PDA

View Full Version : Penn State in Outdoor Game

Neil Diamond
08-05-2011, 07:04 AM
The Philadelphia Flyers and N.Y. Rangers will play in this year's NHL Winter Classic outdoor game January 2nd. The supporting game is Penn State v. the AHL's Philadelphia Phantoms:

"Flyers President Peter Luukko, the driving force behind Philadelphia's bid for the Winter Classic, confirmed that games featuring the American Hockey League's Adirondack Phantoms and Penn State University men's hockey team are in the works"

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2011-08-04-winter-classic_n.htm

A college club team (with a storied three month history behind it by the time the game rolls around) playing against an AHL team.

Ummm...

drshoen
08-05-2011, 07:10 AM
I don't think Penn State is playing against the Phantoms; the way I'm reading the article is that both of them will play outdoors, but not against each other.

Nick Papagiorgio
08-05-2011, 07:23 AM
PSU should play Wisconsin and call it the "We killed college hockey classic"... Alvarez and Pegula can drop(dead) the ceremonial first pucks.

FlagDUDE08
08-05-2011, 07:46 AM
I don't think Penn State is playing against the Phantoms; the way I'm reading the article is that both of them will play outdoors, but not against each other.

I very much agree, given "games" was said.

Ohio State, mayhaps? They only have 33 games and have a little bit of a break in there.

bronconick
08-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Yeah, Penn State's current club team against an AHL team might not be a very good game.

LynahFan
08-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Yeah, Penn State's current club team against an AHL team might not be a very good game.
I thought casual fans like to see a lot of scoring?

bronconick
08-05-2011, 08:37 AM
I thought casual fans like to see a lot of scoring?

The scoring would make up for the fact that outdoor games are usually unwatchable as far as hockey goes.

cetihcra
08-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Penn State is playing Neumann College, reportedly. Neumann should win, but it might be close.

r

LtPowers
08-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Penn State is playing Neumann College, reportedly. Neumann should win, but it might be close.

That depends; is it Neumann's varsity team or their club team?

((Oh, and they're Neumann University now...))

Powers &8^]

4four4
08-05-2011, 11:54 AM
und should play du and call it the "we killed college hockey classic"..

fyp.

Neil Diamond
08-05-2011, 12:21 PM

You're probably right.

That's what I get for creating a thread before the first coffee of the morning.

Hockeybuckeye
08-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Instead of an AHL team maybe Penn State will be playing with themselves.