Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA, CCHA talk merger (08-03-11)

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Syracuse has its own issues with the sports they have now. Not to mention, where are they going to play? Certainly not Tennilly. They aren't getting a team anytime soon.
    Right, but I'm talking a few years down the road. In a few years, they could easily get a check, put shovels in the ground, and have a brand new state of the art arena up and ready to go, easily by about 2015 or so. Not saying that's when its going to happen, but that's a spitballin' guesstimate of the earliest it could happen. And being ready for that possibility to happen before then would be a lot better than waiting a few more years in the AHA, while the remaining CCHA teams go WCHA, calling them up and asking, "Hey, Syracuse is going D1 now and is looking for a league. Do you guys still wanna play with us? We'll even put up with that mostly paid for Alaska trip now." I can't imagine that the remaining CCHA schools would really want to come running then, especially since by then they would likely have to start over with getting an autobid for that conference then, instead of preserving it for then. Meanwhile, Hockey East or ECAC is in touch with the Orangemen, and figuring out a way to shoehorn them into their leagues.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
      Right, but I'm talking a few years down the road. In a few years, they could easily get a check, put shovels in the ground, and have a brand new state of the art arena up and ready to go, easily by about 2015 or so. Not saying that's when its going to happen, but that's a spitballin' guesstimate of the earliest it could happen. And being ready for that possibility to happen before then would be a lot better than waiting a few more years in the AHA, while the remaining CCHA teams go WCHA, calling them up and asking, "Hey, Syracuse is going D1 now and is looking for a league. Do you guys still wanna play with us? We'll even put up with that mostly paid for Alaska trip now." I can't imagine that the remaining CCHA schools would really want to come running then, especially since by then they would likely have to start over with getting an autobid for that conference then, instead of preserving it for then. Meanwhile, Hockey East or ECAC is in touch with the Orangemen, and figuring out a way to shoehorn them into their leagues.
      And what are they going to do to be in compliance with Title IX? They already have a women's team.

Comment

McLeod will be in Fairbanks on Monday...

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20110...|text|Umbrella

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          My preference ...
          WCHA: UAA, UAF, SCSU, BSU, MSU, Tech, NMU
          CCHA: FSU, BGSU, LSSU, Mercyhurst, RMU, Niagara, Canisius, UAH
          Independents or BHHC (as if I care ...): Notre Dame, WMU

And I'll just restate (not to be a *****) ... a future WCHA without UAF isn't acceptable to us UAA fans. I don't see interlocking scheduling agreements as the same thing as being conference mates ... and it just isn't. And remember ... UAA and UAF never get to play more than the NCAA maximum 34 game schedule. I think that it would be proper and definitely good form for the WCHA to bring UAF in. Lesser action is a slap in the face.
          I have said this before. I would like to see UAF in the WCHA, but I also want 8 teams. Who that 8th team should be? I am not sure at this time.
          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

"Easily" and "get a check" don't often go together. There aren't a lot of Terry Pegulas out there. And do you really thing the Orange would play the CCHA with BG and Ferris. IF, and that's a bit IF, they do add, they'd be more likely to look at Hockey East.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post

Ummm... are they STUPID? They'd be willing to pass up a chance to hand out scholarships, be bigger fish in the pond and get extra games some/most years because they are that afraid to go to Alaska? Will someone tell these East Coast liberals that Palin is usually in the lower 48 these days?
              Probably! But you have to realize that for a lot of those Northeast locales, Alaska might as well be the moon.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Spydey629 View Post
                Got a link on that? I know at least half of the "AHA-4" would love the two extra home games, and I'd wager it's more like 3 of the 4.
                There are plenty of articles discussing the AHA-to-CCHA move that say one of the stipulations for moving to the CCHA is that they don't want Alaska in the conference.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  And what are they going to do to be in compliance with Title IX? They already have a women's team.
                  Beats me, I'm just spitballin' ideas, and Syracuse seemed to be the best local to the AHA schools that should have Men's College Hockey. Could be then, could be another school perhaps that would fit fairly well into the footprint of the retooled CCHA. And heck, that could be anybody from about Toronto to Kentucky to Chicago pretty much.
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                    There are plenty of articles discussing the AHA-to-CCHA move that say one of the stipulations for moving to the CCHA is that they don't want Alaska in the conference.
                    Donald paid them all to say that.
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Here is the reality on travel: the CCHA worked for Fairbanks because you can fly Fairbanks-Seattle-Detroit or Fairbanks-Seattle-Chicago and be a decent bus ride from your destination. The exceptions were the UP schools. Regardless, a flight with one connection(Seattle) is not bad. It's a long flight, but very doable.

Now, to get from Fairbanks to anywhere in New York or PA in winter, you're looking at a two-connection trip. That means twice the chance of problems, twice the chance of hitting bad weather at a connecting point, and basically adding about 4 to 5 hours on the trip, not counting bus time. That makes travel a much bigger issue. IMO.

Seems kinda silly to me to worry about having to fly up there for one weekend a year when they cover most of the plane trip. Fine then, Swap Huntsville and Fairbanks around, and then work out the early interlock deal so that the AHA's don't have to go to Alaska. Once they're in, then they can be scheduled to go to the North for the interlock.

One measly trip a year, they cover a good chunk of it, and you get the option of playing 2 extra games to boot out of it, which could be done either at home, or at another school for a non-con payday. Still think that my plan would work out pretty good even for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                        Its always interesting to hear the arguments against Alaska schools because of Alaska travel, because those are mostly myths solidly dispelled on this board years ago.

What is also interesting is to hear the complaints about travelling ...
                        Okay, a few questions for you about travel to Alaska -
                        • Do the CCHL teams fly to FAI using commercial or charter? If commercial, are they generally able to get their travel party (~30 people, I would guess) on the same flights or do they have to break up their travel party into two or more groups?
                        • What type of fare reimbursement does UAF provide to the schools? Full, partial, set amount?
                        • Will UAF be willing to continue paying travel on the same terms given that they would no longer be in the same conference with Mich, MSU, OSU, Notre Dame and Miami?
                        GO PURPS!
                        Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

As far as the main point of the thread goes:

Both leagues have to at least discuss merging as a last-resort / fall back / doomsday scenario. If the AHA-4 balk, either one adding Huntsville doesn't do any good, one would still be stuck at 5 teams.

That said, I don't think a merger happens. The auto bid is too much of a recruiting tool to give up. What would you rather compete for - a bid against 7 other teams, or 9?

Ideally, this is how this all shakes out:

WCHA: UAA, BSU, MTU, Mankato, NMU, SCSU.
                          CCHA: UAH, BGSU, Canisius, Ferris, Mercyhurst, Niagara, RMU

That leaves both with 6 solid teams. UA_, Lake State, and Western are the "wildcards" that could go with either conference and be fine. WMU could still end up in the Nat, for all we know. If Moorhead gets the funding, they have a slot open in the WCHA.

If it plays out well, Alabama-Huntsville gets a home and both conferences have at least seven teams each, pending what the three wildcards end up doing.
                          Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

Beats me, I'm just spitballin' ideas, and Syracuse seemed to be the best local to the AHA schools that should have Men's College Hockey. Could be then, could be another school perhaps that would fit fairly well into the footprint of the retooled CCHA. And heck, that could be anybody from about Toronto to Kentucky to Chicago pretty much.
                            When you win the lottery isn't Grand Valley going to the CCHA?
                            "My greatest achievement."
                            Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

1. Commercial. Alaska Airlines has roughly 1,000 seats a day into Fairbanks in the winter, all 737's so no vomit comet puddle jumpers.

2. I believe it's 20 tickets.

3. I sure as hell hope that gets negotiated down some.

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
                              Okay, a few questions for you about travel to Alaska -
                              • Do the CCHL teams fly to FAI using commercial or charter? If commercial, are they generally able to get their travel party (~30 people, I would guess) on the same flights or do they have to break up their travel party into two or more groups?
                              • What type of fare reimbursement does UAF provide to the schools? Full, partial, set amount?
                              • Will UAF be willing to continue paying travel on the same terms given that they would no longer be in the same conference with Mich, MSU, OSU, Notre Dame and Miami?

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                                1. Commercial. Alaska Airlines has roughly 1,000 seats a day into Fairbanks in the winter, all 737's so no vomit comet puddle jumpers. 2. I believe it's 20 tickets. 3. I sure as hell hope that gets negotiated down some.
                                If anything I would expect it may be negotiated up. I believe the Alaska travel issue it more talk then not.

Comment

Working...
                                X