PDA

View Full Version : NBC/Versus deal with College Hockey

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22

kingdobbs
11-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Didn't they say they would broadcast every conference at least twice? I don't see an AHA game in there. You would think that the military academies would draw some interest.

It's entirely possible that they couldn't find any marketable games on weekends that weren't already booked for bigger names.

komey1
11-02-2011, 11:22 PM
That's enough for a game, isn't it?

Powers &8^]

RIT plays Holy Cross and Army before they start broadcasting. The RIT-Air Force Friday game is already being broadcast on CBSCS. For RIT-the other option wouild be against Niagara at the end of the year.

Ralph Baer
11-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Perhaps, once again, they got our schools confused. :eek: They have four ECAC games, 2 of which are RPI (the other two being Yale). I suspect that one limiting factor is which rinks have the space for enough cameras.

Tipsy McStagger
11-03-2011, 07:45 AM
How in the hell did Omaha get two games?

goldy_331
11-03-2011, 09:11 AM
How in the hell did Omaha get two games?

It's that huge TV market in Nebraska for hockey.

moose97
11-03-2011, 09:23 AM
I suspect that one limiting factor is which rinks have the space for enough cameras.

I love this argument. CSTV (back in the day) televised the CHA Tourney Championship game every year. They did it from Niagara's rink and from the USHL rink in Des Moines, IA. Then Bemidji State hosted at Grand Rapids (MN)'s IRA Civic Center (http://www.vintageminnesotahockey.com/ArenaIRA.html), which is by no means "TV friendly." What am I saying? If a station wants to do a game from somewhere, they can figure out how to make it happen...

JDUBBS1280
11-03-2011, 09:26 AM

I love this thread.

Hammy
11-03-2011, 09:40 AM

Must be that big name brand of the NCHC at work. :eek:

bigblue_dl
11-04-2011, 09:05 AM
It's that huge TV market in Nebraska for hockey.There are 2 things that happened here...

Someone at NBC doesn't know:
Hockey =/ Football
and
Omaha =/ Cornhuskers

bronconick
11-04-2011, 09:36 AM
I think it's just that they can find Omaha and Denver on maps and/or signs on the highway. The rest are in South Bend or the northeast, where they already know how to get there. The rest is "Where the fark is Kalamazoo/Duluth/Houghton/Bemidji/Oxford/etc? Let's go do a game in Boston again."

It's NBC, after all.

aparch
11-04-2011, 11:46 AM
There are 2 things that happened here...

Someone at NBC doesn't know:
Hockey =/ Football
and
Omaha =/ Cornhuskers
:D Shhhh. I can't wait to hear the announcers screw that one up and comment how the 'Huskers look good with the puck, and what a wonderful venue the Qwest Center is in Lincoln, Nebraska.

I think it's just that they can find Omaha and Denver on maps and/or signs on the highway. The rest are in South Bend or the northeast, where they already know how to get there. The rest is "Where the fark is Kalamazoo/Duluth/Houghton/Bemidji/Oxford/etc? Let's go do a game in Boston again."

It's NBC, after all.

http://www.jtbourne.com/puck-daddy/

Waiting for a Contract
-by Justin Bourne

There’s just no feeling like not knowing which city, league or state you’re going to be a part of just a couple weeks from now. For the low-level player, it can get pretty obscure. Which ECHL team called? Wait, Kalamazoo is a real place? I need a map. :D

FlagDUDE08
11-04-2011, 12:27 PM

It's NBC, after all.

They're doing two games at RPI. Do you know where that is? Don't look it up. ;)

mookie1995
11-04-2011, 12:37 PM
How is the money going to be divided up? Will BC/BU end up with the lions share or will all HE teams share Equally? Or just what.?

How much money is NBC paying the league?!? I read through this twice to make sure I didn't skip over it... But still came up empty.

Priceless
11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
How much money is NBC paying the league?!? I read through this twice to make sure I didn't skip over it... But still came up empty.
Whatever it is can't be much. I doubt we'll ever get anything official about how much it is.

New York City.

Right? Right? Oh ****, it's WHERE?

SCSU Euro
11-04-2011, 01:10 PM

RPI is usually listed between PWR and KRACH

Ralph Baer
11-04-2011, 01:31 PM
RPI is usually listed between PWR and KRACH

Not if they are in alphabetical order. :p

WeAreNDHockey
11-04-2011, 03:01 PM

Quite possibly nothing. I know the last few years that CART/Champ Car existed they were actually buying the network time to get the racing on network TV. And IIRC the first couple of years post lockout NBC was showing the NHL, they weren't paying for that either. The NHL was willing to trade the national TV exposure for a handful of games in the season's second half and weekends during the playoffs for what little money they would have commanded from a paying customer who offered less exposure.

joecct
11-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Well, NBC / VS might take a bigger role in college hockey if this goes down:
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/november/di+womens+basketball+committee+explores+sliding+to urnament+back+a+week?&utm_source=delivra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NCAA%20News%20Direct

FlagDUDE08
11-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Well, NBC / VS might take a bigger role in college hockey if this goes down:
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/november/di+womens+basketball+committee+explores+sliding+to urnament+back+a+week?&utm_source=delivra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NCAA%20News%20Direct

This was something I mentioned in Bear Red's thread about promoting the game, in that it would be terrific if NBC/Versus went after the rights to the Frozen Four, as it would really show their commitment to hockey. Not that they haven't shown a commitment already...

du78
11-21-2011, 01:57 PM
This was something I mentioned in Bear Red's thread about promoting the game, in that it would be terrific if NBC/Versus went after the rights to the Frozen Four, as it would really show their commitment to hockey. Not that they haven't shown a commitment already...

The big question is if NBC doesn't get involved does the Frozen Four get secondary status to the Women's Final Four on ESPN and affiliates and get put on a tape delayed basis in the middle of the night. Anyone know how long ESPN holds the rights to NCAA post-season play?