• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oswego State Hockey 2011-2012 Season

Originally posted by CardFan View Post
    Any score updates with Utica!
    One period played, 0-0.
    This young man has had a very trying rookie season, what with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well... I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle. Number six, Ogie Oglethorpe.

Comment

[QUOT0-0E=CardFan;5320493]Any score updates with Utica![/QUOTE]0-0 going into the 2nd in a few mins

Comment

another pen already wow..oz enough already

Comment

How to describe this game? I am lost for words. First thing obviously is that I have never seen a game officiated like this - NEVER! I honestly have no idea how many penalties were called on each team, I lost count at eleven each! Best thing to say, Lakers defense was great, great, great! I thought the team started to pick it up towards the end of the 2nd period and played very well in the 3rd. This could have been a very exciting game between two very good teams but the refs ruined it for the most part.

Comment

Refs were awful, some of the penalties on both teams were puzzling to say the least. Oswego's penalty kill was excellent and the defense was very solid. The first period was pretty poorly played by both teams with Utica catching iron a couple of times but it got better in the second before the refs killed it. Utica has some pretty bad shooters, they had a lot of decent attempts that never came close to the net. It was a big win for the Lakers as they really looked like they were playing inspired for the first time in several games.

Comment

I thought the officiating was excellent for a Peewee game. I have never seen a college game where stick calls were so tight?? Was also suprised this wasn't a chippy, more physical game.
              2012-2013 Last Person Standing Champion
              2012-2013 SUNYAC Pick'Em Champion
              2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2016-2017 D-III Pick'Em Challenge Champion
              2013-2014 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Champion, 2014-2015 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Co-Champion
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Losers Bracket Loser Champion
              2014-2015 Atlantic Hockey Pick'em Champion

"A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet.” - Paul Gallico

Comment

Originally posted by Laker28 View Post
                Refs were awful, some of the penalties on both teams were puzzling to say the least. Oswego's penalty kill was excellent and the defense was very solid. The first period was pretty poorly played by both teams with Utica catching iron a couple of times but it got better in the second before the refs killed it. Utica has some pretty bad shooters, they had a lot of decent attempts that never came close to the net. It was a big win for the Lakers as they really looked like they were playing inspired for the first time in several games.
                GREAT to see that they played inspired hockey, from listening, it seemed like there was a sense of urgency or was that my bladder..well the refs I guess wanted to be noticed, good refs are the ones you dont even know they are there.......9 more regular season games 8 SUNY, and we all know how hard everyone of those games are...I have more confidence after this weekend...Must also say good job by coach Gosek fri night, but what will we see after this penalty filled game, Im sure us Oz fans will have a lot to say this week

Comment

The write up by Mr. Jaslow is spot on. I would have to agree with several of those who have commented on the ref's tonight. They were the woste I have ever seen going back to the mid 80's when I started watching Laker hockey. The 5 minute major and game misconduct on both players tonight were some weak calls. The one on Anderson, the Utica player lost his edge just before he got hit which made it look worse than it was. I heard that one of tonighs refs does the semi-pro games down by Elmira maybe as punishment for a bad game he was sent to Oswego??
                  Utica fans were great and thanks for braving the weather. Saw Sean Fitzgerald at the game, he looks like he could lace up a pair, put a jersey on, grab a stick and help out. The Lakers had Lady luck on their side tonight and sometimes you need that. A good start to the second half of the season.
                  Oswego'89

Comment

that hit on Josepher on the other hand was nasty, he very easily could have broken his neck on that hit. I'm sure the Utica player didn't do it with malicious intent and he was just really into the game and a little overzealous, but i do think the 5 min major and game DQ was warranted. It doesn't matter how into the game they are safety should be the #1 priority.

With that being said i wonder with after the Nuemann game and all the blatant penalties there the refs decided to send a message that the players are being watched very closely.
                    Last edited by OSU2010; 01-14-2012, 11:19 PM.
                    http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

DIIIfan, Sylvester does ref semi pro/pro games. I have seen him ref a bunch of Syracuse Crunch games and he is just as bad at that level. He seems to call every little thing that he sees and doesn't let anything slide. It is a shame as he took away from the flow of what could have been an even more exciting game. By the way the posts should be credited with 3 saves in the first period lol. I wish there was a stat out there for this, but tonight I think is the first time I have seen a team have that few shots on net by the end of 2 periods.

Comment

Originally posted by DIIIFan View Post
                        The write up by Mr. Jaslow is spot on. I would have to agree with several of those who have commented on the ref's tonight. They were the woste I have ever seen going back to the mid 80's when I started watching Laker hockey. The 5 minute major and game misconduct on both players tonight were some weak calls. The one on Anderson, the Utica player lost his edge just before he got hit which made it look worse than it was. I heard that one of tonighs refs does the semi-pro games down by Elmira maybe as punishment for a bad game he was sent to Oswego??
                        Utica fans were great and thanks for braving the weather. Saw Sean Fitzgerald at the game, he looks like he could lace up a pair, put a jersey on, grab a stick and help out. The Lakers had Lady luck on their side tonight and sometimes you need that. A good start to the second half of the season.
                        Oswego'89
                        1. We appreciate the compliment. Those of us who did behave ourselves, anyway. The weather was even worse having to come up from rochester. I ended up 15 mins late and thankfully parked myself right behind the utica bench. Sometimes it all works out in the end!

2.You guys played a great game tonight. I can't take much of anything away from Oswego tonight, other than i think Smith should have started over Therrien for Utica to be completely honest. Therrien was not sharp at all tonight and it definitely hurt, especially when he turned it over right in front of the cage. It's called covering the puck and it's a fundamental part of the position. Not a smart choice.

The excessive trips to the sin bin really put the game in laker hands. As we've learned time and time again, you can't enter a special teams battle with Oswego and expect to win. Per usual, you guys took advantage of your Powerplay ops later on to put that game out of reach and force the majority of play into the Utica zone. whereas, Utica was 0-for-12. (ouch). And then, you take it one step further and not just score one, but two shorthanded.

To be honest, i was working on picking last week's games and moreso thought that this was going to be the story of the neumann game, Figuring that neumann would take their normal rash of undisciplined penalties and your potent PP unit would take care of the rest. greatly surprised that it didn't actually happen that way although i saw how chippy things were getting. They more than made up in that area tonight.

3. I met Mountieboyoz on the way to the car.... fun fact. All i had to hear him say was something about Elmira's failure to win in tournament situations and i knew it was a poster. Fantastic meeting you, sir.

Best of luck down the stretch.
                        Last edited by vcxc3200; 01-15-2012, 12:08 AM.
                        Our bite is worse than our bark....
                        Top guys, out.

Comment

I saw you from afar I think. Did you have a Santiago jersey on? I was along the glass taking pics as per usual with my Indians hat on.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerAlum09 View Post
                            I saw you from afar I think. Did you have a Santiago jersey on? I was along the glass taking pics as per usual with my Indians hat on.
                            You caught me!
                            Our bite is worse than our bark....
                            Top guys, out.

Comment

The game was officiated terribly and really took away from the flow. Lakers do have to cut on the unnecessary penalties, but some were ridiculous. Let the guys play the game. Te game turned on that second Leimbrock goal on that giveaway by Utica. Smith should have started because it would've been 8 goals for Oz if Smith didn't come in. Glad the Lakers are finally working themselves out of the offensive funk in time for conference play.

It was my daughter's first hockey game and she loved it. We convinced her that Hare was saying hi to her when he skated over to smack the corner boards. She did say open your eyes your missing a great game to the ref. I'm so proud of her.

Also, good to meet vcxc3200. I put the feeler out when I said the line about Elmira. Always fun to meet posters on the board.
                              Twitter: DanMountSports
                              2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                                Also, good to meet vcxc3200. I put the feeler out when I said the line about Elmira. Always fun to meet posters on the board.
                                I find it ironic an Oswego fan was calling out Elmira for tournament situation failures.

Save 2007, Oswego has been the poster child of that.
                                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X