Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA, CCHA talk merger (08-03-11)

http://www.sent-trib.com/bgsu-sports...erger-08-03-11

On a positive note this would be a pretty good league and remember you can't blame UND or DU anymore.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Re: WCHA, CCHA talk merger (08-03-11)

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    http://www.sent-trib.com/bgsu-sports...erger-08-03-11

On a positive note this would be a pretty good league and remember you can't blame UND or DU anymore.
    Terrible idea, why would the Have-nots give up an autobid that could potentially go to the Haves as an at-large?
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

How do you think NMU would vote on this

Comment

I'd vote no. But then again I don't really care about the CCHA, including Notre Dame.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Sounds like another great way to give the cold shoulder to UAH.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
            Terrible idea, why would the Have-nots give up an autobid that could potentially go to the Haves as an at-large?
            Who are the "Haves" in this situation?

The only reason this plan makes any sense is that with a 10 team league a majority of teams wouldn't have to travel to Alaska twice or possibly three times in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              Who are the "Haves" in this situation?

The only reason this plan makes any sense is that with a 10 team league a majority of teams wouldn't have to travel to Alaska twice or possibly three times in the playoffs.
              The "Haves" would be the members of the BHHC.

Comment

Possible Schedule:

28 Games. You play every team in your division four times, plus a natural rival four times [UAA-UA, MTU-NMU, SCSU/BSU/MSUM-BG/FSU/LSSU] and the remaining four teams in the other division twice.

The teams going up there each season could go up on the same week as another school and flip-flop. Viola - One trip to Alaska per year and possibly no classes missed if they can swing it over breaks.

Assume the Alaska schools could cover the hotel bill as it would save on airfare. You could shave two days off the hotel bill by scheduling a Saturday-Sunday series the first weekend and Thursday-Friday series the second weekend

West
                UAA
                MTU
                SCSU
                MSUM
                BSU

East

UA
                NMU
                BG
                FSU
                LSSU
                Last edited by dggoddard; 08-04-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I'm with you, why give up those automatic bids ???

Comment

ND will inform the CCHA of its decision at the league's annual summer meetings Aug. 15-16 in Dearborn, Mich., ND associate media relations director Tim Connor said.
                    Once the Fighting Irish announce their decision, the rest of college hockey's realignment is expected to be completed quickly.
                    This is the key to everything, once they decide where they will be playing teams will begin scrambling for conferences and entry into them.

Comment

Interesting that the CCHA-WCHA held the meeting in Chicago as this was the site of the "secret meeting" in Feb. for Super League ADs. Wonder if it was held in the same airport hotel?

Comment

Agreed! If the CCHA can stay viable, that is one less bid in the at large pool.
                        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                          Agreed! If the CCHA can stay viable, that is one less bid in the at large pool.
                          I suspect the 28 guaranteed league games plus lots of games against natural rivals trumps the auto-bid. Follow the $$$.

Comment

If an autobid was worth that much, the CHA would still exist. Not surprising that this is at least being looked at.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

In my opinion, a merger of this type would be detrimental to the growth of the sport.

When it comes to future expansion, the B1G will only take their own. The NCHC will likely only add teams that can improve their "brand". The Eastern conferences are currently packed, and would likely only expand for big programs (ie Notre Dame). A combined WCHA-CCHA would have little room for growth, and would leave some existing teams out in the cold.

I liked the idea of WCHA pulling some CCHA teams to get to 6-8, and CCHA pulling AHA teams to get to at least 6-8. Doing that would create ample room for growth for new teams in the East and West, and give UAH a great shot at finding a new home. If a huge, big $$ program steps up to start hockey, no conference will refuse them, regardless of how packed the conference is. However, smaller programs that might be thinking about making the jump are far more likely to do so if they have viable options for conference affiliation.

I realize that a merger like this is probably very appealing to many of the teams left behind in CCHA, but I don't think it is the right move...
                              RPI Pep Band Ex-Ex-Ex-...-Ex Conductor

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985
                              UConn Basketball 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

Comment

Working...
                              X