Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA, CCHA talk merger (08-03-11)

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Agreed! If the CCHA can stay viable, that is one less bid in the at large pool.
    Well, if there was no question at all that the CCHA could stay viable, they wouldn't have been having this discussion. Obviously the question of long-term survival for the CCHA is an unknown, so it would be in their best interests to consider another option.

The major problem is that the three teams not assumed to be gone to other leagues (BGSU, Ferris and LSSU) have had question marks in recent history about the future of their program, and those questions are arising again now that they have no big-time partners. Worst case scenario is that the new CCHA has six teams, four recently taken from an East Coast league (in which two have been playing with the same East Coast partners for over a decade); yes, that preserves their autobid, but is it really a stable conference? Adding UAH doesn't really add any extra stability either.

The question the CCHA leftovers have to be asking themselves is: Do we really want to willingly be relegated to third-tier status, in a conference built on shaky ground, now that our best five programs have walked or are all but gone, all for the sake of maintaining an autobid? NMU obviously didn't. WMU doesn't. The rest don't have much of a choice.

They would be foolish not to at least explore all potential options, is really the main point I'm going for.
    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Nah, give them to the NCHC. With 6 teams, plus Western Michigan, they go up to 8. They need a cupcake in that league, anyway.
      They already have UMD for the cupcake team.
      Bob is making me concerned
      I am the voice of reason

Comment

I don't really like the idea of both leagues meaging. However, I do like the idea of them working out a deal for an interlock schedule. Say both leagues get to 8 teams, ideally with the Alaska schools in separate leagues, and a home for Alabama Huntsville as well. With each league at 8, and with both getting a trip to Alaska every year, that's 28 games right there. If they wanted to, they could give each other 8 games and lock out the other schools save for the schools that both go to Alaska. I think they could work out a deal to where they would get 4 interlock games per year, and that would give them all room to get a few other games as well. Some of the schools that are fairly close, like MTU and NMU could opt to there they host one school Friday night, and then host the team that was at the other school the other night.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
          The major problem is that the three teams not assumed to be gone to other leagues (BGSU, Ferris and LSSU) have had question marks in recent history about the future of their program, and those questions are arising again now that they have no big-time partners. Worst case scenario is that the new CCHA has six teams, four recently taken from an East Coast league (in which two have been playing with the same East Coast partners for over a decade); yes, that preserves their autobid, but is it really a stable conference? Adding UAH doesn't really add any extra stability either.
          So why would the WCHA want these 'unstable' programs?

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
            They already have UMD for the cupcake team.
            I think that's the first time I've ever heard the team that just won the national championship be referred to as a "cupcake".

Comment

I think that's the first time I've ever heard the team that just won the national championship be referred to as a "cupcake".
              You'll have to excuse Skeeterman's deep hate for the dogs. The last 2 years UMD has had a **** good team. But if you look what they have done over the last 11 years in the WCHA, he does a have a point being that they have a winning season 5 out of the last 11 years under their current coach.

With that being said, at least when they have a good team, they have made it count. FF appearance, Conference Tournament title, and now National Title.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronzebacks View Post
                With that being said, at least when they have a good team, they have made it count. FF appearance, Conference Tournament title, and now National Title.
                Which is why, as an SCSU fan, Skeets is so bitter
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Biddco, I'm bitter too. SCSU has not been able to get the job done when we have had all of the tools necessary to do so. In all fairness, it did take you 50 years to complete the same task.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                    Because it beats playing with yourself?
                    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

One advantage of the rest of the parts pooling together is a stable pool from which to schedule. I hate to remind people of this, but schools are not going to do what you want because you think its a good idea... they aren't going to go for 20 game schedules, they aren't going to go for small leagues. Small leagues of disparate interests can turn on their heads quickly... I'd think all the maneuvering of the mid-west D2 schools would tell that already.... nevermind the results of the last couple of months. So, 6-7 team leagues are really unstable to begin with especially when at the fringes. The Big12 at least as something that binds them together. The Western League (I ain't calling them that) could see itself fall apart but each program is essentially stable with a common goal.

Also note that while shares of NCAA bids may be enticing... having a stable core amongst several members is something to build on.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        _untsville becomes a lot more stable if they were to be admitted to the WCHA than the CCHA in my opinion.
                        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

When was the last time tne National Champion was a usually below .500 in their own conference and moving to a more competitive conference in the near future?
                          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Oh, screw this whole GD sport.

No surprise, Huntsville on the outside looking in once again.

Hard to hang out with people who simply don't want you around.
                            UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                            2006 Time Person of the Year
                            Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                            It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Another thing that they might want to hash out there at the meeting is the long term prospects of MSU-Moorhead being a viable school? If they're not going to be ready to come online til the 2015-16 season, that could be a problem as well, as it would cause some imbalances. Especially if things work out to where both leagues can work it out that they're ready to be at 8 schools each by 2013-14. Simple way around that would be to promise UAH a home in the CCHA then when the Dragons go online in the WCHA, and the both leagues would be at 9 schools and could use the interlock there to work out a good number of games to fill out a schedule. During conference play, each league would have a school in need of a dancing partner. They could work out a deal that would get both leagues to 8 schools for the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons, and a promise to UAH from both leagues to keep them afloat with a number of home games from both leagues members. 9 would be too much for everybody to do a home and home series and still have room for both interlock and other non-conference games, but you could work out something to were each team in each league would play 4 league members home and home for 16 games, then 2 league members away for 4 games, then the last 2 members at home for 4, which would then give them a total of 24 league games a year. Throw in say 6 games a year from the Interlock, and well, you're scheduling is pretty well done for the year.

Something to ponder anyways....
                              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                                Another thing that they might want to hash out there at the meeting is the long term prospects of MSU-Moorhead being a viable school? If they're not going to be ready to come online til the 2015-16 season, that could be a problem as well, as it would cause some imbalances. Especially if things work out to where both leagues can work it out that they're ready to be at 8 schools each by 2013-14. Simple way around that would be to promise UAH a home in the CCHA then when the Dragons go online in the WCHA, and the both leagues would be at 9 schools and could use the interlock there to work out a good number of games to fill out a schedule. During conference play, each league would have a school in need of a dancing partner. They could work out a deal that would get both leagues to 8 schools for the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons, and a promise to UAH from both leagues to keep them afloat with a number of home games from both leagues members. 9 would be too much for everybody to do a home and home series and still have room for both interlock and other non-conference games, but you could work out something to were each team in each league would play 4 league members home and home for 16 games, then 2 league members away for 4 games, then the last 2 members at home for 4, which would then give them a total of 24 league games a year. Throw in say 6 games a year from the Interlock, and well, you're scheduling is pretty well done for the year.

Something to ponder anyways....
                                Just worked it out a little here, it would be fairly easy for both leagues to get to 8 I think right now.

UAF, UAA, BSU, SCSU, Mankato, MTU, NMU, and LSSU all into the WCHA.
                                FSU, WMU, BGSU, UAH, Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, Niagara, and Caniasus into the CCHA.

That is of course assuming all 4 of the AHA schools sign off on the deal. And the NCHA gets the prize of the Irish and doesn't grab WMU as well. And frankly, I could see this interlock deal between the new CCHA and WCHA schools being a real hardship on the NCHA. Odds are, when they're looking for more non-conference dates, those schools are going to be a little more likely to entertain offers from the BTHC schools simply because they can offer a better deal for them, along with putting a school on the schedule that has national clout to the average Joe Sixpack. Thus, that would mean that the NCHA is likely going to have to look east a lot for more of their non-conference opponents. But with them having the Irish who has hinted that they would want some more games with the power schools out east, that might not be such a bad deal for everybody all around there.

It just happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X