I don't get College Hockey Inc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't get College Hockey Inc.

I just don't understand the function of this organization. Do they have any input in the college hockey world? Is College Hockey Inc. orchastrating the timultuous change in the college hockey world we are witnessing this summer? I just do not see a significant role by CHI.

Maybe I am not paying close enough attention...as I am often accused of at home...

Re: I don't get College Hockey Inc.

College Hockey Inc. is intended to act primarily as a marketing arm in an effort to bring the visibility and reputation of NCAA hockey versus Major Junior hockey. I doubt that they played any active role in the tumult except in perhaps conversations which grew out of their overall strategy.

As I used to hear in boring insipid corporate business meetings ... College Hockey Inc. issues reside at the 35,000ft level and the conferences fly at the 20,000ft level. I know .. I know; corporate america sucks hard at metaphors.

Comment

It probably doesn't look to good right now that 4 pretty good players who once were committed to colleges have decided to opt for the major junior route. Jamie Oleksiak leaves Northeastern after one season, and UND, BU, and BC all lose a talented recruit each. Its tough when major junior teams keep on pressuring players to come their way, while college hockey seems to simply wait and pray that the recruits will honor their verbal agreements.
      Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
        It probably doesn't look to good right now that 4 pretty good players who once were committed to colleges have decided to opt for the major junior route. Jamie Oleksiak leaves Northeastern after one season, and UND, BU, and BC all lose a talented recruit each. Its tough when major junior teams keep on pressuring players to come their way, while college hockey seems to simply wait and pray that the recruits will honor their verbal agreements.
        The pressure is defined as immediate financial benefit/enticement, coupled with an educational package vs playing Junior hockey for ? number of years to play NCAA! I don't see any pressure in this decision making process

College Hockey Inc. is losing the battle.
        Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          College Hockey Inc. is intended to act primarily as a marketing arm in an effort to bring the visibility and reputation of NCAA hockey versus Major Junior hockey. I doubt that they played any active role in the tumult except in perhaps conversations which grew out of their overall strategy.

As I used to hear in boring insipid corporate business meetings ... College Hockey Inc. issues reside at the 35,000ft level and the conferences fly at the 20,000ft level. I know .. I know; corporate america sucks hard at metaphors.
          And that visibility helps create an opportunity for someone from the college ranks to inform potential recruits of what they can/cannot do with a MJ team to remain eligible, what classes they need to take to make things easier on the clearing house. It's all about helping 15-16 year old kids make a decision with as much information as possible since NCAA coaches can't make the first move in contacting those players, but College Hockey Inc. can directly contact those players and educate.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I thought their function was pretty clear actually...sell kids/families on going the college route.

Comment

College Hockey Inc. began in November 2009, and serves as an educational and marketing arm for all of Division I ice hockey. As such, their job is to identify the elite players in North America and explain the benefits of playing in the NCAA opposed to Canadian major juniors. The company also does promotion for the NCAA through television and websites, and serves as an informational resource for schools considering making the jump from club to NCAA Division I.
              http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive...situation.aspx

Comment

It's starting to look like Miami is going to loose Connor Murphy (20th pick this year) as well.

Comment

I realize the organization is relatively new and creating a mindset that NCAA is the way to go is obviously not an easy task. But from a marketing perspective, I think there's a lot of potential work to be done, especially in the social media realm, to raise the profile of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                    I realize the organization is relatively new and creating a mindset that NCAA is the way to go is obviously not an easy task. But from a marketing perspective, I think there's a lot of potential work to be done, especially in the social media realm, to raise the profile of the sport.
                    I don't agree on the whole "social media realm" statement. Players from the US, especially in hockey prominent areas like New England, Minnesota, and Michigan usually have the goal of getting a college scholarship, especially growing up and watching the college game. Players in Canada grow up generally looking to get to the next level and playing in the OHL or WHL, and many current college players from Canada will even admit to not knowing too much about the college game growing up. It all comes down to recruiting these players, and their personal decisions whether to pass up education for some money and a possible quicker route to the pros.
                    Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

I don't agree on the whole "social media realm" statement. Players from the US, especially in hockey prominent areas like New England, Minnesota, and Michigan usually have the goal of getting a college scholarship, especially growing up and watching the college game. Players in Canada grow up generally looking to get to the next level and playing in the OHL or WHL, and many current college players from Canada will even admit to not knowing too much about the college game growing up. It all comes down to recruiting these players, and their personal decisions whether to pass up education for some money and a possible quicker route to the pros.
                      The problem for some of these players is they are making a decision between BCHL/AJHL (Junior A) and OHL/WHL (Major Junior) before college coaches are allowed to initiate contact. That's probably the biggest reason college hockey inc exists. To identify these players and initiate contact and make them (and their parents) aware of what choosing the CHL at such a young age means for their chances at playing for an american college team.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Perhaps college coaches should actually listen to what Paul Kelly and College Hockey Inc is saying......relax the rules and allow CHLers the opportunity to play. Seeing the drubbing that many of the elite schools are taking at the hands of the CHL, perhaps these coaches won't be so quick to scream for an excemption when the NCAA is changing its amature policy and rules.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                          Perhaps college coaches should actually listen to what Paul Kelly and College Hockey Inc is saying......relax the rules and allow CHLers the opportunity to play. Seeing the drubbing that many of the elite schools are taking at the hands of the CHL, perhaps these coaches won't be so quick to scream for an excemption when the NCAA is changing its amature policy and rules.
                          Pretty sure all those players got packages that would have excluded them from college by any definition of amateur.
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                            Pretty sure all those players got packages that would have excluded them from college by any definition of amateur.
                            And yet Russell Wilson and Chris Weinke can go play minor league baseball and still be allowed to play D1 football on scholarship after the fact...

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              And yet Russell Wilson and Chris Weinke can go play minor league baseball and still be allowed to play D1 football on scholarship after the fact...
                              Isn't that allowed because it's two different sports? They're still amateurs for football. Or am I misunderstanding the NCAA's rules?
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                              X