PDA

View Full Version : NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

mar7967
07-25-2011, 02:48 PM
@SkipBerryHockey on twitter ( www.twitter.com/skipberryhockey ) is reporting that NBC/Versus are close to announcing a deal which would feature a game of the week each Friday night, with each conference being featured a minimum of twice (Including AHA). I think this would be great for the expanding interest in the sport (even more if they put the games on NBC, but I guess small steps are a good start). What are your thoughts?

Rover
07-25-2011, 02:55 PM
My thoughts are I like it, but I'm real curious to hear from the same people who always say nobody watches college hockey and we'll never get to see it on TV (even though you can generally see several games on TV each weekend during the season). If true I think this just blew up the paradigm for certain posters.

CHFAN222
07-25-2011, 03:04 PM
While I like the potential for exposure I wouldn't get your hopes up unless you're a fan of a big team in each conference.

IMHO the games most likely to get the broadcasts:
HE: BU vs BC
AHA:Air Force vs Army (People will have somewhat of an interest in seeing military academies)
CCHA: Mich vs MchSt
WCHA: UMin vs Wisc or UND.
ECAC: Cornell vs Yale?

Other schools that might get a game in would be Notre Dame, UNH, Denver, and maybe Ohio State just because they are Ohio State and have that TV brand in other sports. Outside that I'm not sure which schools will get nationwide games.

Patman
07-25-2011, 03:08 PM
While I like the potential for exposure I wouldn't get your hopes up unless you're a fan of a big team in each conference.

AHA:Air Force vs Army (People will have somewhat of an interest in seeing military academies)

Other schools that might get a game in would be Notre Dame, UNH, Denver, and maybe Ohio State just because they are Ohio State and have that TV brand in other sports. Outside that I'm not sure which schools will get nationwide games.

Yes, but. Yes, but, it opens dates within current contracts for other games... if they're broadcasting BU/BC the same week that UNH and Maine (or an undercard, say UML/UMA) then both will get exposure, albeit at different levels.

Now, that may shift contracts down the road... but for now this would just increase exposure. It'll be interesting to see where this goes because my impression was that things like North Texas basketball tended to out-viewer NCAA Hockey... maybe that's a wrong impression. It could also be that VS wants to boost its hockey branding and that this is done w/ cooperation with the NHL.

MountieBoyOz
07-25-2011, 03:09 PM
ECAC needs Clarkson-SLU to be featured for one of the matchups.

CHFAN222
07-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Yes, but. Yes, but, it opens dates within current contracts for other games... if they're broadcasting BU/BC the same week that UNH and Maine (or an undercard, say UML/UMA) then both will get exposure, albeit at different levels.

Now, that may shift contracts down the road... but for now this would just increase exposure. It'll be interesting to see where this goes because my impression was that things like North Texas basketball tended to out-viewer NCAA Hockey... maybe that's a wrong impression. It could also be that VS wants to boost its hockey branding and that this is done w/ cooperation with the NHL.

I think the higher basketball ratings are do to the fact that basketball has always been marketed more by tv networks. The networks could see college hockey as a risk as opposed to broadcasting a mid major bball game especially when you consider that bball is more of a tv advertising friendly sport as opposed to hockey.

The Sicatoka
07-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Hockey is perceived as not telegenic. The advent of HD television has helped to change that.

FlagDUDE08
07-25-2011, 03:36 PM

Have them do, as a doubleheader, the games in Lake Placid!

pinch
07-25-2011, 03:36 PM
AIC vs Sacred Heart?

cross cheque
07-25-2011, 03:40 PM

Yeah! And the Friday after that can be UAA v Mankato! :rolleyes:

CHFAN222
07-25-2011, 03:41 PM
I would also be interested to see if they will try and purchase rights to the Beanpot.

Bronzebacks
07-25-2011, 03:45 PM

Ohh, that's too bad Cross Cheque....here you thought the NCHC was going to have Versus all to yourselves.:mad:

cross cheque
07-25-2011, 03:46 PM
I would also be interested to see if they will try and purchase rights to the Beanpot.

Now that would be a great idea, I hate watching it on the B2 network or whatever the hell internet site is trying to stream live.

claver2010
07-25-2011, 03:52 PM

The question will be that since NESN or CBS-College Sports have broadcasted all the BC/BU games recently what will be the pecking order for choosing the "Game of the Week". It wouldn't make sense to have two networks covering the same game when there are such limited tv opportunities.

aparch
07-25-2011, 03:57 PM
How are all conferences going to be covered twice if Versus/NBCSports isn't starting their hockey coverage until January (http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/schott/2011/jul/22/versus-may-be-interested-in-college-hockey-tv-pack/)?

That leaves you just eight to nine weeks of regular season play and three or two (respectively) weeks of playoffs. Maybe it's my "small school" math skills, but five (conferences) doesn't divide nicely into eight or nine. Sounds like it's going to be made up of mostly non-conference play.

And I doubt NBC is going to pay to broadcast on both Friday AND Saturday night. Too much setup/teardown for equipment for such a gamble. I expect one game a week ala the NHL package.

kingdobbs
07-25-2011, 03:59 PM
My thoughts are I like it, but I'm real curious to hear from the same people who always say nobody watches college hockey and we'll never get to see it on TV (even though you can generally see several games on TV each weekend during the season). If true I think this just blew up the paradigm for certain posters.

Well, I think part of the problem may be that college hockey never really got a national audience...for the regular season. For the most part, apart from CBS College Sports/CSTV and the BTN, regular-season games have been entirely on RSNs. The only real national exposure is during the NCAAs...when casual fan interest is turning to baseball, or following with bated breath the results of March Madness. It's really difficult for someone to pick up the game, when they don't even know who's playing (and not just "Who the hell is Ferris State", but "What's their deal? What kind of hockey do they play?").

Now I'm hardly saying it's a guarantee that more regular season exposure feeds that, but it couldn't hurt. CHI and Versus are definitely banking on the possibility that "if you show it, people will watch", and that the market for regular season hockey on a national scale is virtually untapped. In other words, we don't even know that the market's not there; nobody's tried yet.

The other thing, of course, is that good ratings for ESPN are probably quite a bit higher than what Versus would consider a good rating. A hit on Versus might be a flop for ESPN.

I'm not so sure it's not a test balloon by Versus for a more NCHC-centric contract down the line. Obviously the BTN is going to get a first crack at Big Ten inventory, so Versus might be looking for the best of the rest. If a Denver-Miami or Duluth-Omaha game draws decent ratings, they might consider upping their commitment to those teams to replace games they might lose to the BTN. If they don't, target another league. If the ratings just plain suck, "Well, we tried."

Spydey629
07-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Hmmm.... Friday nights? December 30, 2011 is a Friday night....

Ohio State @ Robert Morris, played at the Consol Energy Center...

I can dream, can't I????? :confused:

Spartanforlife4
07-25-2011, 06:20 PM

MSU-UM is already taken by FSD and BTN, probably the same with Minny and Wiscy. There will probably be ND vs B1G though. Actually, you can lock that since ND has the football contract.

How would the pecking order between VS and CBSCS work?

MountieBoyOz
07-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Say what you will, but Clarkson-SLU is a great rivalry and it will be great again once Tech gets things straightened out.

hockeyplayer1015
07-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Say what you will, but Clarkson-SLU is a great rivalry and it will be great again once Tech gets things straightened out.

Agreed. They have had atleast 2 meetings in the past handful of years on ESPNU, and hopefully will continue to get some shown.

But I'm not sure what you mean by it will be great again...? I'm pretty sure its one of those rivalries that records don't matter at all for any meeting between the two teams.