This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oswego State Hockey 2011-2012 Season

It may be early but I was getting tired of the other thread.

Re: Oswego State Hockey 2011-2012 Season

Man I bet people are going to be disappointed with this thread title too.

Comment

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
      Simple, to the point and no hidden phrases, what's the problem with that?

Comment

Originally posted by mdmadison View Post
        Nothing fancy,lets keep it simple like on the ice, hopefully.........Good luck to all the Lakers and Laker fans.....

Comment

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
          I'm pleased with upgrade in the title. The previous one made me think of RIT.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

ok well anyone have any more info than the newspaper article on the BIG GUY Smrke 6'6" and Berry who looks to be a top notch snipppper??? Also what happened to Popek who was on the Oz recruit list?? Will be have a goalie battle this yr?? I know Bech was a all-american but who knows???? Just stirring it up

Comment

Originally posted by mdmadison View Post
              Absolutely nothing, I was referencing the last thread title that all the drop-ins (people who start posting around February and stop after the team is eliminated) that couldn't stand the thread title and kept on saying they would have named it something better (corny).

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                I'm pleased with upgrade in the title. The previous one made me think of RIT.
                That whole thread had a bad feel to it. I'll admit my title was poorly received and it started the constant veering off topic.

...Anyways, there's a very good chance I will not see one game in person this year. Which is very disappointing.

Comment

Thread title idea: Transferring the greatness
                  Twitter: DanMountSports
                  2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Concurred with your assessment, chcky2 - I personally couldn't get that bitter taste out of my mouth after Minneapolis, and it was impossible to return to the same thread afterward. Not that all that many regular Laker alum hockey addicts (without connections) can say much during this off season...gesh, its been a long time... *Yawn*

Btw, bakdraft: twas a pleasure to meet you in Minneapolis, and my apologies that we didn't meet again. I was the beneficiary of an all-expenses-paid junket, and had to hustle stuff around the scheduled games in repayment as a result.

Thread title idea, seeing as Oswego's about to get clobbered with the summer variety - Thundersnow Express 2012 to Placid. It seems like such a unnatural phenomenon to any weather nut NOT from Oz. As much as I admired MN, the simplicity and atmosphere of Placid is something I deeply enjoyed. It just seems ironic to remember seeing Van Boxmeer start on the team at the same point I started class at Oz, and now he's coming to the wire as a senior. If our transfers get to the task and gel even just marginally better than last year - heck, lets go again. I want to see HVB lift some hardware!

57 days to Elmira, and counting. Hockey is on the way.
                    "To all those graduating with a heart that will forever beat for hockey at a certain place on Lake Ontario...
                    this is for you."
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Screw rebuilding - we RELOAD here!

Comment

Really the only transfers they have left are Carr, Boots and Hare. The only one that seemed to have trouble gelling was Boots. He is a strange case in that he is so skilled and creative it is tough to find people to play with him. He is the setup man (but he can also finish) so you need a sniper and a guy that is quick to lose pucks on a line with him to be really effective. Titanic and Mather fit well on a line with him down the stretch so they could be the go to line this year, Mather has shown he can be the sniper and Titanic has as well plus he is quick to the loose change.

Whitelaw, Rodrigues and Moodie also should continue to produce and hopefully at a bit better clip this season. Leimbrock was my biggest disappointment last year and I hope he picks it up a bit this season. I would like to see him on a line with Singleton and Smrke, that would probably be the biggest line in D3. They have so many potential weapons returning offensively if even just a few of them produce they will be fine there. Brown, Ayotte, and Muise have the potential to really make some noise if given the chance. Of Course the new guys have some decent credentials also and Badham and Domenico bring a real physical side to the lineup that is nice to have.

The questions are defense and goal tending. They lost their two defensive leaders but they still have their, in my opinion, steadiest d-pair in Hank and Anderson. Gilchrist played a very solid 25 games as a freshman and then played only 6 last year so I am looking for a bounce back year from him. I am not totally sold on Carr and Farris and McConney are fair but they are neither shutdown d-men or offensive guys. I know nothing at all about the new guys other than the stats so I can't even begin to guess where they fit into things. Last season the goal tending was superb for half the year then it fell apart, after Beckwith came back he was no where near the same and some of the softies he let in were very deflating. Of course the best game he had in the second half was against Freddy in the playoffs and the team let him down offensively. Hare and Jones had some decent outings with Paulie out of the lineup but I really didn't see anything that showed me they can hold off the really talented teams like Plattsburgh and Elmira. If the goalies are mediocre the defense really has to step up and clamp down or they will be in trouble.

Last year it was too easy for teams to bog them down in the neutral zone so they couldn't get their speed up and make plays. They also failed to really create a lot off turnovers which was their bread and butter the year before. If they can get the fore check going, and simplify the power play they should be right in the thick of it again, if not they might be ripe for the pickings.
                      Last edited by Laker28; 08-25-2011, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker28 View Post
                        Really the only transfers they have left are Carr, Boots and Hare.
                        Laker28, you know how people on the board are. They can't let facts get in the way of a good running gag.
                        Twitter: DanMountSports
                        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Ranger View Post
                          Concurred with your assessment, chcky2 - I personally couldn't get that bitter taste out of my mouth after Minneapolis, and it was impossible to return to the same thread afterward. Not that all that many regular Laker alum hockey addicts (without connections) can say much during this off season...gesh, its been a long time... *Yawn*

Btw, bakdraft: twas a pleasure to meet you in Minneapolis, and my apologies that we didn't meet again. I was the beneficiary of an all-expenses-paid junket, and had to hustle stuff around the scheduled games in repayment as a result.

Thread title idea, seeing as Oswego's about to get clobbered with the summer variety - Thundersnow Express 2012 to Placid. It seems like such a unnatural phenomenon to any weather nut NOT from Oz. As much as I admired MN, the simplicity and atmosphere of Placid is something I deeply enjoyed. It just seems ironic to remember seeing Van Boxmeer start on the team at the same point I started class at Oz, and now he's coming to the wire as a senior. If our transfers get to the task and gel even just marginally better than last year - heck, lets go again. I want to see HVB lift some hardware!

57 days to Elmira, and counting. Hockey is on the way.
                          would have loved to have been in Minny but I was NOT, must have been a wiseguy using my name, ill track him down for sure.........

Comment

Mountie, I was actually referring more to Laker Ranger's comment about the transfers gelling than your thread title idea. Boots is the only transfer that seemed to have some trouble gelling but only because he never had line mates that came to play every single night. Hare is probably third string so he really doesn't need to do a lot of gelling with anyone and Carr has done just fine and has been on the team for a season and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                              would have loved to have been in Minny but I was NOT, must have been a wiseguy using my name, ill track him down for sure.........
                              Haha, geez - must've been a wiseguy who just watches the forums consistently. Pretty sure he used your name. Thou is sorry for the mixup, but... that is amusing

My mistake, Laker28 - I should have just said "new recruits", cause you're quite right - Oz is thin in transfers this year. Perhaps Gosek may pick up one or two on the side as the season progresses. From last season, Beckwith was a real backbone with the defense, and it really seemed like they missed him when the backups went in. There just didn't seem to be nearly as much defensive cohesiveness when DJ or Hare was in, and hopefully it will only get better this year. With Beckwith in his final bout...I'll bet we'll see the best out of him yet.

This new crop coming in - could be extremely exciting. Really looking forward to "New Carr" living it up to his mad Junior skills at the CC, but I'm dumbfounded with Smrke...that is one hilariously big guy. He must be about 6'10" with skates, no? If he can play so nimble on ice for a forward with the Lakers, put the man in front of the net whenever the zone is under attack. It would be like planting a redwood in the netminder's LOS every time. Someone that dwarfs Singleton and HVB blows my mind.

Anyone speculating about who the new Laker captains will be? I'll throw out there Mather (seasoned, intelligent) as top gun, with Boots (wicked offense skills) and Van Boxmeer (defensive backbone) as alternates.
                              "To all those graduating with a heart that will forever beat for hockey at a certain place on Lake Ontario...
                              this is for you."
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Screw rebuilding - we RELOAD here!

Comment

Working...
                              X