This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oswego State Hockey 2011-2012 Season

Steele Hall has forever been and forever will be a dump.
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
      Steele Hall has forever been and forever will be a dump.
      It's just like every other rink the SUNY that isn't Oswego or Plattsburgh basically. I wouldn't call them dumps though. I don't think any of the SUNY rinks are terrible. You want some bad barns...Come to the CCCP.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

I thought Buff state actually had a really nice arena, very large and open.
        http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          It's just like every other rink the SUNY that isn't Oswego or Plattsburgh basically. I wouldn't call them dumps though. I don't think any of the SUNY rinks are terrible. You want some bad barns...Come to the CCCP.
          Potsdam's rink says hello.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Mountie, Maxcy Hall aka The Dungeon I don't know if it was just me but it seemed like they don't want to turn all of the lights on. Cortland Alumni Arena is like a concrete bunker built as a bomb shelter during the Cold War Genny's is okay and from the looks of it Freddy and Buff don't look that bad either. Stafford is a nice rink and that is hard for me to admit The IcePlex in Mo'ville is interesting to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerAlum09 View Post
              Mountie, Maxcy Hall aka The Dungeon I don't know if it was just me but it seemed like they don't want to turn all of the lights on. Cortland Alumni Arena is like a concrete bunker built as a bomb shelter during the Cold War Genny's is okay and from the looks of it Freddy and Buff don't look that bad either. Stafford is a nice rink and that is hard for me to admit The IcePlex in Mo'ville is interesting to say the least.
              I've been to all of them. The Ira at Genny is decent and Buff State's is OK. I do like Stafford, but the other ones are cookies cutters (B'port, Cortland) or dumps (Freddy, Potsdam, MoVille.) I've also been to the Domes. (needs better lighting). Hobart's (so freaking cold), and a couple others.

Comment

Sage at Hamilton is a band box and could use an expansion for seating, but then again how many people go to their games. I agree with the Domes their little field stanchion lighting is not that great. It's like they are playing outside. That and the mold or whatever it is on the roof is what brings the Domes down on my list. Mo'ville is like an igloo like the Cooler in Hobart. The only one's I have not been to are Steele, Buff St., and Brockport's rink.

Comment

Here's the :58 to 10:16 mark of the 3rd period from Saturday at Buff. St. that I uploaded for my demo reel...

Will have full highlights later.
                  WNYO and Oswego State Hockey Play by Play Announcer 2009-13 currently broadcasting for the NAHL's Keystone Ice Miners and still loving DIII hockey

Comment

Originally posted by OSUPBPMike View Post
                    Here's the :58 to 10:16 mark of the 3rd period from Saturday at Buff. St. that I uploaded for my demo reel...

Will have full highlights later.
                    once again many thnks for the video..

Comment

Sage at Hamilton is a band box and could use an expansion for seating, but then again how many people go to their games. I agree with the Domes their little field stanchion lighting is not that great. It's like they are playing outside. That and the mold or whatever it is on the roof is what brings the Domes down on my list. Mo'ville is like an igloo like the Cooler in Hobart. The only one's I have not been to are Steele, Buff St., and Brockport's rink.
                      I have to admit that we are now spoiled with playing at the campus center in Oswego. We have short memories of our days in Romney. Most teams called it "the Pit". We allways had alot of good times in the Pit. But those days are over and I'm not going back.
                      In talking to our Canadian friends many still play outdoors in the land of the maple Leaf.

Comment

We're second in both polls out, I'm going to be watching the Platty-Norwich game this weekend, will be interesting to see how things play out, if Norwich falters we might be at the top again... not that I'm complaining about being ranked #2 in polls that don't mean anything .
                        http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

PBP MIke - your usual fine commentary on that youtube clip - thanks for posting.

Buff St. building looks very much like Ira, isn't it. If I recall, brockport is the same layout, while Steele has all seats on one side.
                          MJBeckman
                          Oswego '93
                          Great Lakers Hockey - WNYO, WTOP, Oswegonian
                          1991-1993
                          2007 D-III NATIONAL CHAMPS!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mjbeckman View Post
                            PBP MIke - your usual fine commentary on that youtube clip - thanks for posting.

Buff St. building looks very much like Ira, isn't it. If I recall, brockport is the same layout, while Steele has all seats on one side.
                            Buff State and the Ira are pretty much the same rink and very similar to the old stafford arena.

I still say every SUNY rink is basically the same outside of Oswego and Plattsburgh.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                              We're second in both polls out, I'm going to be watching the Platty-Norwich game this weekend, will be interesting to see how things play out, if Norwich falters we might be at the top again... not that I'm complaining about being ranked #2 in polls that don't mean anything .
                              Could care less about the polls, or the Checks for that matter lol...BUT WHO has Castleton played this yr and Y R they #3...I am sure Prez will enlighten me

Comment

I don't think Cortland is too bad, the rink itself is fairly well maintained even if the rest isn't to great (could use a better snack bar ). I was there last year for the Oswego game that went to overtime and it was electric, the students really came out for it and it was a great exciting game, not to mention my fiancee went to Cortland so she thought they were going to win and just like that we pull one out lol.

As for other rinks Morrisville is what to expect from a newer D-III program but still draws decent crowds, Hobart is nothing but an icebox, the one time I went there I nearly froze my toes off standing on the metal bleachers (does not make sense to have metal seats in a freezing cold ice rink). The Utica Aud is big but is showing its age and could really use a facelift. And Hamilton is somewhat strange to me just because the sight lines are not that great, I had to move around a couple of times to get a decent view, the ones above the goal sorta cut off the end line and behind the goal and the sides are blocked by the benches and penalty boxes. I know a lot of people feel the CC is to modern and doesn't have the same feel as the old rinks, but it does have some of the best sight lines of any rink, not really a bad seat in the house.

Also just a side question for anyone who knows a lot about the Campus Center, I have always wondered if it would be possible to have a setup for the basketball teams to be able to play in the campus center sorta like what Syracuse does with the Dome, I know a lot of schools use their hockey arenas as basketball arenas(Wisconsin). I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this have ever been discussed or is even possible because it could help draw more students to the games being a central location then at the Gymnasium.
                                Last edited by LakerFan11; 11-21-2011, 06:26 PM.
                                Oswego Class of '11

2012-13 ECAC-West Pick-Em' Runner-up
                                2013-14 Last Person Standing Third Place
                                2014-15 National D-III Pick'Em Runner-up

Oswego State Lakers
                                D-III National Champs 2007
                                SUNYAC Champions: 1980-82, 1984, 1989, 1991, 2003, 2010, 2013, 2014
                                NCAA D-III Frozen Four: 1987, 2003, 2007, 2010-14

Comment

Working...
                                X