HEA Belt           Boston College         Massachusetts 03/09-11/2012
    WCHA Belt          Minnesota              Alaska Anchorage 03/09-11/2012
    Ivy Belt           Yale                   Harvard 03/09-11/2012
    B1G                Michigan               TBD
    NCHC Belt          St Cloud State         Nebraska Omaha 03/09-11/2012
    New England Belt   Boston College         Massachusetts 03/09-11/2012
    Massachusetts Belt Merrimack              TBD
    Michigan Belt      Michigan               TBD
    Michigan Alternate Western Michigan       Lake Superior State 03/09-11/2012      
    Michigan Alt 2     Northern Michigan      TBD
    Minnesota Belt     Minnesota              TBD
    New York Belt      Rensselaer             Union 03/09-11/2012
    Belts don't transfer until the end of a multigame playoff series.
    Corrections are appreciated.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-06-2012, 12:14 AM.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Re: The College Hockey Championship Belt Part III

So we are pretty much guaranteed that the Alternate belt will be unified with The Belt this weekend correct?
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        So we are pretty much guaranteed that the Alternate belt will be unified with The Belt this weekend correct?
        Next weekend in the CCHA semi-finals or championship game, but not this weekend.

I see Northern Michigan's alternate belt listed as next season. That's probably correct, but I'd love to play around with the pairwise projector to see if they still have a possibility (however unlikely) of making the tournament.
        Hail! Hail! to Michigan, the champions of the CCHA (2010-11 regular season)!

Comment

Originally posted by quack View Post
          Next weekend in the CCHA semi-finals or championship game, but not this weekend.

I see Northern Michigan's alternate belt listed as next season. That's probably correct, but I'd love to play around with the pairwise projector to see if they still have a possibility (however unlikely) of making the tournament.
          Good point about NMU. I fixed that.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I am a little out of the loop, here. What are the rules governing alternative belts and CCHA shootouts? I assume that is the reason for the alternate belts. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
              I am a little out of the loop, here. What are the rules governing alternative belts and CCHA shootouts? I assume that is the reason for the alternate belts. Thanks.
              An alternate belt is created for a shootout. The challenger gets the alternate, since in a tie, the belt would not transfer.

Comment

Ralph, I'm a little curious... how long has Miami, Wisconsin, or Sacred Heart held the Red/White Belt?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Ralph, I'm a little curious... how long has Miami, Wisconsin, or Sacred Heart held the Red/White Belt?
                  Here's the history:

Red And White Belt
                  Code:
                  01/31/1908 Cornell defeated Rensselaer
                  01/29/1909 Rensselaer
                  02/16/1924 Cornell
                  01/10/1925 Boston University
                  03/14/1953 Rensselaer
                  03/04/1960 Boston University
                  12/12/1960 Rensselaer
                  01/02/1964 Cornell
                  12/04/1968 Rensselaer
                  03/04/1969 Boston University
                  03/07/1969 Cornell
                  12/01/1970 Rensselaer
                  01/04/1971 Wisconsin
                  03/16/1972 Boston University
                  01/03/1973 Rensselaer
                  02/17/1973 Boston University
                  12/29/1973 Rensselaer
                  02/16/1974 Boston University
                  01/06/1979 Cornell
                  02/13/1980 Rensselaer
                  02/07/1981 Cornell
                  12/03/1983 Boston University
                  03/10/1984 Rensselaer
                  03/01/1986 Cornell
                  12/28/1986 Wisconsin
                  01/13/1988 Boston University
                  12/10/1988 Cornell
                  12/29/1988 Boston University
                  01/06/1989 Wisconsin
                  12/29/1992 Boston University
                  11/06/1993 Rensselaer
                  10/28/1994 Boston University
                  10/17/1998 Rensselaer
                  02/19/2000 Cornell
                  11/04/2000 Sacred Heart
                  02/21/2003 Miami
                  02/22/2003 Sacred Heart
                  01/24/2004 Rensselaer
                  02/20/2004 Cornell
                  02/24/2006 Rensselaer
                  11/17/2006 Sacred Heart
                  10/20/2007 Rensselaer
                  12/15/2007 Miami
                  04/11/2009 Boston University
                  12/11/2009 Rensselaer
                  01/14/2011 Cornell
                  11/26/2011 Boston University
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

An alternate belt is created for a shootout. The challenger gets the alternate, since in a tie, the belt would not transfer.
                    That is correct. I was thinking that maybe we are doing this a bit wrong for shootouts. If someone wins in a shootout they get an Alternate Belt. That's fine, but it may not make sense to award a second Alternate Belt to another team that wins in a shootout before the two existing Belts are unified.

That is because the Alternate Belt is going to the team that wins by any means, including shootouts, and if that Belt already exists, it may not make sense to give another to a second team winning a shootout.

I will leave things as is because I am lazy, but I am interested in opinions, assuming that what I said was understandable.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      That is correct. I was thinking that maybe we are doing this a bit wrong for shootouts. If someone wins in a shootout they get an Alternate Belt. That's fine, but it may not make sense to award a second Alternate Belt to another team that wins in a shootout before the two existing Belts are unified.

That is because the Alternate Belt is going to the team that wins by any means, including shootouts, and if that Belt already exists, it may not make sense to give another to a second team winning a shootout.

I will leave things as is because I am lazy, but I am interested in opinions, assuming that what I said was understandable.
                      I agree with this new idea. Alternative Belt for shootout wins cannot be split again for shootout win. This means that there is more record keeping necessary. You may need a notation like "Alternate Belt (SO)" to distinguish from Alternate Belts due to other factors such as missed playoff competition.

Comment

I agree with this new idea. Alternative Belt for shootout wins cannot be split again for shootout win. This means that there is more record keeping necessary. You may need a notation like "Alternate Belt (SO)" to distinguish from Alternate Belts due to other factors such as missed playoff competition.
                        Considering Hockey East is the only league that hasn't instituted the Union Rule and they don't have shootouts, it should be obvious where the alternates exist. Here's what I'm thinking:

An alternate belt ONLY gets created for shootouts if the team who is challenging for the belt "wins" by virtue of a shootout. The tie rule remains in effect, but the consideration is given to the team who "won". No alternates if the team who has the belt wins the shootout.

Comment

Considering Hockey East is the only league that hasn't instituted the Union Rule and they don't have shootouts, it should be obvious where the alternates exist. Here's what I'm thinking:

An alternate belt ONLY gets created for shootouts if the team who is challenging for the belt "wins" by virtue of a shootout. The tie rule remains in effect, but the consideration is given to the team who "won". No alternates if the team who has the belt wins the shootout.
                          FlagDUDE - a couple of points.
                          1 - Shootouts exist in holiday tournaments as well. Some of the belts here can be on the line in those tourneys.
                          2 - When the conferences change in a year, there could be many alternative belts floating around.

3 - What is the Union Rule? Is it something like "All conference teams qualify for the conference tourney?"

and, 4 - I thought the rule for shootouts already was, "Alternate Belt if the challenger wins in shootout." Reason being: No belt changes hands in a tie. Game ends in a tie, so no belt change. Then, shootout is played to satisfy holiday tourney rules, or CCHA rules. NCAA does not count results. But, challenger wins shootout. Alternate Belt.

I thought Ralph was thinking about a situation where, say, NoMich has an alternate CCHA belt, and then loses a shootout to, say, Bowling Green. No need for a 2nd alternate belt here, because NoMich has the alternate belt as a result of winning the SO already. So, for that alternate belt, SO wins change the belt. So, if NoMich loses a shootout, they have to lose the Alternate Belt as well.

If that makes sense?

Comment

Flag,

Sorry. I looked at your post again, and it sounds like I was preaching to the choir. Let me clarify my comment about more record keeping:

I was thinking about a case where an Alternate Belt existed for reasons other than shootout. Like, Vermont ends the season with the HE belt but does not qualify for the postseason, so the postseason champ gets an Alternate Belt. (Can this happen for the regional belts???). This belt supposedly could be split if there were a shootout situation?

Now, let's say NoMich takes the CCHA belt in a shooutout. If NoMich loses a shootout to a different opponent the next week, they lose that belt. It can't be split again, because its rules are "SO wins count as wins".

Oh, and, by the way, what is the rule if a CCHA team has "The Belt," and loses a shootout in CCHA play? Alternate Belt?

Thanks again.

Comment

FlagDUDE - a couple of points.
                              1 - Shootouts exist in holiday tournaments as well. Some of the belts here can be on the line in those tourneys.
                              2 - When the conferences change in a year, there could be many alternative belts floating around.

3 - What is the Union Rule? Is it something like "All conference teams qualify for the conference tourney?"

and, 4 - I thought the rule for shootouts already was, "Alternate Belt if the challenger wins in shootout." Reason being: No belt changes hands in a tie. Game ends in a tie, so no belt change. Then, shootout is played to satisfy holiday tourney rules, or CCHA rules. NCAA does not count results. But, challenger wins shootout. Alternate Belt.

I thought Ralph was thinking about a situation where, say, NoMich has an alternate CCHA belt, and then loses a shootout to, say, Bowling Green. No need for a 2nd alternate belt here, because NoMich has the alternate belt as a result of winning the SO already. So, for that alternate belt, SO wins change the belt. So, if NoMich loses a shootout, they have to lose the Alternate Belt as well.

If that makes sense?
                              Flag,

Sorry. I looked at your post again, and it sounds like I was preaching to the choir. Let me clarify my comment about more record keeping:

I was thinking about a case where an Alternate Belt existed for reasons other than shootout. Like, Vermont ends the season with the HE belt but does not qualify for the postseason, so the postseason champ gets an Alternate Belt. (Can this happen for the regional belts???). This belt supposedly could be split if there were a shootout situation?

Now, let's say NoMich takes the CCHA belt in a shooutout. If NoMich loses a shootout to a different opponent the next week, they lose that belt. It can't be split again, because its rules are "SO wins count as wins".

Oh, and, by the way, what is the rule if a CCHA team has "The Belt," and loses a shootout in CCHA play? Alternate Belt?

Thanks again.
                              In holiday tournaments, the official record shows a tie. The NCAA does not recognize shootouts (although the league does); I'm not sure how RPIndex/PWR is affected. No alternate belt is necessary.

The Union Rule is where all teams in a conference make the playoffs. Union College was a perennial basement dweller in the ECAC prior to this rule (although they now enjoy some regular season success).

That can't happen for regional belts, as Niagara had held the New York Belt for the rest of the year after RPI coughed it up. Eventually they'll play each other again (although RPI has NEVER played Canisius, who is in Buffalo).

Comment

Flag,

Thanks again.
                                Alternate Belts for other reasons (basically bottom two HEA teams or UAH having a Belt) aren't a problem.

What you are saying is half of what I was suggesting. The other half is that if, as you wrote, NMU has an Alternate Belt from beating say LSSU in shootout, then if say the next week BGSU beats LSSU they won't get a second Alternate because the shootout Alternate is already somewhere. A problem would occur however if there was then a shootout in an in-season tourney since that could be considered different from CCHA shootouts.
                                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-06-2012, 02:57 PM.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X