Notre Dame going Independent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Notre Dame going Independent?

It does seem that some of you are really quick to shoot this down. It may not make the most sense to us, but given what has happened since the Big Mistake Hockey Conference was announced, I would say anything is possible at this point and there are some valid points in this. It's Notre Dame, and no offense to them, but it's not like we are talking about Western Michigan going this route.
    Dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's listening, live each day as if it's your last...

Dirty - I'd be more suited to be the hockey coach at NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
      Its funny, I can actually hear the trembling in your voice praying this doesn't happen.
      I'm sure the rest of the NCHC wouldn't be thrilled if this happens as well.

Comment

And I guess as an independent Notre Dame would still be eligible for the NC$$ playoffs thru their Pair Wise Ranking Only????
        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          With sincere apologies to Red Cloud...
          Are you ****ing serious?
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            We're talking about hockey still, right?
            Casual viewers. College hockey fans will watch North Dakota play Denver. The casual sports watcher wouldn't know that these two teams are supposed to two of the best in the country, so they would rather watch a basketball game between 2 schools that are middle of the road in a power conference.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              We're talking about hockey still, right?
              Yeah... because when the average person was flipping through the channels and momentarily stopped to see the Frozen 4 semifinal between UND and Mich they probably asked, "Why the hell is Notre Dame wearing green?" Whilie UND is a bigger name on these boards and 7 > 0, to those not in the know, Notre Dame hockey > North Dakota hockey.

I am not saying Notre Dame will go independent, nor am I saying that someone should give them any time on TV if they wanna keep their job, but dg has paraded out the NCHC as the smartest business move of all time, and I'm pointing out that calling out Notre Dame with some of the things he's said is funny. Let's put it this way: if DU wanted a different team in the NCHC and was praying Notre Dame stayed away, he'd have a **** press release about how Notre Dame was going independent.
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I've always been independent.
                Bob is making me concerned
                I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                  I'm sure the rest of the NCHC wouldn't be thrilled if this happens as well.
                  For sure, but nobody's cheerios would be more urine-filled that morning than dg's. Luckily he'd have a big bowl of crow to wash it down with.
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Just to start off at the beginning.

Why would the Big Ten want to give Notre Dame 24 games a season while they're not in the conference? That makes them a de facto associate member regardless of what Delany or whoever claims. All the bonus of Big Ten association without bringing the football team along. That's basically the dead last thing I'd expect to see the Big Ten do, considering that their long term goal still has to be luring Notre Dame as a full member.

I'm sure in whatever setup Notre Dame ends up they'll still play Michigan, Michigan State, etc., but to make a deal where 2/3 of their schedule is set? Can't imagine them agreeing to that.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post

Why would the Big Ten want to give Notre Dame 24 games a season while they're not in the conference? That makes them a de facto associate member regardless of what Delany or whoever claims. All the bonus of Big Ten association without bringing the football team along. That's basically the dead last thing I'd expect to see the Big Ten do, considering that their long term goal still has to be luring Notre Dame as a full member.

I'm sure in whatever setup Notre Dame ends up they'll still play Michigan, Michigan State, etc., but to make a deal where 2/3 of their schedule is set? Can't imagine them agreeing to that.
                      From a Minnesota point a view they will not have enough games to schedule Notre Dame on a year in and year out basis.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                        For sure, but nobody's cheerios would be more urine-filled that morning than dg's. Luckily he'd have a big bowl of crow to wash it down with.
                        We fans don't have any control over what Notre Dame, DU, UND, Miami, CC, UMD or UNO decide or do. You would be better spent using your acerbic wit and vast energy asking SCSU's President why he didn't want to join the NCHC.
                        Last edited by dggoddard; 08-05-2011, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                          Notre Dame has maybe 200,000 alumni...
                          Actually it's closer to 100,000 than 200,000 I believe.

Here's the deal on this independence thing. Tom Nevala, Associate AD, made an off-hand and obligatory remark to the South Bend Tribune about Notre Dame looking at all their options when deciding where their interests would be best served in the new landscape for college hockey. "Other than joining the Big 10, we are looking at everything, even independence," were basically his words.

Everyone has been running with, and reading too much into those statements for a month now. Something everyone needs to understand is just how viscerally Notre Dame clings to it's independent status for the football team. So much so that sometimes, even among those at the very top of the athletic department food chain, that attitude creeps forth in statements made to the media about anything to do with athletics. While they stubbornly clung to independence in their men's basketball program for far too long, they likely won't make that mistake (and I think that's what it would be) in the hockey program. Making the NCAAs in our sport is too important, and giving up an extra chance to reach that goal (the playoff auto-bid if your regular season stumbles a bit) outweighs whatever attractiveness there is in going it alone.

There has been some recent scuttlebutt on another website that the delay in making their destination known publicly is due to a difference of opinion among the coaching staff and the athletic department on where that actually is. Supposedly one side wants Hockey East, the other wants the NCHC. This is not what I have been led to believe. While I have no definitive source to cite, my understanding is that Notre Dame has known for a while now where they want to be and this Notre Dame fan wishes we would just crap or get off the pot. Notre Dame is looked at all too frequently as being arrogant when it comes to just about anything, and especially when it comes to athletics. Dragging our feet publicly because we are so confident that anyone would welcome us with open arms -- even if that is entirely the case -- only serves to perpetuate that belief.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                            If Texas has their own TV network, so will ND - their hockey team will be very happy there in stunning HD. The end.
                            No one in the US even cares enough about the NHL to warrant extensive TV coverage on anything but a leper channel like VS; you really think these same audiences are going to care about one college hockey team? There will never be a national tv deal with college hockey; it's far too regional.

Rudy aint walking through that door
                            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                              No one in the US even cares enough about the NHL to warrant extensive TV coverage on anything but a leper channel like VS; you really think these same audiences are going to care about one college hockey team? There will never be a national tv deal with college hockey; it's far too regional.

Rudy aint walking through that door
                              I like college hockey and I would prefer to watch notre dame's girls tennis over notre dame boys ice hockey.
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post

There is that as well. I could see Wisconsin still being in that mix, but signing up with home and home deals? That's going to be a bit much, even with the amount of NC games that the BTHC schools will want to fill. Especially with the party line from Delany being, "Join the Dark Side, get a cut of our Giganormous TV network deal that your football program alone will increase everybody's overall share, oh, and have a free Cookie!!!"
                                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                                X