WCHA, CCHA talk merger (08-03-11)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    The word "week" implies that they'd play 4 games vs. Anchorage in one week then leave.
    Then wouldn't the Alaska schools have to do the same thing the next year in the lower 48?? Hell, I bet MTU is really chomping at the bit to host anchorage on a Monday or Thursday night there.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

• Re: WCHA, CCHA talk merger (08-03-11)

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
      Then wouldn't the Alaska schools have to do the same thing the next year in the lower 48?? Hell, I bet MTU is really chomping at the bit to host anchorage on a Monday or Thursday night there.
      Hey, I like playing Anchorage at home.
      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        Correct. The BHHC will lose the market all together and kids today want to be seen on tv as much as possible. If by chance FSN can work out a deal with the WCHA then all the better. Mark my words the BHHC Twin Cities market within ten years will have dried up and only the kids watching Gopher games and maybe WCHA games will be shown to them. If the BHHC doesn't find a way to get on a weekly game on Versus imo leaving the WCHA was all for not. Who knows maybe ten years from now the WCHA will be finding a way to get four or more teams in the NCAA. It is going to be interesting.
        That But Hurt Hockey Conference is one of the stupidest/silliest names for a hockey conference, sounds like sour grapes. Your scenario is just as silly if you think that MSU-M, SCSU, MTU and who ever ends up being in the WCHA is going to draw more of a television audience than UND, Miami, DU, UMD, UNO and C.C. yeah ok, I have some swamp land in Northern Minnesota to sell you.
        Last edited by Goon; 08-13-2011, 05:24 PM.
        Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
        Eric's Twitter
        The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

• Originally posted by Goon View Post
          That But Hurt Hockey Conference is one of the stupidest/silliest names for a hockey conference, sounds like sour grapes. Your scenario is just as silly if you think that MSU-M, SCSU, MTU and who ever ends up being in the WCHA is going to draw more of a television audience than UND, Miami, DU, UMD, UNO and C.C. yeah ok, I have some swap land in Northern Minnesota to sell you.
          What is swap land?

Comment

Swamp land, the server at work wouldn't let me go back and change it. I had to wait till I got home.
            Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
              That But Hurt Hockey Conference is one of the stupidest/silliest names for a hockey conference, sounds like sour grapes.
              Eric I am a Gopher fan and you know that. How is it sour grapes? IMO, sour grapes are when UND, DU etc. leave because they feel left behind and I am fine with them forming their own league.

Originally posted by Goon
              Your scenario is just as silly if you think that MSU-M, SCSU, MTU and who ever ends up being in the WCHA is going to draw more of a television audience than UND, Miami, DU, UMD, UNO and C.C. yeah ok, I have some swamp land in Northern Minnesota to sell you.
              If you look back at my post you will see I am talking about the Twin Cities market. IMO, the WCHA will have more people viewing their games on tv in the Mpls/St.Paul market vs. the new conference.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

So this theory about UND, DU, etc. not getting Twin Cities player once they leave the WCHA. How does leaving the WCHA matter? I thought it was already decided that the Gophers were going to spend all their non-conference games against Minnesota schools, so what does it matter what league UND or DU are in? They won't play Minnesota either way and therefore won't ever be seen on FSN. Please do enlighten me as it seems that lately a few Gopher fans are all knowing about UND's future.
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

• Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
                  What is swap land?
                  What the white man kept doing to Native Americans.
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

If you look back at my post you will see I am talking about the Twin Cities market. IMO, the WCHA will have more people viewing their games on tv in the Mpls/St.Paul market vs. the new conference.
                    I would question that one as well and I would be happy to have a wager with you, there are a lot of UND fans in Minnesota and the Metro area and do you think more people would rather watch MSU-M and SCSU over say UND and UMD or UMD and DU? Whose to say that FSN keeps doing college hockey?
                    Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                      Please do enlighten me as it seems that lately a few Gopher fans are all knowing about UND's future.
                      They all have crystal balls...
                      Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                        What the white man kept doing to Native Americans.
                        Taking and swapping are not the same thing.
                        "My greatest achievement."
                        Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                          I would question that one as well and I would be happy to have a wager with you, there are a lot of UND fans in Minnesota and the Metro area and do you think more people would rather watch MSU-M and SCSU over say UND and UMD or UMD and DU? Whose to say that FSN keeps doing college hockey?
                          Either way UND, UMD, DU etc. lose the Twin Cities market and it is the most important recruiting market west of Chicago. By losing the Twin Cities my guess is the new conference will have a harder time trying to penetrate it. As time goes by I bet more Minnesota kids choose to stay in state so their families and friends can watch them play within four hours of home.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Either way UND, UMD, DU etc. lose the Twin Cities market and it is the most important recruiting market west of Chicago. By losing the Twin Cities my guess is the new conference will have a harder time trying to penetrate it. As time goes by I bet more Minnesota kids choose to stay in state so their families and friends can watch them play within four hours of home.
                            So UND will move out of ND?
                            "My greatest achievement."
                            Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

So many WCHA and CCHA people (fans, administrators, etc) have played that "what's best for college hockey card. But it's funny, because some of the same people that were unhappy that Michigan and MSU didn't want to play them anymore because they weren't big enough or glamorous enough, are now opposed to playing Mercyhurst or Robert Morris because those schools arent big enough or glamorous enough. If they no do what's "best for college hockey," the WCHA will admit Alaska-Fairbanks, the CCHA will add Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, Canisius, Niagara and Alabama Huntsville. The big question is will those who talk about doing what's best, actually do what's best at this point?
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                                Correct, but that is because they played in the WCHA and their parents could travel by car to watch them in state. They will only have one chance to do that in two years instead of four chances they had in the past. Plus by media I mean newspaper, TV news highlights and TV broadcasts. Not to mention even schools like UND have been getting way more twin city kids over the last ten years than ever before and a lot of that has to do with FSN and the final five. All that will be gone.
                                Don't get me wrong. Loss of exposure of a program is never a good thing, and I for one will miss terribly the Final Five and seeing UND play a lot of games close to Grand Forks.

But in the last 10 seasons, this is the roster of Twin Cities kids who have chosen to play at UND:

Brandon Bochenski
                                Brendan Connelly
                                Ryan Connelly
                                Scott Foyt (Andover, MN)
                                Matt Smaby
                                Todd Alexander
                                Taylor Chorney
                                Joe Finley
                                Ben Blood
                                Corey Fienhage
                                Joe Gleason
                                Danny Kristo

While there are some very good players on that list (and some forgettable ones as well) it's not like the Twin Cities is the primary source, or even a major source, of players for UND.

It's also interesting to see that at least lately, it's almost exclusively defenesmen, which I hadn't really thought about.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X