 10/15? I know most all coaches know pretty much exactly what their roster is gonna look like once school starts, but I also like the idea of the occasional un-recruited player earning a spot on a roster once the coaches see them on the ice (which in D3 doesn't happen until 10/15.) I'm not directing this only at Adrian, and I imagine their roster may indeed look a little different once the season begins (I would think they'll at least be adding a third goaltender.) Maybe I'm just old fashioned...

seaturtle
10-22-2011, 06:59 PM
WOW!! Exciting game today...NICE WIN BULLDOGS!!!

LaPuck
10-22-2011, 09:38 PM
A nice win on the road against SUNY Geneseo tonight to begin the hockey season for Adrian.
Another 4-year run by the Bulldogs?!!!

bigmrg74
10-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Adrian Hockey. Reloading, not Rebuilding!! :D

NorthernLite
10-23-2011, 11:07 AM
I have been really anxious to see this very different Adrian line-up start the season, and had planned on being in the crowd for the Geneseo game. My plans had to change. So like many others, I watched the action on my computer.

It’s the first time I’ve watched a hockey game without play-by-play commentary. The crowd noise thankfully provided a great gauge for what was happening on the ice. My video feed had the hiccups, and was flashing in 4-7 second delayed frozen frames across my monitor. To be honest, I welcomed the strobe effect each time Geneseo had possession in our zone, as relief quickly followed 4 frames later with Adrian attacking at the other end of the rink.

The roller-coaster ride was incredible, and then comes a penalty call against with the game tied at 5-5 very late in the 3rd. With overtime looming I lose the feed and the crowd noise. Every effort I made to get re-connected failed. As I was clicking the mouse madly, the phone rings and it’s my grandson. “Papa. Did you see that? We won!”

Now that I’ve had a chance to celebrate and reflect on the game, what sort team we have, and what we have to look forward to, here’s what I’m thinking.

- Part of the test, that a good team has to pass, is to be able come from behind and win a close one. This new bunch of Bulldogs has accomplished this in its first game, and can draw from this victory, to build confidence and their own winning formula.
- Veterans Lead! Seventeen seniors graduated last year however the tradition and leadership continues, with none more evident than the contributions on and off the ice of co-captains Andrew Dovey, and Chris Stansik.
- Balance: Six goals were scored and from five different players and thirteen players contributed on the score sheet.
- Newcomers: Congrats to Duston Hebebrand and Justin Basso on their first collegiate goals. Congrats to Scott Shackell for his 933 SV% and his 1st career win. Five other newcomers earned their first collegiate point for the Bulldogs.

We are off to a great start on the road against 12th ranked Geneseo.
This group has a long way to go but they have taken a big step early in defining themselves. The future of Adrian Bulldog hockey looks very bright.

ACBulldog
10-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Good win for the Bulldogs, wasnt able to watch due to work, but from what I heard it was a roller coaster of a game. Congrats to those with their first collegiate points, and to the upper classman for leading by example. Can't wait to see what the season will bring and for the home opener next weekend. And NothernLite stated it best "the future of Adrian Bulldog hockey looks very bright."

Transplanted Tiger Fan
10-24-2011, 06:44 PM
bigmrg74 – You ain’t kidding! Reloading is certainly the proper description for this team. Adrian played very well, and the scary part is – this team has a whole year to gel and improve. In a word – “Yikes”.

As a “neutral fan”, this game was truly a pleasure to watch. From where we were sitting, there were plenty of highlight-reel plays, especially around the goal... many spectacular saves, and just as many missed opportunities. Geneseo seemed to control play for the first half of the game, but then something “clicked”, and the ice tipped the other way. Geneseo did not fall apart... Adrian just took it up a few notches.

We sat amongst the Adrian faithful, with a smattering of Geneseo fans (all good). Met the family of one of the Adrian players and let me tell you, without question these folks are some of the classiest hockey fans I have ever met. Applauding not only during the Adrian intros, but also for the Geneseo player intros. Made me re-evaluate my own actions, despite my proven belief that being a ‘classless’ hockey fan is a very effective stress-release mechanism (when done properly, of course). :)

You were missed, NorthernLite! Nice write-up, btw. I’d hate to pin-point any one player, but to add to your list of honorable mentions, there was one that seem to “fly under the radar” almost all game, and in the final minutes forced me to utter the words “Who the hell was that!??!?” Come to find-out by looking at the box score, he finished the day at +4... and I just never noticed him. That Ranalli boy has skills, man!! An extremely valuable player, and one to watch for sure. The Adrian hockey future is very bright, indeed.